• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are we going to do about this recycling mess?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
China barely will take any anymore, I just got told that my garbage rates are going up because recycling bin stuff no longer has much if any value, it cost more to process than it is worth. I have also heard though have not investigated that glass has been zero value for years. I also hear though no one wants to talk about it that one bin recycling has huge spoilage rates, that a huge portion of what goes in them ends up at the dump anyways, after we spend sorting money on it.

Should we go back to citizens doing the sorting so that we can cut down on spoilage even though citizens dont want to do it and collection is more expensive?

Is there any way we are going to avoid super expensive garbage fees now that that the market place for recyclables barely functions?

Isn't this just another case of our leaders failing us...I mean we have been working on this hard for twenty+ years, and this is a wreck.

Last edited:
China barely will take any anymore, I just got told that my garbage rates are going up because recycling bin stuff no longer has much if any value, it cost more to process than it is worth. I have also heard though have not investigated that glass has been zero value for years. I also hear though no one wants to talk about it that one bin recycling has huge spoilage rates, that a huge portion of what goes in them ends up at the dump anyways, after we spend sorting money on it.

Should we go back to citizens doing the sorting so that we can cut down on spoilage even though citizens dont want to do it and collection is more expensive?

Is there any way we are going to avoid super expensive garbage fees now that that the market place for recyclables barely functions?

Isn't this just another case of our leaders failing us...I mean we have been working on this hard for twenty+ years, and this is a wreck.

Pennys cost more than they are worth to mint them, we already have enough in circulation to last 100 years yet we lose $20 million every year minting them.

Once you are committed to failure at a governmental level it’s just about impossible to break the cycle

What are we going to do about this recycling mess?....China barely will take any anymore, I just got told that my garbage rates are going up because recycling bin stuff no longer has much if any value, it cost more to process than it is worth. I have also heard though have not investigated that glass has been zero value for years. I also hear though no one wants to talk about it that one bin recycling has huge spoilage rates, that a huge portion of what goes in them ends up at the dump anyways, after we spend sorting money on it.

Red:
Seems like the non-consulting version of YACO to me.
  • YACO is "Yet Another Consulting Opportunity." The term refers to the expectation that consultants be careful observers of their clients' and potential clients' situation (qualities pertaining to people, process, technology and market) and avail themselves of that keen awareness and they business training to identify and propose development ideas that generate win-win outcomes for the firm and the client.
Your "red" remarks look to me like several paths to great money-making opportunities for the innovator who can figure out how to convert them into such.

Pennys cost more than they are worth to mint them, we already have enough in circulation to last 100 years yet we lose $20 million every year minting them.

Once you are committed to failure at a governmental level it’s just about impossible to break the cycle

It used to be that what got counted was how much stuff ended up in the blue bin.......the more the better and hip hip to the citizens making it happen "We are working to save the planet!".....in this notice I got about all this the people in charge are begging me almost to not put anything in the bin that is the least bit questionable.

This is new.

Red:
Seems like the non-consulting version of YACO to me.
  • YACO is "Yet Another Consulting Opportunity." The term refers to the expectation that consultants be careful observers of their clients' and potential clients' situation (qualities pertaining to people, process, technology and market) and avail themselves of that keen awareness and they business training to identify and propose development ideas that generate win-win outcomes for the firm and the client.
Your "red" remarks look to me like several paths to great money-making opportunities for the innovator who can figure out how to convert them into such.

Over the decades I keep hearing about some great new way we are using recycled product, but it looks to me like rubbish, because here we sit with non functioning marketplaces and the bosses where I live almost begging me to cut down on my use of the blue bin.

Over the decades I keep hearing about some great new way we are using recycled product, but it looks to me like rubbish, because here we sit with non functioning marketplaces and the bosses where I live almost begging me to cut down on my use of the blue bin.

As I wrote, the non-consulting version of YACO.

Great Piece up today:

At Taste:
For those of us who spent most of our lives painstakingly separating plastic, glass, paper and metal, single-stream recycling is easy to love. No longer must we labor. Gone is the struggle to store two, three, four or even five different bags under the kitchen sink. Just throw everything into one dumpster, season liberally with hopes and dreams, and serve it up to your local trash collector. What better way to save the planet?

But you can see where this is headed.

Americans love convenient recycling, but convenient recycling increasingly does not love us. Waste experts call the system of dumping all the recyclables into one bin “single-stream recycling.” It’s popular. But the cost-benefit math of it has changed
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-era-of-easy-recycling-may-be-coming-to-an-end/

Back
Top Bottom