• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are the biggest deficiencies of your own political ideology?

Neomalthusian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Call it exercise in self-awareness vs. denial and security in your own beliefs. Are you able to critically examine your own **** and find out if there are way that it does, in fact, stink?

I can start. My ideological lean is essentially libertarian but its greatest deficiencies are general failure to weigh environmentalism against individual rights and that it doesn't acknowledge how protectionistic its economic theoretical underpinnings are, and what the real world implications of that would really be.

Your turns.

I wouldn't say this is exclusively a liberal thing but i think the biggest deficiency is ignorance and/or fear of firearms.

Call it exercise in self-awareness vs. denial and security in your own beliefs. Are you able to critically examine your own **** and find out if there are way that it does, in fact, stink?

I can start. My ideological lean is essentially libertarian but its greatest deficiencies are general failure to weigh environmentalism against individual rights and that it doesn't acknowledge how protectionistic its economic theoretical underpinnings are, and what the real world implications of that would really be.

Your turns.
The answer is always the same for all ideologies - it requires honest people of goodwill and that they all agree.

Your turns.

disagree
the biggest failure of libertarianism is that it fails to provide for the least among us, assuming all can provide for themselves and no one is in need because of circumstances beyond their own control

I'm a conservative in the Canadian sense - the government should keep it's hands out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms. The failing of American conservatives is that they have allowed a faction of their political party to hijack the agenda and they wallow too long in the bedrooms of the nation and not enough time counting the dollars as they fly out the door.

Your turns.

As my profile said I lean Slightly Conservative. My natural ideology (the morals I was taught growing up) lean that way, but not quite. The biggest reason is the the civil right bill. It was voted against by Democrats and Conservatives, and the Republicans and Liberals voted for it. Since then the Conservatives and Liberals have swop sides.

I can't think of any others at the moment maybe later.

disagree
the biggest failure of libertarianism is that it fails to provide for the least among us, assuming all can provide for themselves and no one is in need because of circumstances beyond their own control

Is libertarian how you identify?

electability.

Out of curiosity, how was this handled in, oh say, the 1700's?

True, but then Trudeau went on to do the very unconservative thing - spending too much money. I liked Trudeau, the elder. Trudeau the junior is an idiot poser.
The only one to achieve a surplus in the last 50 years was Chretien.

disagree

As a constitutional conservative with a libertarian lean I recognize that some people are in trouble through no fault of their own and I see local governments be that city or county and charity as the solutions to those problems not the federal government.

I'm a conservative in the Canadian sense - the government should keep it's hands out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms. The failing of American conservatives is that they have allowed a faction of their political party to hijack the agenda and they wallow too long in the bedrooms of the nation and not enough time counting the dollars as they fly out the door.
It's not really wallowing in bedrooms if you are asking permission from the state to be married or have them pay for an abortion.

As a constitutional conservative with a libertarian lean I recognize that some people are in trouble through no fault of their own and I see local governments be that city or county and charity as the solutions to those problems not the federal government.

but what we do not see is any of them filling the void, assisting those in need thru no fault of their own

Still it was the Liberals who had a surplus.

In spite of the Liberals, Paul Martin had a surplus - Cretien only went along because he knew how powerful the Paul Martin faction of the party was. Paul Martin was the type of Canadian conservative I was referring to - his focus was on the financial health of the country and he didn't care a bit about social obsessions.

In spite of the Liberals, Paul Martin had a surplus - Cretien only went along because he knew how powerful the Paul Martin faction of the party was. Paul Martin was the type of Canadian conservative I was referring to - his focus was on the financial health of the country and he didn't care a bit about social obsessions.

Just because you focus on financial matters doesn't mean you are Conservative. He was the one who legalized gay marriage aswell which would say makes him involved in social policy.

Last edited:
Just because you focus on financial matters doesn't mean you are Conservative. He was the one who legalized gay marriage aswell which would say makes him involved in social policy.

No, he simply recognized an inequality and chose to deal with it equitably and quickly to get it off the table. When I talk about staying out of our bedrooms, I mean for the most part not legislating against human behaviour or trying to socially engineer the citizenry.

I don't have issues because I'm quite moderate and reasonable. But in leaning libertarian, a grip about libertarianism. How you can ensure your society's survival in the face of global competition that may not play by libertarian rules? Life vs freedom dilemma. The same is argued about internal threats that may be created by individual freedom to the point that society again crumbles (revolution extortion).

not any more and for that reason
This trips me up because I lean libertarian, but I would never think to support, promote, or believe in, some extreme form of libertarianism. Providing absolutely no public safety net does not seem like it's part of libertarian lean, it would seem to be part of libertarian-extremism.

Back
Top Bottom