• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What Are The Roots of The Modern Left's Obsession with Promoting Sex/Hedonism?[W:165]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What Are The Roots of The Modern Left's Obsession with Promoting Sex and Hedonism

It's one of dem' evil cartoons! They's turnin' the kideses into sex hungry fiends!

Or worse, we're fooling our kids into thinking Seth Rogen is funny!

Re: What Are The Roots of The Modern Left's Obsession with Promoting Sex and Hedonism

I don't believe I said any such thing.

Feel to keep right on making things up, however.

A) A few of those claims aren't even true.

They're all true. It's your inane claims that aren't true

B) What on Earth does any of that have to do with this thread, or its subject matter?

It points to the hypocrisy of you whining about the left's imaginary obsession with promoting sex while you obsess about getting sex

I don't believe I said any such thing.

Feel to keep right on making things up, however.

Calm yer tits, brah.

I'm just joking around.

Right... We've been over this, and the reasons why your arguments here are basically bunk. However, addressing points in order here...

A) This doesn't even have anything to do with my OP. I didn't say word one about Millennials.

B) Even if any of that were actually true (an allegation of which I remain highly, highly skeptical in many regards), the fact of the matter is that the sexual attitudes and behaviors of this rising generation are some of the most "uninhibited" to ever exist. The present ideal is to basically just ****, party, and live purely for one's self without, giving a second thought to things like "settling down" or being productive with one's time - pushing such concerns far to back the of one's mind, or disregarding them entirely.

Again, that is a very much "modern" phenomena, and one which finds its genesis in the ideology of the cultural Left at that.

Apart from the aggressive pushing of Homosexuality/Bisexuality/Transsexuality/and etca as being not only acceptable, but desirable states of affairs, the rise of the feminist "slut culture" embodied by popular public figures like Amy Schumer, the Left's obsession with forcing tax payers to subsidize birth control, and abortion, and ecta...

Yup. Nothing sex related in the agenda of the modern Left at all. :roll:

Sure... Once all the Conservatives and traditionalists are weeded out and marginalized to the point where they basically no longer have a say in anything. The Left will be more than happy to "work within the system" at that point. :roll:

Again, what does any of this have to do with my OP?

Well... Frankly, this whole view is kind of what I'm talking about here. You might think it's perfectly intuitive. However, it's really just a secular dogma you were basically taught, and subsequently internalized. People a few decades ago simply didn't think this way. Anyone of a more traditionalist upbringing still doesn't.

Whether you're actively aware of it or not, what you're doing here is basically regurgitating a meme, which entered our culture through the influence of the ideas of someone else. I'm simply trying to place my finger on who, exactly, that "someone else" happens to be.

Again, plenty of eras have had their share of "reactive" depravity. The modern Left, however, is fairly unique in trying to basically build a self-righteous, and actively proselytizing, belief system around it.

Is marriage about sex to you? Is peeing about sex to you? Wait, so remind me who's obsessed with sex again?

Yeah, because conservatives don't ever try to win political arguments. They're selfless master compromisers! :roll:

I know they didn't think that way. But it is not medically or psychologically normal to have so much sexual dysfunction in the young and healthy population. Millennia of medicine and anthropology prove that, and I frankly don't care what people coming from clans full of rape and child molestation have to say about it. Clearly they're not very well-adjusted themselves, as a social entity.

Or Adam Sandler. :lol:

Woah woah woah slow your roll there, Satan.

It can sure, satire is a great tool one can use to lampoon and bring light to certain social messages and political ideals. But this movie isn't satire, nor is it as "damming" as you want it to be.

Says who, exactly? You? :lol:

Dude. The main plot of movie is basically a thinly veiled exploration of the follies religious belief, and the "inhibitions" that go along with it, told from the perspective of a Nihilistic Atheist Hedonist.

There wouldn't be any reason for them to have so many lengthy conversations on all of those subjects if this were just some "dumb cartoon." It was pretty clearly a "dumb cartoon" trying to sneak some take-aways in under the radar.

an active sex life has no bearing on how someone feels on politics.

Of course not. However, the undeniable fact of the matter is that, whenever you run into someone regurgitating views like the following...

So, being free and open and enjoying life while we are here is bad.

And how many conservatives have been vocal about how righteous they are, yet get caught in a bathroom doing unspeakable things?

Being guilty for things that you shouldn't be is no way to go through life.

They are - almost 100% of time - a Left-winger, and a somewhat radical one at that.

That's not a coincidence, nor is it a coincidence that those same sentiments so often appear in media created by Left-leaning producers.

Holy moley the victim complex is strong with you today.

Pointing out that something may have an agenda underneath it isn't a "victim complex." It's called "analysis." :roll:

I know plenty of people of the "modern left" that would think Sausage Party is a terrible movie.

One of the hilarious ironies of the Modern Left. They've gone so far up their own assess with all of this "Politically Correct" thought control, that it's almost impossible for them to agree on anything.

Racial Interest groups call Feminists "racist" if they don't say, or think about, something in exactly the right way, while Feminist interest groups call Racial Interest groups "sexists" for the same petty violations or less. They do all of that in spite of supposedly having the same "enemy;" white Conversatives, and white conservative men at that.

Tell me Gath, did you at least have a laugh at this movie?

Loud and often. That does not, however, mean that I missed the point they were getting at.

Some of us are capable of multi-tasking, you know. ;)

Last edited:

Hysterical drama-queening over a cartoon about wieners

Classic Gath

Guys... People have been misbehaving where they can get away with it since the dawn of time. If you want to get super technical about that, it goes back to the fact that they simply happen to be human, and human beings are animals. lol

What I'm asking here, is when, exactly, that became a freaking "virtue" in the ideological dogma of the Left, and why.

As I said, this wasn't always the case. The original Left was actually rather prudish. This is a largely Western phenomena, and one which only really took off during the 1960s.

The "Roaring Twenties" may have had their share of depravity, but they didn't have the same attitude about it as say... The "flower children," or the Boomers in general. They didn't really feel the need to build an entire ideology to justify their personal excesses, as the modern Western Left has done.

Like I said in my post, I think that most likely links back to a combination of the ideas of Freud and Marx (both of whom were still highly, highly popular and influential around the time all this started, particularly on college campuses and the intellectual environment they pre-suppose), probably combined with the "boredom and prosperity," and the corresponding Western taste for material excess, you yourself mentioned. The intelligentsia of the Western Left are, after all, fairly notorious for paying lip-service to the rhetoric of the far Left, while still basically living like Capitalist materialists. That's actually where the "Culturally Marxist" moniker came from to begin with. It was originally a Far Left term meant to differentiate the "real" Marxists, from the ones who simply attend a rally every now and then and leave things at that.

They've basically just put a hedonistic and materialist spin on the idea of disestablishmentarian "Revolution."

A cartoon which simply happens to echo a sentiment which I have seen so many times in Left-leaning media (and heard from so many Left-leaning persons on this board) that it could fairly easily be described as being one of the key tenets of the ideology. The movie "Pleasantville," for example, (which is basically a giant allegory for the rise of the 'New Left' and its cultural influence during the 1950s and 1960s in and of itself), follows basically the same premise.

The idea that, somehow, "the world would be a better place if all these prudes just started ****ing each other/doing drugs/let go of their inhibitions, or etca" is, as I mentioned, rather self-evidently endemic to the mindset of the modern Left. I was simply asking why.

As I said, that's a Hell of a lot of innate, almost metaphysical, importance to place on the simple act of flesh slapping together and the tingly sensations it creates.

You might find this article interesting, especially the part about Herbert Marcuse and his 1955 book "Eros and Civilization" about three-fourths of the way through it. I haven't read the article carefully enough to comment on the author's conclusions. But he shows a pretty thorough knowledge of the people who were either part of the Frankfurt School, or who influenced it, or were influenced by it.

Schiller Institute—THE NEW DARK AGE The Frankfurt School and "Political Correctness"

You might find this article interesting, especially the part about Herbert Marcuse and his 1955 book "Eros and Civilization" about three-fourths of the way through it. I haven't read the article carefully enough to comment on the author's conclusions. But he shows a pretty thorough knowledge of the people who were either part of the Frankfurt School, or who influenced it, or were influenced by it.

Schiller Institute—THE NEW DARK AGE The Frankfurt School and "Political Correctness"

Thank you! I'll look into that.

I'm kind of hoping Fiddy will chime in at some point here as well. He's usually pretty knowledgeable on these kinds of subjects.

Says who, exactly? You? :lol:

Says the creators of the film, who developed the concept by thinking "man what if food could think and talk like people?"

It's truly amazing what kind of insight you can get if you go to the source instead of pulling whatever you wish from your ass.

Dude. The main plot of movie is basically a thinly veiled exploration of the follies religious belief, and the "inhibitions" that go along with it,

The main plot of the movie is a bunch of hot dog wienies that talk. All this extra "meaning" you're attaching to it is completely your own. You know, it is possible to watch a 2D movie without those red shaded blinders, right?

told from the perspective of a Nihilistic Atheist Hedonist.

HOLY HELL IT'S TOLD FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A SENTIENT HOT DOG. How lost in the sauce are you that a dumb, raunchy comedy is suddenly a political statement on hedonism and atheism?

There wouldn't be any reason for them to have so many lengthy conversations on all of those subjects if this were just some "dumb cartoon."

There isn't much of a "lengthy conversation" to be had about this movie. You're adding all your favorite buzz words and concepts because you enjoy feeling persecuted, or having your feelings on "the left" validated. No matter how contrived or how absurd. This is literally been our discussion thus far.

"This movie shows the left is addicted to sex."

"It's a movie about talking hot dogs. Shut up and enjoy the movie."

"But it also shows how the left hates god."

"Bro, it's a Seth Rogen joint, you're adding in concepts that don't belong there."

"BUT I JUST FEEL SO STRONGLY THAT THE LEFT LOVES SEX AND HATES GOD"

You're not you, when you're thirsty Gath.

It was pretty clearly a "dumb cartoon" trying to sneak some take-aways in under the radar.

The only "take-away" that happened from this movie was Seth Rogen taking my money for a kinda funny movie flooded with dick and fart jokes.

Of course not. However, the undeniable fact of the matter is that, whenever you run into someone regurgitating views like the following...

The only person Beefhart claims to represent is himself.

They are - almost 100% of time - a Left-winger, and a somewhat radical one at that.

BH is hardly radical, but whatever. I am talking to a guy who is equated Sausage Party, to Pleasantville.

That's not a coincidence, nor is it a coincidence that those same sentiments so often appear in media created by Left-leaning producers.

Left or right hardly matters when it comes to something that is as harmless as comedy. If you can't enjoy something because a "left leaner" produced I truly feel sorry for you.

Pointing out that something has an agenda underneath it isn't a "victim complex." It's called "analysis," genius. :roll:

Pointing out an agenda that isn't there is the very definition of a victim complex. I will bet my left nut that if Seth Rogen had a thought deeper than what he wanted to eat for breakfast the next morning he would be more than elated to share the "agenda" they wanted to push with his movie.

But that isn't the case, because they're not pushing an agenda.

One of the hilarious ironies of the Modern Left. They've gone so far up their own assess with all of this "Politically Correct" thought control, that it's almost impossible for them to agree on anything.

You're right, there's certainly members of "the left" that feel personally offended by art and media that they feel the need to change that art and media and often point to mentioned art and media as an indicator of the current political spectrum.

You know, kinda exactly what you have been doing in this thread, Gath. You're just as politically correct as the best of 'em. Instead with sexism, it's sex and atheism.

Racial Interest groups called Feminists "racist" if they don't say something in exactly the right way, while Feminist interest groups call Racial Interest groups "sexists" for the same petty violations or less. They do all of that in spite of supposed having the same "enemy," white Conversatives, and white conservative men at that.

And this is different than your current crusade... how?

Loud and often. That does not, however, mean I missed the point.

Then in your thinking, you are a modern leftist that wants nothing more than to get his dick wet while Jesus weeps into the arms of the Virgin Mary.

Some of us are capable of multi-tasking, you know. ;)

I'll believe it when I see it from you.

To make things clear right off the bat here, we're not discussing whether this view is necessarily right or wrong. I'm simply asking if anyone has any knowledge as to this - in my opinion, rather peculiar - belief system's "family tree," so to speak.

The idea that sex, given freely, and paired with a generalized lack of "inhibition" on the part of the greater population concerning personal conduct, often going so far as to glorify and promote hedonistic extremes with regards to things like recreational drug usage, partying, lax social attitudes, and etca, etca, will somehow create a "better," or even possibly "utopian," society is pretty damn close to being universal in the thought and value systems of the modern ideological Left. Hell! I just saw the movie "Sausage Party," and it was basically a giant, thinly veiled, parable trying to push that very idea - i.e. "the Gods" (humans) are evil, and the belief systems and inhibitions foods have built around them are all a lie, so the food ultimately rebels and kills "the Gods" (again, humans) in order to free themselves from all of that, and they celebrate by having a giant pan-sexual food orgy, which makes everything right with the world.

Sure, it's comedy. At the same time, however, you can't tell me that the message being pushed there isn't very much indicative of how the person behind the writer's pen actually views the world at large, even outside of their work.

I'm sorry... But the simple fact of the matter is that the whole thing seems like a Hell of a lot of innate ideological and psychological importance to place on the simple act of a couple of (mostly) hairless primates rubbing their meaty bits together for a couple of minutes in the interests of pair bonding and procreation. The narrative surrounding this is almost like a dogmatic "gospel," of sorts, accepted on the basis of faith more than anything else among the ranks of those who believe it.

How did that come to be? Where does this mindset originate? What pre-existing assumptions must be in place to give the world view in question the logical grounding its adherents clearly believe it to possess?

I would be inclined to chalk the phenomena up purely to Marxist thought and impulses, given its general focus on "tearing down" conventional institutions, and replacing them with (what, 'true believers,' at least, believe to be) some sort of "Revolutionary" new framework. In that regard, it falls within the confines of broadly defined "Cultural Marxism" rather well.

However, at the same time, Marx really didn't have much to say about sex. Most self-avowed "Marxist" societies, in point of fact, have actually tended to be pretty damn prudish and restrained. To the contrary, this apparent fixation on the "pleasures of the flesh" appears to be something rather unique to the Left of the "Capitalist Peeg" West, and the United States in particular.

Is it Freud who is at the heart of the matter then? Are these simply the cultural after-echos of his own (long since discredited) views regarding neurosis as being in almost all cases tied to so-called "sexual repression?"

Is it Freud by way of Marx, basically? With the perceived "neuroses" of society as a whole being blamed on the supposed "mass sexual repression" imposed by more traditional social institutions, and society as a whole therefore requiring "revolutionary" intervention to be rid of them as such? Has that view simply been mixed with good old fashioned Capitalist Yankee materialism and decadence, resulting in the "anything goes - if it feels good, do it," cultural consensus seen among the ranks of the "Pop Left" today?

Or... Does it go even deeper than that?

Walt Whitman and a number of other 19th Century bohemian radicals actually had some rather hippie-ish views regarding "free love" and other such things as well. Did that influence die with them, or did some sliver of it remain (most likely combined with the other three factors mentioned above) to shape the sea-change in the social values the American ideological Left experienced from the 1960s onwards?

There are really quite a few directions a person could take this analysis, when one stops to think about it.

Have you been to Europe? Or dated Europeans?

snip

Left or right hardly matters when it comes to something that is as harmless as comedy.

snip

In other words (in similar fashion to the Fallout Shelter thread :roll:), you've basically decided that you're going to do this, and not actually debate...

head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

Just because you're - apparently - ignorant of the creative process, and how the personal biases of creators so often translate into it, does not mean that such factors are irrelevant, especially not when the evidence is on screen right in front of you.

In any case, however, I can assure you, regardless of how many "fart jokes" and "talking wieners" it might happen to include, if I were to make a comedy film which paraded around blatant politicized stereotypes like "useless doped up hippies," or "screeching femnazis," it would most certainly not be a "coincidence." Furthermore, I hate to break it to you, but most writers tend to have personalities, and thought processes, more akin to mine than your's in this regard.

BH is hardly radical

:lamo

Pointing out an agenda that isn't there is the very definition of a victim complex.

Prove that it's "not there," first off. :roll:

Secondly, this sounds suspiciously like you're simply trying to squash any thought you happen to disagree with by giving it a derogatory label. That is intellectually bankrupt.

You know, kinda exactly what you have been doing in this thread, Gath. You're just as politically correct as the best of 'em. Instead with sexism, it's sex and atheism.

Wtf?

Then in your thinking, you are a modern leftist that wants nothing more than to get his dick wet while Jesus weeps into the arms of the Virgin Mary.

Wtf?

Seriously, dude. Sit down for a minute and take a breather. You're getting loopy over there.

Last edited:

Is marriage about sex to you?

It's certainly a rather important part of it.

Is peeing about sex to you?

Ummm... No?

I can't speak for R. Kelly, however. lol

Wait, so remind me who's obsessed with sex again?

I'm not the one spending millions and millions of dollars throwing pan-sexual hotdog orgies up on the silver screen. Just sayin'... :lol:

I know they didn't think that way. But it is not medically or psychologically normal to have so much sexual dysfunction in the young and healthy population. Millennia of medicine and anthropology prove that, and I frankly don't care what people coming from clans full of rape and child molestation have to say about it. Clearly they're not very well-adjusted themselves, as a social entity.

What are you referring to here?

Guys... People have been misbehaving where they can get away with it since the dawn of time. If you want to get super technical about that, it goes back to the fact that they simply happen to be human, and human beings are animals. lol

What I'm asking here, is when, exactly, that became a freaking "virtue" in the ideological dogma of the Left, and why.

As I said, this wasn't always the case. The original Left was actually rather prudish. This is a largely Western phenomena, and one which only really took off during the 1960s.
I dont think its the dogma of the left at all, there has always been a pushback against the sexual repression of religion ever since by people from every political spectrum. America was originally very conservative and most people prior to WW2 were regular churchgoers, but as prosperity and new ideas came about, religion gradually began to lose its hold over the public, and I think thats a good thing. When people move away from religious dogma and start to embrace individuality, new ideas and science, then its only natural that the sexual repression of fundamentalist religions gets put away.

Been there. Never "dated" one, however.

If you'd get to know them better; I dated a French gal... And been to Europe. Their perspective on sexuality and practice is much more open / liberal. Not politically liberal, but liberal in the sense that it is a natural expression of human behavior. They are not however as willy-nilly as some might think, but they are certainly not afraid of it. The Church has codified sexual suppression and in the states the WASP leadership has categorized it through said laws and an aspect that should be uniquely controlled as danger for the survival of the soul.

I should add here that "liberal" refers to 'a lot', that is to say liberalism draws its creed and sociopolitical views from a very broad spectrum of sources. [i\]'Conservatism'
does not, but instead has a very narrow perspective and in the US it is drawn from Biblical law. So the US has always been waaaay behind the times in that subject.

I dont think its the dogma of the left at all, there has always been a pushback against the sexual repression of religion ever since by people from every political spectrum. America was originally very conservative and most people prior to WW2 were regular churchgoers, but as prosperity and new ideas came about, religion gradually began to lose its hold over the public, and I think thats a good thing. When people move away from religious dogma and start to embrace individuality, new ideas and science, then its only natural that the sexual repression of fundamentalist religions gets put away.

What you see below is the "dogma" in question.

So, being free and open and enjoying life while we are here is bad.

And how many conservatives have been vocal about how righteous they are, yet get caught in a bathroom doing unspeakable things?

Being guilty for things that you shouldn't be is no way to go through life.

Smoke's posts contain examples as well. Hell! So do your own.

The whole idea of "sexual repression" in the first place, and that it necessarily must be overcome with free acceptance of sex and hedonism, is basically a modern "dogma." It's something we invented. Previous generations either took pretty much exactly the opposite stance, or just plain didn't think that deeply about what they were doing at all.

As I said before, people have always screwed around, and there have always been periods of greater and lesser morality and social conformity in this regard. Such periods often bounce back and forth off of one another in a reactionary fashion, in point of fact (More Liberal 1920s giving rise to a more Conservative 1950s, for example). That's not really tied with religion, per se, in one way or another. Catholic Renaissance Europe was, by all accounts, actually one of the most depraved places around, and that's why the Syphilis epidemic ravaged the place so hard (said Syphilis was also one of the major reasons why they cleaned up their act a bit... Until the next surge in loose behavior, at least).

What makes the modern cultural Left somewhat unique is that they've built this whole self-serving, and self-justifying, ideology around the thing, which actually allows them to view themselves as being the "good guys" for messing around.

Of course to you, philosophies like atheism, hedonism, and nihilism would all be interchangeable, a lot like a "tea party" rally could not tell me the difference between a kenyan, arab, and hawaiian

No surprise either that you cannot grasp the diff between "promoting sex" and encouraging *choice* in sex. Either you fail terribly at it or you want to deprive people of choice, only explanations i can see

LOL The root of hedonism goes back to the ancient world. The abomination is actually Judeo-Christianity when they infected the Western world with the notion that sex outside of procreation is evil. :2razz:

The idea that sex outside of procreation is not a Jewish concept. In fact, there is a lot of writings about the role of sex in marriage. That isn't to say that there aren't a number of obsolete , backwards attitudes that still remain in the culture, but 'sex is only for procreation ' is not one of them.

The Left, on the other hand, attaches "righteousness" to slutting around and basically behaving like a hedonistic ne'er-do-well... Because "feels," or something.

That's really kind of unique, philosophically speaking (at least on the kind of scale our society sees today). Hence, the reason for this thread inquiring into its philosophical origins.

Look at you, blaming the nebulous "left" because you aren't enjoying life.

What a sad existence.

Gathomas88 said:
...will somehow create a "better," or even possibly "utopian," society is pretty damn close to being universal in the thought and value systems of the modern ideological Left

The present ideal is to basically just ****, party, and live purely for one's self without, giving a second thought to things like "settling down" or being productive with one's time - pushing such concerns far to back the of one's mind, or disregarding them entirely.

The Left, on the other hand, attaches "righteousness" to slutting around and basically behaving like a hedonistic ne'er-do-well...

What the hell are you talking about gath? None of the liberals you're having a conversation with here live or believe anything like this. But you're certain this is the nearly 'universal' heart of liberal ideology. :doh

Your silly, exaggerated caricaturing aside, as others have pointed out the difference between the right's and left's views on sex is very simply that the left is shedding itself of silly puritanical fears (as is the right, but more slowly). People are waking up to the fact that premarital sex or having an edible or eating meat on friday isn't going to ruin their life or condemn them to eternal hellfire as our ignorant, superstitious ancestors supposed. Once you free yourself of these delusions there are fewer reasons to avoid such things. People don't need to be indoctrinated by an ideology to want sex; millions of years of evolution has done a fine job of that, as you are such a shining example.

To be fair, most of those threads deal with either analyzing, or criticizing, some hyper-sexed aspect of the culture of the modern Left, or the impact they have had on society at large. lol

Yeah, it's called projecting. And virtue-signalling.

A whole bunch of 'em.

Yup, look what happens when you are brought up in a sexually repressed way. So many right wing pervs out there.

Yeah, the right has never been obsessed with sex!!! :lol:

Especially not the right wing poster who has started scores of threads about sex :roll:

bing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom