• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Are A Student's Chances Of Being Shot?

Umm... we do that all the time. What the **** are you talking about? Just yesterday on facebook I saw a post about how instead of extending a stop sign and hoping people follow it school bus drivers have taken the approach of crossing the center line and blocking off traffic entirely so nobody could get by while kids are unloading. It was interesting.

And yet, every year, the bodies rack up from vehicle deaths, at much higher rates. So that's an acceptable death rate apparently.

See, THAT ^^ is a perspective that boggles the mind in its blindness and hypocrisy....all for convenience.

Some people fear guns more than cars...where the death rate is thousands and thousands higher...and yet prefer to focus on guns and just pop their kids in cars and on busses everyday and off they go to work, unconcerned. :doh

There are plenty of people that intentionally harm other people. Why should I be at a disadvantage to them for protecting myself and family?
You won't be. You'll still be allowed to use the same weapons they have.

And there are plenty of other reasons to own handguns. That have nothing to do with EVER pointing them at people. Do you so easily dismiss valued recreation that others are involved in?

Hey, here's me with my 'anti-balloon' handguns:

View attachment 67245203

Those balloons are designed to be stand-ins for a human head. He is practicing murdering people while riding a horse.

I don't want to be armed the same. I always want to outgun my attackers.

Those balloons are designed to be stand-ins for a human head. He is practicing murdering people while riding a horse.

Yes, because we have so many cowboys riding around shooting people. And he's practicing murdering people buried up to their necks in the dirt while riding a horse. Just in case. Can your posts get anymore ridiculous?

What are the odds you will ever require the usage of an AR-15 or any other gun for your own personal protection?
Red herring. Owning an AR-15 is a constitutional right - getting shot is not.
MrWonka said:
It's about more than just YOUR odds of getting shot. Just have a shooting take place at your school can be a traumatic experience even if you're not one of the kids shot. Odds are good you will know one of the victims. Maybe a favorite teacher. That can have long-lasting psychological effects on a child.
LOL, parents, relatives die, get horrible diseases. Their friends can get killed/seriously injured in vehicle accidents. One or more of their friends can die of drug overdoses. It's call life.
MrWonka said:
So far in 2018, there have been 23 school shootings in 21 weeks of school. Not 23 victims, 23 shootings with at least one victim.
Link?
MrWonka said:
A child goes to school for 13 years. There are approximately 36 weeks in a school year. That puts us at about 40 shootings over 13 years. So during the time you spend in school, there will be 520 school shootings many of which will have multiple casualties. There are 98,817 public schools in the United States. That puts us at a 0.5% or approximately 1 out of every 200 schools in the nation that will experience a school shooting in a 13-year span that you're in school.

You want to send your kids to school with a 1 in 200 chance there will be a crazy gunman running around at some point?
Totally wrong statistically.

MrWonka said:
Which is why there's a whole bunch of regulations dealing with how to drive around school buses and schools when it is in session. We also make sure that school bus drivers are trained to handle a large bus, and have clean driving records before we let them get behind the wheel.
And yet, accidents still happen and kids do get killed. Just like their are a whole bunch of gun laws - far more than the traffic laws or bus driver qualifications you cite.

How so, you are trying to limit me/law abiding citizens...and the criminals will not be restricted?

You speak from pure ignorance, and it's painfully obvious. (or should be, why would you write 'anything' just to 'look right,' when it's clearly garbage?)

That is me. And I am having a fantastic time competing, challenging myself to ride and shoot better, and winning $. There's no association with murder, we have 13 yr olds competing with live fire and start them younger with toy guns.

Since I am heavily involved in a shooting sport and know many men and women who not only compete but carry for protection, I can say that you are greatly uninformed.

As in VASTLY uninformed. As in, have swallowed whole what the media feeds you.

isn't it amusing that the anti gun faction on this board spends so much time attacking lawful gun ownership, the NRA and gun owners, not the violent criminals they dishonestly claim is what motivates their desires for laughably ineffective criminal control laws?

Unless they have a weapon that's banned.

You have a very misanthropic imagination.

Nope, it depends how they're used.

Because hunting with a handgun is a sporting pursuit. They're sold on the basis of shooting people.

Old-SW-Gun-Ad.jpg

social-issue-adverts-26jpg.jpg

Because hunting with a handgun is a sporting pursuit. They're sold on the basis of shooting people.

Of that 10,000, 2/3 were suicides...so I guess if you want to shoot yourself, you have that right. But it's not a danger to other people and so the rest of us shouldnt be punished because of someone else's personal illness. There is no way to reduce suicide by gun without completely appealing the 2A. (otoh, better addressing mental health is where we should focus)

Of that 10,000, 2/3 were suicides...so I guess if you want to shoot yourself, you have that right. But it's not a danger to other people and so the rest of us shouldnt be punished because of someone else's personal illness. There is no way to reduce suicide by gun without completely appealing the 2A. (otoh, better addressing mental health is where we should focus)

Many would disagree.
DtRqLzSUUAE9UcF.jpg

Many would disagree.

Sorry, if they really believed that, they wouldnt be putting their kids in vehicles every day.

So that sign's just more bull****.

And it really doesnt address suicides...and neither did you.

Well, you see there are these little metal things that come flying out of one end when you pull the trigger.
Right, so the purpose of guns is to throw small metal objects at high speed, not to kill.

They move incredibly fast and they're designed to hit things with the type of force necessary to cause the death of any living creature in their path.
Not necessarily, you wouldn't want to try hunting a bear with a .22 or a .38

Generally the hope is that they kill things that are in need of killing and deserve killing, but either way, it's readily apparent that is what they're purpose is. All the cool armies have them.
Again that depends on the purpose of the user. The user might be shooting at something they're not trying to kill.
As for armies having them and using them to kill, the purpose of an army is to kill so that's what they use them for but again its the purpose of the user not the gun itself. And armies usually use explosives and long range missiles instead.

Sure, but either way you are using it to murder an innocent thing. Even though a lot of that murder is legal it does not change the fact that the guns are designed to make killing things easier.

By murdering the person who was trying to murder them usually also with a gun. So if we successfully eliminated most of the best guns to use if you want to illegally murder someone then the remaining guns would balance the terms of almost any engagement.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but either way you are using it to murder an innocent thing. Even though a lot of that murder is legal it does not change the fact that the guns are designed to make killing things easier.
Its an animal not a person. And hunting is good and legal.

By murdering the person who was trying to murder them usually also with a gun. So if we successfully eliminated most of the best guns to use if you want to illegally murder someone then the remaining guns would balance the terms of almost any engagement.
This is the USA where there are roughly 120 guns per 100 people so you can expect bad guys to have guns, and we're never going to eliminate guns since we've already got so many of them in this country.

hmmm...no, I would say that 99.9% of the time a handgun is used it is used for on people. At the very least I would say that in the situations where it is not used for people there are other better weapons that would be more appropriate. I mean I realize some people like to use their Glock as a bottle opener, but you know there are actual bottle openers for that. They even make some that are built into the bottom of your flip-flops.
I would say that whenever a handgun is fired most of the time, by far, its fired at an intimate target whether it be a paper target, watermelon, bottle, ect. Handguns are mostly used for target shooting.

If you'd like to discuss Toxic Masculinity I would be happy to do that in another thread, but unfortunately, almost all of the same people who are gun crazy are also guilty of Toxic Masculinity on top of it, and almost all of the same people who are trying to limit access to guns are also help eliminate Toxic Masculinity as well so...
Toxic Masculinity? I will have you know that as of right now more women are buying guns than ever before, and this tremendous increase in women buying, owning, and training with guns was at full swing during the Obama administration. Women are the fastest growing demographic of gun owners and lots of women got their first guns during the Obama administration.

Well, you see if the main purpose of something has nothing to do with murder then there are many valid reasons why a non-murderer would benefit from their existence. The benefits clearly outweigh the costs in those cases. But if the only valid use case for something is to that a bunch of stupid hicks can get their rocks off by blowing up pumpkins it's okay to say maybe they could find other ways of letting off some steam.
Most gun owners, by far most gun owners are not murderers, and they get tons of benefits from owning guns.

Umm... we do that all the time. What the **** are you talking about? Just yesterday on facebook I saw a post about how instead of extending a stop sign and hoping people follow it school bus drivers have taken the approach of crossing the center line and blocking off traffic entirely so nobody could get by while kids are unloading. It was interesting.
And we also have rules that say no guns in schools. And some schools have metal detectors and require students to have clear backpacks. That is the equivalent of having a bus cross the center line instead of just extending the stop sign.

Because there's no such thing as a National T-Bone a School Bus Association. You see when we offer suggestions to help prevent school bus accidents nobody really fights back so most of the things we need to do in order to mitigate them get implemented without much pushback. Guns are the one thing in this country that just keeps on killing people and yet nothing ever gets done to try and stop it or limit it thanks to people like yourself.
Nobody really fights back against schools having metal detectors as I mentioned above.
And guns don't kill, people kill.

There is no way to reduce suicide by gun without completely appealing the 2A.
And even that would not reduce suicide it would just change the method.

We have 110 million of them. Why don't we have 110 million people shot each year?

We have 110 million of them. Why don't we have 110 million people shot each year?

poor marksmanship or defective guns? or is our British gun basher just plain wrong?

isn't it amusing that the anti gun faction on this board spends so much time attacking lawful gun ownership, the NRA and gun owners, not the violent criminals they dishonestly claim is what motivates their desires for laughably ineffective criminal control laws?
And nary a word about making sure NICS database is up-to-date and complete. And getting people with dangerous mental problems the help they need.

It looks like Manc Skipper has left the building.

Back
Top Bottom