• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are the top 10 Presidents of all-time?

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Two years ago, Siena College's Research Institute conducted their sixth survey on the best Presidents of all-time. They basically asked 157 presidential scholars, historians and political scientists to rank the Presidents from best to worst. Here's their top 10 in ranking order: Washington, FDR, Lincoln, TR, Jefferson, Ike, Madison, Monroe, Truman, and JFK.

I am curious what you guys think is the top 10 Presidents of all-time. Here is what I want you to do:

1. List your top 10 U.S Presidents of all-time. No ranking order.
2. Put in bold the President you like the best.
3. Donald Trump is ineligible for the list. I only want to see past Presidents.
4. Each bold marking is worth 2 points. Every other one is worth 1 point a piece.

I'll start the ball rolling.

George Washington (1st)
Thomas Jefferson (3rd)
James Madison (4th)
James Monroe (5th)
James K. Polk (11th)
Abraham Lincoln (16th)
Teddy Roosevelt (26th)
Calvin Coolidge (30th)
Franklin D. Roosevelt (32nd)
Dwight Eisenhower (34th)

Two years ago, Siena College's Research Institute conducted their sixth survey on the best Presidents of all-time. They basically asked 157 presidential scholars, historians and political scientists to rank the Presidents from best to worst. Here's their top 10 in ranking order: Washington, FDR, Lincoln, TR, Jefferson, Ike, Madison, Monroe, Truman, and JFK.

I am curious what you guys think is the top 10 Presidents of all-time. Here is what I want you to do:

4. Each bold marking is worth 2 points. Every other one is worth 1 point a piece.

George Washington (1st)
Thomas Jefferson (3rd)
James Madison (4th)
James Monroe (5th)
James K. Polk (11th)
Abraham Lincoln (16th)
Teddy Roosevelt (26th)
Calvin Coolidge (30th)
Dwight Eisenhower (34th)

Hard for me to parse an actual top ten list, but I like your inclusion of Polk. Underappreciated president.

I am partial to Lincoln bc I have read many books on him..deep thinker, humanitarian

Y isn't Reagan on the list?

Libs made the list... probable answer since most college professors and etc are libs

George Washington (1st)
Thomas Jefferson (3rd)
James Madison (4th)
James Monroe (5th)
James K. Polk (11th)
Abraham Lincoln (16th)
Teddy Roosevelt (26th)
Calvin Coolidge (30th)
Dwight Eisenhower (34th)

I agree with many on your list, especially Eisenhower and Coolidge. I have to spend some time thinking about my list. I don't know that it will include Teddy or FDR. My list will include Reagan.

I agree with many on your list, especially Eisenhower and Coolidge. I have to spend some time thinking about my list. I don't know that it will include Teddy or FDR. My list will include Reagan.

Coolidge???

But not Reagan....hmmmm

Harry S Truman gets overlooked; my father was a soldier in WW2 and he thought Truman never got the credit he deserved.......

Truman should be on there. Atomic bomb, started the Cold War, integrated the military, fired MacArthur, etc.

He was a hat salesman by trade before he became a politician.

"The buck stops here," was his motto. Unlike our current president who's always looking to pass blame.

Top spot is a tie between Bush Jr. and Obama for sure.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on those.

Teddy is my number one, the most progressive environmentalist to ever hold the office.

We would not have national parks if not for him.

FDR as well, if it weren't for his safety nets we would not only be in a recession right now we would be in a full blown depression ( soon to come anyway).

Reagan should be towards the bottom, his " Voo doo" economics have put us in the whole for half my lifetime.

Republicans follow his lead, we go into a recession a democrat takes office, builds a strong from the ground up, the way a strong foundation is built.

Then a bunch of dumbasses and Russians decided to put the most failed bussiman I charge of the nation.( I wouldn't trust him to weed my garden) and here we are

S
Edit: sorry for the word salad, small phone, no glasses, relyed on spell check....

Last edited:

George Washington (1st)
Thomas Jefferson (3rd)
James Madison (4th)
James Monroe (5th)
James K. Polk (11th)
Abraham Lincoln (16th)
Teddy Roosevelt (26th)
Calvin Coolidge (30th)
Dwight Eisenhower (34th)

I can only speak for the 10 presidents I've lived under and since Trump is still in office, that only leaves 9.

Reagan (1st)
--
--
--
--
--
--
Obama (8th)
Carter (9th)

Reagan Brought the economy back from the brink and was hands down the most inspirational president of my lifetime. I watched my parents take our family from lower middle class, to upper middle class during his time in office. He made people proud to be American again, which was quite an accomplishment coming out of the 70's where American pride was in short supply.

Jimmy Carter was a good man. A decent human being with a pleasant disposition, but unfortunately that translated into a very weak president. He was weak on foreign policy and took what was a so so economy and turned it into a disaster. The word "stagflation" says it all.

Obama had a chance to be a great president. He had great oratory skills, came into office with a chance to be an economic hero, and being the first black president, had the opportunity to make huge strides by further shrinking of the racial divide in the country. Unfortunately, he failed at both and even managed to make the racial divide substantially worse.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on those.

Teddy is my number one, the most progressive environmentalist to ever hold the office.

We would not have national parks if not for him.

FDR as well, if it weren't for his safety nets we would not only be in a recession right now we would be in a full blown depression ( soon to come anyway).

Reagan should be towards the bottom, his " Voo doo" economics have put us in the whole for half my lifetime.

Republicans follow his lead, we go into a recession a democrat takes office, builds a strong from the ground up, the way a strong foundation is built.

Then a bunch of dumbasses and Russians decided to put the most failed bussiman I charge of the nation.( I wouldn't trust him to weed my garden) and here we are

S
Edit: sorry for the word salad, small phone, no glasses, relyed on spell check....

That's okay. It isn't a contest to see who is right or who isn't. It's an opinion on historical figures. I wouldn't post my list expecting everyone to agree with it, and I wouldn't agree with everyone else's list. We all have our opinions based on many things, and the ask in the OP didn't list what basis for the list we have - just that we think about it.

Back
Top Bottom