• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are the most trustworthy and least biased media outlets?

I don't trust any media for the most part.

I rely on seeing how events play out over time.

Hiding part of the truth that misinforms the reader is just as bad as lying.

Political bias can exist in a story without hiding the truth. It can simply be how a story is framed. Like downplaying some aspects and emphasizing others.

I'm wondering if there are any media outlets that are trusted by both the left and right? Are there any you personally trust that you believe would also appeal to someone who leans the other way politically? For reference, here are a couple sites that rated media bias by outlet:

In the US? Dunno.
Internationally? BBC.

BBC, when not worrying itself to death about offending anyone from the BIPOC or LGBT groups, does a pretty damn good job at being balanced ideologically and pretty honest/trustworthy.

Here's a related question for our right-sided posters: Do you believe that Joe Biden won the election or, alternatively, that there was massive voter fraud?

Every year or two, someone posts a media bias chart and every time they are a joke that you can't take seriously. They're always created by people who have an obvious liberal bias... Until now. The media bias chart you linked to from AllSides.com is by far the most accurate one I've seen. There are a few of them I feel could be changed, but overall I grade their chart an "A".

Here it is:

View attachment 67306841

I was going to post that graphic, it is very accurate. Of course the far right don’t agree with it.

I'm wondering if there are any media outlets that are trusted by both the left and right? Are there any you personally trust that you believe would also appeal to someone who leans the other way politically? For reference, here are a couple sites that rated media bias by outlet:

Those sites are also biased. I dont think there is any news that isnt. People think AP isnt biased, but its pretty obvious in the news they choose to cover, and how specific narratives appear in their stories.

I was going to post that graphic, it is very accurate. Of course the far right don’t agree with it.
I'd say it needs to be shifted one column to the left, but I notice that most of my news comes from their "middle" column.

Trusted by both the political left and the right? The Wall Street Journal comes to mind.

Here's a related question for our right-sided posters: Do you believe that Joe Biden won the election or, alternatively, that there was massive voter fraud?

As I said in another thread, I think Donald Trump had the election and the Presidency stolen from him. By the voters.

However, I'm looking not just for an outlet that I trust, but an outlet I can use as a source that's unlikely to be dismissed by Republicans and conservatives. Based on the second link I posted, it looks like AP is viewed poorly by a lot of Republicans:
Just based on personal experience, you are on a hunt for a creature that doesn't exist. My entire family are conservative Trump supporters. When we have had political discussions in the past in our group chat, I have always used Fox News for any claim I made with the specific intent on trying to make it to where they can't possibly say it's a biased source. Yet they still did so, and now that fox isn't agreeing with Trump on everything 100% all day long, republicans are starting to throw them under the bus.

This is a game to many of them. They aren't calling media biased because they really want to see some unbiased media. If that were the case then they would starting up and flocking to competent, honest and credible media sources. Instead they have flocked to Breitbart, OAN, newsmax etc. They want something that tells them exactly what they want to hear.

I understand this is a pretty insulting thing to say, but every bit of evidence I see backs it up. There's a reason that Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity don't really have liberal or independent equivalents. Rush Limbaugh goes on every day, calls the other side evil, says they hate the country, talks about random conspiracy theories and they eat that shit up left and right. They don't want fair, they don't want balanced, they don't want facts. Period.

It depends on what type of news you are looking for. If you want the latest details, information and pictures of a sensational incident: mass shooting, tornado's destruction of a town, riot, plane crash, earthquake etc, Fox News on TV and radio always seems to have reporters and photographers on the scene first, backed up by reporters looking into the background, statistics, history etc of the incident. Caution: I'm talking about their news department not opinion. They are a hopeless news source for issues that are not sensational.

If you want a scholarly, detailed, background and accurate facts about a national issue The Wall Street Journal does a seriously thorough job. Again, I'm talking about the news department not their editorial or opinion section.

If you want world news Al Jazeera is excellent. They are surprisingly even handed about Middle Eastern issues.

If you want to know how an issue effects the US the NYT is good for the east coast and the LA Times for the west coast.

The Washington Post is good for fairly accurate political news.

American TV is pretty hopeless. We were in China when the US opened the Iraq war with Shock and Awe. The Chinese English language TV coverage was comprehensive. They had experts on economics, tactics, politics, history, culture, munitions, diplomacy, language, almost any field you could think of talking seriously and in depth about the pros and cons of a war with Iraq. It was exhaustingly intense and thorough. Mean while American TV had reporters running around thrusting mikes into people faces asking them "How do you feel about this?"

If you want to know whether they've found the basement door in the Ping Pong Pizza Parlor PJM is your go to source. If you just need to stoke your anger against the unfair liberal world the Rush rant is your best source.

It just depends on what you want out of your news.

The original big 3, over air Networks, CBS, NBC, and ABC, used to report the news and let the viewer decide, instead of influence it. Those days of Walter Cronkite and Huntley-Brinkley are long gone.

As I said in another thread, I think Donald Trump had the election and the Presidency stolen from him. By the voters.
ROFL. Genuinely.

80% of it all comes down to is learning to discern the difference between what is reportage on the one hand, and editorial content on the other. This requires careful reading. The better you get at that, the nearer the truth you'll get.

The other 20% of the puzzle is just remembering that ALL media is corporate media - with virtually no exceptions. It's directed by corporate CEOs, run by corporate executives, to serve the bottom line for corporate boards comprised of corporate shareholders, all of which is paid for by corporate advertising. ALL MEDIA! Understanding those three elements - reportage; editorial content; and what pays the bills - and taking your information from an aggregate of many sources, both domestic and foreign, and you should have no problem filtering events down to their honest constituent elements. In other words, the underlying truth.

CSPAN. I like NPR as well.

AJG, that's a tough question (for me). Since the beginning of this year, I have been flipping through all the news channels. When the channel I'm watching goes to a commercial, I usually flip to the next channel. They all have their slants, but at the end of the day (cliche #27), I feel like I have seen enough to get the general picture of what actually happened.

But mostly because of how my channels are lined up, when a big news event happens, I usually start with MSNBC, then Fox News, then CNN. If it's important enough for the broadcast networks to cover it, I usually go to CBS, then NBC, then ABC. Then it's back to the cable channels, rinse and repeat ( :) ).

I wish I had started doing this years ago.
I do a similar thing with the cable channels, except it’s on SiriusXM and I listen in my car. For more opinion oriented stuff I like to listen to Michael Smerconish and Julie Mason on the POTUS channel (124). I don’t always agree, but they’re pretty fair.

You just won the internets!

Here’s some media sites we can still trust for the truth. I’m not saying these sites won’t make a mistake. But, if they do it’s most likely an actual mistake. They’re not attempting to intentionally mislead anyone. They work day and night to get to the truth.

Oann.com
Townhall.com
PJMedia.com
ZeroHedge.com
UncoverDC.com
SaraACarter.com
FreeBeacon.com
bongino.com
LibertyNation.com
TheFederalist.com
DailyWire.com
LifeSiteNews.com
JustTheNews.com
AmericanThinker.com
TheNewAmerican.com

How long these sites will remain in the truth is another story. This cancel culture hates the truth with a passion. Which can make a good truthful company compromise. Being a good person is important, but being a strong and courageous good person is what’s truly necessary.
You’re joking... right?.... of course you arent...

I do a similar thing with the cable channels, except it’s on SiriusXM and I listen in my car. For more opinion oriented stuff I like to listen to Michael Smerconish and Julie Mason on the POTUS channel (124). I don’t always agree, but they’re pretty fair.

That's a good way to stay informed and keep an open mind, Moon.

There is nothing in the UK, certainly not the BBC, otherwise known as the buggering boys club, employment for the illegitimate children of the aristocracy, or there useless offspring working within the BBC!
Presstv, very impartial, but detests Americans, I don't understand it, just because American military murdered there president, in 1953, or starting a war against Iran, supplying USA weapons mustard gas, sarin Gas to Saddams army, until Saddam refused to murder any more Iranians! Then Saddam was murdered!
RT news also an excellent impartial purveyor of impartial news!
As five people own all American news media.... none!

There is nothing in the UK, certainly not the BBC, otherwise known as the buggering boys club, employment for the illegitimate children of the aristocracy, or there useless offspring working within the BBC!
Presstv, very impartial, but detests Americans, I don't understand it, just because American military murdered there president, in 1953, or starting a war against Iran, supplying USA weapons mustard gas, sarin Gas to Saddams army, until Saddam refused to murder any more Iranians! Then Saddam was murdered!
RT news also an excellent impartial purveyor of impartial news!
As five people own all American news media.... none!

Your claims of the US supplying Saddam with Chemical Weapons has been disproved. Feel free to lie again.

I read the Google News aggregator. It collects stories from both American and international sources. Then I go to The Hill to read the article comments. It's my favorite place to read commenters telling each other to **** off in various ways. I collect the best comments.

The original big 3, over air Networks, CBS, NBC, and ABC, used to report the news and let the viewer decide, instead of influence it. Those days of Walter Cronkite and Huntley-Brinkley are long gone.
And I miss them so much! Even PBS has jumped on the bandwagon of giving us 10 minutes of reporting and then 20 of 'analysis' of what to think about it.

CSPAN has good in depth spots that interview people of all different stripes, their morning call-in show covers different items of interest in the day's news. They're so unbiased that I've heard callers angrily berate them for being liberal lovers and alt right lovers on the same morning. Lol. I usually tune into them for scheduled important speeches, and they cover all the televised Senate hearings, etc. They do not spend hours with commentators chewing over what was just said, and that suits me fine.

Yes... At this point I believe Joe Biden won the election.

As for the issue of massive voter fraud, I don't know. There has definitely been far more voter fraud than I expected there to be, and some very serious allegations brought forth that need to be fully looked into. Until all the reports of voter fraud and voter irregularities have been fully investigated, I reserve judgement. I'll say this though, if just half of those allegations end up being true, then yes, massive voter fraud did take place. If that's the case the it needs to be dealt with, meaning that people must be held legally accountable and our system of voting needs to be overhauled to prevent it from ever happening again.

One tip I'd like to offer everyone - if you've never been to refdesk.com, I can't recommend it highly enough. I set it up as my home page on all three of the browsers I use most often. I'm not only able to peruse some headlines immediately, but I have literally dozens of news sources, both domestic and foreign, no more than a mouse click away. Not to mention tons of other diversions like my morning puzzles, etc.

Chock full of links to useful info, and no more than a mouse click away.

Back
Top Bottom