• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What are Christians getting wrong when dealing with non-Christians?

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
One could make an interesting study of this material: 20th Century Democide

For you to make your case, you have to go beyond the information that.

You have to show 1) The RATE of death, not just the raw numbers.. What is the percentagage as the population as a whole.
2) Show the trend decade by decade.

That , not so strangely, is missing..

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why do you interpret frustration as fear?

The righteous ignorance present in some posts is motivation enough to leave the thread. I'm happy to see that some users are able to overcome their personal frustrations.

I have reviewed some posts from the past couple of days, and my conclusion is that Christians posting during this time are dealing with two issues where there is only one issue for non-Christians who are secular. For Christians and people of other faiths, faith itself has a role in communication. Faith is mostly about communication with the divine, but secular people do not agree with this and do not admit it within discussions which are about communication among human beings. As for the Bible as textual evidence, I agree that Catholicism does not require a literal interpretation of scripture and is much more well suited to share common ground with non-Christians. The Bible is holy scripture, however when considered in a historical light, there are some nuanced passages. Christians who are trying to make this discussion about a journey toward faith with the Holy Bible as a guide should not judge non-Christians to be living in fear of them. :doh

D_NATURED

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I appreciate your honest portrayal of your perspective here. I can sympathize at least with all of it.
The other side of the coin is the Godly perspective. It is fairly similar, but the shift is away from how good we are or are getting. We do not believe men get better, but worse.
With knowledge comes power, and power is corrupting.
The collective tends to believe in their own superiority, especially when they have a majority. These always give rise to the tyrannical dictator, always.
The best part of that idea is that you can force an education on the dumbest and get them up to speed. What actually happens in the end is just genocide. They are too dumb for their own good, so death.
Shifting the focus from how good (the best) men are to a realization that we are not, and that God is good provides us a much better model, and in my mind the most accurate model. God is good.
But we can all lament that those danged good men will take this paradigm and take it on themselves still to kill off the dumb ones, even in the name of God. This isn't what Christ taught us, he taught us to take up our cross.
But there it is, men aren't that good, or are rarely that good at least.

Exactly. It is your opinion that people are changing for the worse when, objectively, that's not true. It does, however, fit nicely into the doom and gloom forecast of the Christians. Rather than believe that a species that has transcended the animal can transcend the human too, you take the position of inevitable failure and negative consequences or, as you guys call it, JUDGMENT.

I don't expect you to see the contradiction in your opinion that humans are static creations of an all good being and then claim that we are inherently evil and doomed to fail because of our love of sin. That's really such a juvenile take on reality as to invite mockery. I better quit before I can't bite my tongue any longer. If you ever wonder about the source of the stress that lies in communications between the faithful and the faithless, that's it.

D_NATURED

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I think you may be putting words in my mouth, if I understand your post. Property rights over human rights? Explain this if you will.
My people created this world? Certainly Christians have played a part in the world, but created it's brokenness?
If God exists, and dysfunction exists, would God be to blame for it?

Maybe if you can help me understand what you are saying I won't be so much of a moron. That could be good for us both.

First, let's look at what you said. When you wrote, "It has the guise of progress and prosperity, but in reality, the world is at the brink.", you firmly planted your moral flag on the soft ground of paranoia. The irony is that if you remove religion from the list of differences, the world peace we all desire becomes MORE possible, not less.

This IS a world that religion built and the West, where you and I live, was built by Christians. Christians, mind you, whose savior precluded the acquisition of personal wealth and then stood by on his cloud while generation after generation of his followers supported and shared power with monarchs, fascists and republicans, over the centuries, while vilifying the poor.

Of course the future of humanity is bleak. We can't even convince most people that snakes don't talk and that women don't come from male ribs. It is as if a vast majority of the population approves of diplomacy, and the potential for peace it offers, being practiced relative to their fondest imagining of a rewarding afterlife rather than the greatest potential for human outcomes in this one. I am embarrassed for you that your response to my tentative faith in human evolution must be to see it smothered in your own biblical dread. That pretty well defines the divide between left and right worldwide.

When your faith in a good god is inversely proportional to your love of man, I can't imagine how a good result could come from that. That's like trusting the plane's controls to the guy who believes that hitting the ground hard enough causes your soul to bounce up to heaven.

Top Bottom