• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are you listening to? ver. 15.0

dedicated to the folks who experienced what Hannah is singing about

Slow blues white boy style.

Anyone, anywhere, ever listen to music that does not feature the guitar?

At some point, don't you get tired of the such a limited presentation?

Anyone, anywhere, ever listen to music that does not feature the guitar?

At some point, don't you get tired of the such a limited presentation?

Classical music and vocal music often do not use the guitar. I listen to a cappella vocal music. I also used to sing it. When my daughter was growing up she played the cello. I listened to a lot of orchestral music then. But why do you care? Why can't each of us listen to what we like?

Why can't each of us listen to what we like?

The mass market has so little exposure to non guitar based music that they never know what they may like.

But my question really was, how can one be content to listen to the same music over and over again?

Why are people so set in pop to the virtual exclusion of other music?

------------------------

All that said, be happy and enjoy whatever you enjoy. I firmly believe there is good music and there is great music, there is no bad music.

But there is so much great music! So much more than just pop.

We were watching an episode of the Amazing Race, contestants learned to play a few notes on a steel drum. Lots of fun, thusly

Why are people so set in pop to the virtual exclusion of other music?

Do you really know what "people" are "set on"? Just because of songs posted here? What I post here does not represent my whole life.

My best friend's mother had subscriptions to two opera companies when she was young enough to get out of her house and listened to opera all the time. My father evolved during his lifetime from liking some general genres of classical music to listening almost exclusively to chamber music in his old age. He loved string quartets and quintets. He knew all the pieces by the famous composers so when he was ill I did research on the internet and found string quartets by composers whose style was similar to composers he loved. He was able to lie in bed with headphones and his music and it made him smile.

And what about people who play instruments? My daughter was very musical as a child. She started playing piano before she was in school. When a string instrument was offered in third grade she started cello. In fourth grade the kids were allowed to toot something and choose a band instrument. My daughter, instead of dropping out of orchestra, added the clarinet and also joined the band. The next year she switched from clarinet to saxophone, staying in the school band and orchestra. Meanwhile my brother's children were playing the flute (two girls) and the cello (one) and the violin (the other). At Christmas I would get some sheet music and the girls would bring their instruments to play together. One year my Italian husband's classical pianist cousin and her kids came for Christmas. She played our (lousy) piano while the kids played. I also have the lyrics to Christmas carols printed out so that our whole family could sing them and know all the words.

People in my family have always always sung, not professionally but for the pleasure of it. My husband and I used to go to see a live performance of "The Messiah" at Christmas time every year. We took our daughter to her first performance at age two at a local church and she was entranced, quiet as a mouse. I think one of the best ways to enjoy music is to lift up your voice!

Back
Top Bottom