• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are atheist values?

watsup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In another thread, Valery referred to “atheist values”, no doubt in a derogatory manner.
So let’s make it a thread to do a deeper dive.

I’ll start. My concept of the reality of the physical universe is gained through science.
My ethical concepts are gained through Humanism, which is the understanding that we humans need to develop the values which will allow us to live in a harmonious society. No murder, no stealing, and an absolute minimum of lying are the foundation. Respect for one another and for life, per se, are also necessary.
There. That’s a start.

In another thread, Valery referred to “atheist values”, no doubt in a derogatory manner.

I’ll start. My concept of the reality of the physical universe is gained through science.
My ethical concepts are gained through Humanism, which is the understanding that we humans need to develop the values which will allow us to live in a harmonious society. No murder, no stealing, and an absolute minimum of lying are the foundation. Respect for one another and for life, per se, are also necessary.
There. That’s a start.

Just try to be nice. That is what I have done all my life.

There. That’s a start.

Depends on the individual, right?

But it wouldn't be surprising to see some atheists having similar values with religious people (Abrahamic God), after all mankind is made in
the image of God. Though they may not recognise it as coming from God but more coming from evolution, nevertheless we know that a sense of righteousness is hardwired on man.

An example of that would be children having fundamental sense of fairness.

Consistent with this evolutionary perspective, young children show a concern for fairness first inside, but not outside, of collaborative interactions with others in which they view their partners (but not free riders) as equally deserving participants.

In this context, children’s sense of fairness is not mainly about how material ‘stuff’ is distributed, but about the social meaning of the act of distribution. They thus are okay with an unequal distribution if the procedure was a fair one that gave everyone an equal chance. In general, children are concerned that acts of distribution treat everyone with equal respect.

Children’s Sense of Fairness as Equal Respect - ScienceDirect

Last edited:

There. That’s a start.

It seems to me that the term 'atheist' is too broadly defined to fit into 'value'. What is a 'theistic value'? You can't say without further information. You can do an invidivudal atheist's value, or bring up a philosophy that has atheism as one of it's tenets, but other than that, the only thing is a lack of belief in any deity.

But it wouldn't be surprising to see some atheists having similar values with religious people (Abrahamic God), after all mankind is made in the image of God.

Quite the opposite. People learned that there needed to be rules, either formal or informal, for them to somewhat peacefully live together in close proximity in what might be called a “society”. And these rules were developed well before the “Abrahamic God” made an appearance in people’s minds. And so it is religion that builds on the foundations of Humanism, not the other way around.

Quite the opposite. People learned that there needed to be rules, either formal or informal, for them to somewhat peacefully live together in close proximity in what might be called a “society”. And these rules were developed well before the “Abrahamic God” made an appearance in people’s minds. And so it is religion that builds on the foundations of Humanism, not the other way around.

Sorry, but borrowing from you -

who should we believe?

YOU?

or,

SCIENCE?
:lol:

Whatever they want their values to be.

Or whatever they want their morals to be.

Sorry, but borrowing from you -

who should we believe?

YOU?

Or,

SCIENCE?
:lol:

What exactly does science have to do with ethical values? Their study is the physics and biology and chemistry os the universe. Totally different.

So you’re saying that it’s wrong for a non-atheist to be telling atheists what their values are?

That is the same for everyone. Many believers only pay lip service to their beliefs. At least atheists are honest and not hypocritical.

What exactly does science have to do with ethical values? Their study is the physics and biology and chemistry os the universe. Totally different.

Well - you should read.

Well - you should read.

That’s the same thing you always post when you can’t actually answer the question at hand. So you are good at dodging, not as good at honest discussion. Okay.

That’s the same thing you always post when you can’t actually answer the question at hand. So you are good at dodging, not as good at honest discussion. Okay.

Expect nothing else from tosca. Don't waste any more of your time.

But it wouldn't be surprising to see some atheists having similar values with religious people (Abrahamic God), after all mankind is made in
the image of God. Though they may not recognise it as coming from God but more coming from evolution, nevertheless we know that a sense of righteousness is hardwired on man.

An example of that would be children having fundamental sense of fairness.

Did you even read your cited article? This is the second paragraph:
“Consistent with this evolutionary perspective, young children show a concern for fairness first inside, but not outside, of collaborative interactions with others in which they view their partners (but not free riders) as equally deserving participants.”

EVOLUTIONARY PERSPECTIVE. No mention of God or religion. Thank you for proving MY point.

There. That’s a start.

There are as many different set of 'atheist values' as their are atheists. There are no atheist 'holy books', still less 'commandments' so free thinking atheists make up their values for themselves. Many sets will be similar because reason tends to produce similar results.

As it happens I rather agree with your list. But they are your values (and mine mainly) but not 'atheist values'.

Atheist value: not believing in any gods.

That's it.

Did you even read your cited article? This is the second paragraph:
“Consistent with this evolutionary perspective, young children show a concern for fairness first inside, but not outside, of collaborative interactions with others in which they view their partners (but not free riders) as equally deserving participants.”

EVOLUTIONARY PERSPECTIVE. No mention of God or religion. Thank you for proving MY point.

Read your OP, Watsup.

I'm showing the sense of righteousness has been hardwired in humans!
Christians say it's because we're made in the image of God.
Science says it's due to evolution.

What part of that is hard to understand?

Therefore, whether you're atheist or religious - you have the capability to do what is righteous!
Thus a child has that innate sense of fairness.

We know it these days as, "moral compass."

But I did answer. The problem is you don't recognize an answer when it's already given. :lol:

I gave you a simple explanation - along with an article to explain it further.
You should be able to connect the dots! :shrug:

Last edited:
Read your OP, Watsup.

I'm showing the sense of righteousness has been hardwired in humans!
Christians say it's because we're made in the image of God.
Science says it's due to evolution.

What part of that is hard to understand?

Therefore, whether you're atheist or religious - you have the capability to do what is righteous!
Thus a child has that innate sense of fairness.

We know it these days as, "moral compass."

But I did answer. The problem is you don't recognize an answer when it's already given. :lol:

I gave you a simple explanation - along with an article to explain it further.
You should be able to connect the dots! :shrug:

This constant need for ad hom from you and the other believers is simply not a good look. How exactly does that fit into your “moral compass”? Do you teach your children to say negative things about other people? And if you don’t teach them to do so, they why do you? You do know that children learn most by example, right?

Atheist value: not believing in any gods.

That's it.

Well. I guess that's so, but I was talking more about ETHICAL values. A religious person insists that morality comes from God, so from whence do atheist gain their ethical values if they "don't believe in God"?

There. That’s a start.

I don’t think there’s any such thing. Atheism is just someone’s approach to a belief in God. Values have nothing to do with that.

Well. I guess that's so, but I was talking more about ETHICAL values. A religious person insists that morality comes from God, so from whence do atheist gain their ethical values if they "don't believe in God"?

From being a good person. No imaginary beings needed.

I don’t think there’s any such thing. Atheism is just someone’s approach to a belief in God. Values have nothing to do with that.

Good point worth discussing.

Good point worth discussing.

We know plenty of Christians who do not take their values from the bible, right? That’s along the lines of what I’m saying.

I think values and belief in god are not necessarily one and the same. Especially for those who swear the former is guided by the latter.

Back
Top Bottom