• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Are The Roots of The Modern Left's Obsession with Promoting Sex/Hedonism?[W:165]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What Are The Roots of The Modern Left's Obsession with Promoting Sex and Hedonism

Yeah... They did "start" the Revolutions in question (or, at the very least, play a major, major role in inspiring them), and yeah they really kind of did "conspire" to do so, considering that a Hell of a lot of these people were running in the same circles, and bouncing ideas off of one another.

Millions of young adults didn't just up and decide to ditch college to travel in cruddy vans, stop bathing, burn bras, and get high as a kite for a living on their own. A small number of influential people put the idea out there that these were "good" things to do, and it snowballed from there.

I'm sorry, but the simple fact of the matter is that basically ALL of those people were on the Left, and basing their views off of Left Wing ideology. Many of them were also either Communists, or the Children of Communists. Some even worked with Communist organizations.

jesus christ, when are you going to stop blaming the fact that teenagers in 2016 screw on the behavior of teenagers in 1966?

left wing ideology = sex is good
ring wing ideology = i wish i knew...but since it's out of reach, i'm just going to whine endlessly

Re: What Are The Roots of The Modern Left's Obsession with Promoting Sex and Hedonism

So you think that by listening to some rock and roll by Elvis and reading a few lines of a poem by Ginsberg suddenly turned everyone into sex-starved maniacs?

Elvis wasn't involved in any of what we're discussing here. He actually hated most of it.

And yes, I think it absolutely was because of things like Ginsberg's poems, and Leftist academics talking those things up to their students, that the Sexual and Cultural Revolutions started.

It really wasn't any different than the "Safe Space" or "SJW" college youth movements of today in this regard. Young and impressionable kids had their heads filled with a lot of Left Wing dogma, got "inspired," and ran wild with it.

Lolwhut? So Kinsey, Johnson and Masters were all commies now? OK, time to bow out of this thread. It's already gone way past the deep (or derp) end.

Betty Friedan certainly was. Allen Ginsberg certainly was. The Beetles certainly were.

The bottom line here is that it was very much a "Far Left" movement. It still is today where these things are promoted.

Last edited:

Look it up. :roll:

Groups like the "Weather Underground" actually started as youth arms of American Communist organizations. Most of the Left's most influential authors from that period were also either avowed Communists, or - at the very least - dabbled in those circles.

The Weather Underground was a participant in the Anti-Vietnam War, Black Power, and New communist movements. And yet you try to scapegoat them in a rather pitiful attempt to demonize everyone on the left. Your logic is skewed, if the arrogance of your own aggressive ideologies prevents you from seeing that, you're a hypocrite.

In fact, you've practically shot down your own argument, because your enticement to Weather Underground research brought me here:

Opposition to United States involvement in the Vietnam War

Many in the peace movement were students, mothers, or anti-establishment hippies. Opposition grew with participation by the African-American civil rights, women's liberation, and Chicano movements, and sectors of organized labor. Additional involvement came from many other groups, including educators, clergy, academics, journalists, lawyers, physicians (such as Benjamin Spock), Civil Rights Movement leaders and military veterans. Opposition consisted mainly of peaceful, nonviolent events; few events were deliberately provocative and violent. In some cases, police used violent tactics against demonstrators. By 1967, according to Gallup Polls, an increasing majority of Americans considered US military involvement in Vietnam to be a mistake, echoed decades later by the then head of American war planning, former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara.

The students, mothers and anti-establishment hippies are the left you're pitifully attempting to demonize by broad-brushing an entire demographic of tens of millions with the actions of a tiny minority.

Last edited:

The Weather Underground was a participant in the Anti-Vietnam War, Black Power, and New communist movements. And yet you try to scapegoat them in a rather pitiful attempt to demonize everyone on the left. Your logic is skewed, if the arrogance of your own aggressive ideologies prevents you from seeing that, you're a hypocrite.

No, I'm pointing out the historical fact that the so called "Revolutions" of the 1960s were a Left Wing, and heavily Communist inspired, affair.

jesus christ, when are you going to stop blaming the fact that teenagers in 2016 screw on the behavior of teenagers in 1966?

left wing ideology = sex is good
ring wing ideology = i wish i knew...but since it's out of reach, i'm just going to whine endlessly

Do you understand that ideas have a tendency to follow across generations? Do you understand that ideas that once they are introduced many times evolve as generations pass? Ideas that change the culture of a country don't just stop for no explicable reason between generations.

No, I'm pointing out the historical fact that the so called "Revolutions" of the 1960s were a Left Wing, and heavily Communist inspired, affair.

It was a ****ing peace movement consisting mainly of hippies and civil rights activists. You're not convincing anyone by strawmanning a tiny minority of provocateurs. You're probably one of those people who think the USSR was behind it the whole time. Just stop with the conspiracy theories.

I fail to see the Nexus between promiscuity, and political ideology.

It was a ****ing peace movement consisting mainly of hippies and civil rights activists. You're not convincing anyone by strawmanning a tiny minority of provocateurs. You're probably one of those people who think the USSR was behind it the whole time. Just stop with the conspiracy theories.

I think they certainly helped it along in any way they could, yes.

Again, the simple fact of the matter is that the "master minds" behind basically the entire movement were radical Leftists, and often Communists. It was a Left Wing movement, both in origin and ideology. That's just a fact.

To claim otherwise is to simply lie about what actually happened in historical reality.

I think they certainly helped it along in any way they could, yes.

Again, the simple fact of the matter is that the "master minds" behind basically the entire movement were radical Leftists, and often Communists. It was a Left Wing movement, both in origin and ideology. That's just a fact.

To claim otherwise is to simply lie about what actually happened in historical reality.

Nobody is claiming it isn't left-wing, you're the one trying to make that out to be a bad thing. :roll:
The simple fact that you're ignoring the updated segment of post 178 goes to show how flimsy your argument is.

Here, so you can't ignore it:

Many in the peace movement were students, mothers, or anti-establishment hippies. Opposition grew with participation by the African-American civil rights, women's liberation, and Chicano movements, and sectors of organized labor. Additional involvement came from many other groups, including educators, clergy, academics, journalists, lawyers, physicians (such as Benjamin Spock), Civil Rights Movement leaders and military veterans. Opposition consisted mainly of peaceful, nonviolent events; few events were deliberately provocative and violent. In some cases, police used violent tactics against demonstrators. By 1967, according to Gallup Polls, an increasing majority of Americans considered US military involvement in Vietnam to be a mistake, echoed decades later by the then head of American war planning, former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara.

And here's an extra source, too.

Have fun! :2wave:

Nobody is claiming it isn't left-wing,

Yes, several people actually were.

you're the one trying to make that out to be a bad thing. :roll:
The simple fact that you're ignoring the updated segment of post 178 goes to show how flimsy your argument is.

Here, so you can't ignore it:

And here's an extra source, too.

Have fun! :2wave:

And a Hell of a lot of those "students, mothers, and anti-establishment hippies" were radical Left Wingers and Communist sympathizers, if not blatant Communists themselves. The ring-leaders and ideological master-minds behind the movement almost universally were. I really fail to see what you think you're proving by posting that up as such.

I really couldn't care less about violence (though claiming that the New Left was in any sense made up of peaceful, non-subversive do-gooders is a dishonest stretch to say the least).

Again, the bottom line here is that everything I talked about in the OP is endemic to the modern ideological Left. If you don't dispute that, then you should stop posting, because we are in agreement on the relevant points behind this thread.

Last edited:

And a Hell of a lot of those "students, mothers, and anti-establishment hippies" were radical Left Wingers and Communist sympathizers, if not blatant Communists themselves. The ring-leaders and ideological master-minds behind the movement almost universally were. I really fail to see what you think you're proving by posting that up as such.

Again, the bottom line here is that everything I talked about in the OP is endemic to the modern ideological Left. If you don't dispute that, then you should stop posting, because we are in agreement on the relevant points behind this thread.

You have to look at the causation behind it. What pushed them into those ideologies? What did the U.S. government do to make these people feel like their voices were being suppressed by a violent oppressor engaged in internationalist militarism (not unlike the Soviet Union in Czechoslovakia around the same time, coincidence? I think not, but that is another topic) in which the U.S. Military ITSELF used TERRORISM against the local populations of South Vietnam (look up "Free Fire" zones), meanwhile those that protested against this were brutally silenced in which the STATE used aggressive tactics to silence freedom of speech and prolong segregation (you can compare this to the Nazis identifying Jews with those cute little Stars of David)?

By demonizing the Vietnam War Opposition and PEACE MOVEMENT you're aiding and abetting these criminal acts, whether you're doing so intentionally or not. I laugh at your argument because you don't even realize what you are doing or how sickening it is.

You have to look at the causation behind it. What pushed them into those ideologies? What did the U.S. government do to make these people feel like their voices were being suppressed by a violent oppressor engaged in internationalist militarism (not unlike the Soviet Union in Czechoslovakia around the same time, coincidence? I think not, but that is another topic) in which the U.S. Military ITSELF used TERRORISM against the local populations of South Vietnam (look up "Free Fire" zones), meanwhile those that protested against this were brutally silenced in which the STATE used aggressive tactics to silence freedom of speech and prolong segregation (you can compare this to the Nazis identifying Jews with those cute little Stars of David)?

By demonizing the Vietnam War Opposition and PEACE MOVEMENT you're aiding and abetting these criminal acts, whether you're doing so intentionally or not. I laugh at your argument because you don't even realize what you are doing or how sickening it is.

I literally couldn't care less about any of this.

Again, the bottom line of the thread can be found in the OP.

Moderator's Warning:
Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom