• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are atheist values?

This explains a great deal about the stuff I see posted here.

So you think we are not animals? There are several groups of organisms according to the 6 kingdoms theory that exists, humans is part of the animal world (eukaryote, animals with enclosed nucleus). But even if you take it very simple, plants and animals, well then there is no third one called humans.

My thoughts are that if you need read a book to learn your ethics, then you have none.

Atheists question the existence of a God. There's nothing more to it than that.

I am an atheist and I do not question the existence of god, the answer is in, no gods.

If they have any morals or values, they are borrowed from religious teachings.

A proper atheist doesn't have values or morals. They believe in "moral relativism". Basically, for real atheists, morals and values don't exist.

But they don't want to go to jail, so they are coerced into behaving.

All morals are stolen from earlier moral views, even in the time before people believed in gods. Or do you really think the bible invented morality.

Morals and values are totally existent for atheist.

All morals are stolen from earlier moral views, even in the time before people believed in gods. Or do you really think the bible invented morality.

Morals and values are totally existent for atheist.
The time before people believed in gods? 😂
When do you think that was? 😂

Based on your username, I thought you'd be a devout Christian.

Well Peter is my real name (and only name, don't have 2/3/4 or whatever names), I wasn't baptized, never visited a church service other than 1 wedding, 1 funeral and one school trip (Windsor chapel, my teacher knew the priest there) other than that zero services. All my family was cremated in non-religious ceremonies as both sides of my family grew up atheist.

And the King is just because my real last name is a real humdinger to spell and say, lots of Dutch sounding vowels and words. The King comes from 2 sources:

1. I am a huge Elvis fan, the King of Rock and Roll
2. my favorite writer is Stephen King

Hence the name Peter King. But as a born and bred atheist, no religion in my or my family. The only religious information I get are from quizzes and Lucifer (the TV show).

The time before people believed in gods? 😂
When do you think that was? 😂

Morals are of all times, do you think the bible got their moral views from the good book? Nope, they were already established views just used by the church as if it were a commandment from their fantasy figure.

Morals are of all times, do you think the bible got their moral views from the good book? Nope, they were already established views just used by the church as if it were a commandment from their fantasy figure.
You didn't say when you think was the time people didn't believe in gods. Hint: there were many messengers and prophets before Moses who is supposedly the main author of the Old Testament.

Atheist values:

1. "There is no God"

2. "I hate Him"

That makes no sense, how can you hate something that does not exist? That would be like hating the tooth fairy or the easter bunny.

You didn't say when you think was the time people didn't believe in gods. Hint: there were many messengers and prophets before Moses who is supposedly the main author of the Old Testament.

And you also did not answer the question:

Do you believe the bible came up with the notion of morality? Hint, HELL NO, morality is ancient, even before gods were the norm.

And there is Janism, Buddhism, Taoism and others in the east.

And you also did not answer the question:

Do you believe the bible came up with the notion of morality? Hint, HELL NO, morality is ancient, even before gods were the norm.

And there is Janism, Buddhism, Taoism and others in the east.
Of course I don't because as I implied there were prophets and messengers long before the Bible. :rolleyes: Now you go.

So you think we are not animals? There are several groups of organisms according to the 6 kingdoms theory that exists, humans is part of the animal world (eukaryote, animals with enclosed nucleus). But even if you take it very simple, plants and animals, well then there is no third one called humans.

This is called "taxonomy" an abstraction created by people nothing more.

The only thing that separates us is wishful thinking.
And an innate desire to serve our Creator...animals don't have that...

Of course I don't because as I implied there were prophets and messengers long before the Bible. :rolleyes: Now you go.
Name some successful prophecies, please.

And an innate desire to serve our Creator...animals don't have that...
Animals are capable of superstition, the first step to belief in a deity. Also, that attribute you give humanity is conditioned, not innate, imo.

Animals are capable of superstition, the first step to belief in a deity. Also, that attribute you give humanity is conditioned, not innate, imo.
Such as?

This is called "taxonomy" an abstraction created by people nothing more.

Ummm.....who else is there on Earth to develop the taxonomy except people??????? That is a very strange statement. Of course people developed the taxonomy, that's because they are the only ANIMAL at the present time on this planet that possess the capability of intelligent thought as opposed to the instinct of the rest of the animals (and humans also possess instinct in addition to intelligent thought. Do you expect God to hand down a taxonomy like he supposedly did with the Commandments? It is quite clear that humans fall under the heading of FAUNA along with the rest of the animals.

I don't see how me answering that helps you defend your claim, why should your ability to defend what you claim depend on anything I say or may have said?

You claim the existence of physical things can't be explained physically. So the same should be true for non physical things, like god.

David we were discussing and I was responding to, your claim " The universe can have a material explanation. It does". I demonstrate the absurdity of this so you then go off on a tangent about evolution? you're all over the place, get a grip.

Nothing absurd except for your claim that the existence of the physical can't be explained by physical causes. Yet you thing that non physical things are exempt from your absurd, made up rule.

David we were discussing and I was responding to, your claim " The universe can have a material explanation. It does". I demonstrate the absurdity of this so you then go off on a tangent about evolution? you're all over the place, get a grip.

The universe is only evidence of the universe, per se. it is NOT evidence of a “God”.

No, again you're trying to narrow the definition, and make the claim for all atheists that we are claiming there is no god. That is something, but not Atheist. Gnostic Atheist maybe? And there's also agnostic atheists. Atheist means "without belief in any god." That is all, full stop.

No, you are the one who is making up definitions that describe 2 different points of view. You cannot be an agnostic atheist, you are an atheist and believe/know there are no gods, or you are an agnostic who claims the knowledge of gods is unknowable. As an atheist I know that answer, gods do not exist.

Back
Top Bottom