• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What Americans Think about Daily Life

Doug64

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is my third thread dealing with Rasmussen polls. My first (What Americans Think about Politics) and second (What Americans Think about President Biden) are solidly political, naturally enough, but not all Rasmussen polls are political--occasionally they deal with anything from who we think will win the Superbowl to whether we should have a separate holiday for Abraham Lincoln's birthday. As with the first thread, I have the same premium membership as journalists use to get access to the crosstabs they use in their articles, so I can provide them if anyone professes an interest.

And the first poll in this thread, what American Adults think of Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 36% of American Adults agree with Smith’s actions after Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife, including 15% who Strongly Agree. However, a majority (55%) disagree with Smith’s actions, including 38% who Strongly Disagree. Sixty-four percent (64%) of Americans don’t think most Hollywood celebrities are good role models, and only 19% think celebrities are good role models, while another 17% are not sure. Those findings are essentially unchanged since our January 2021 survey.

You have to sign-in or create an account to read it. Frankly, when reading what Americans like or dislike, I get depressed.
Isn't there a game show that deals with what Americans think?

You have to sign-in or create an account to read it.

That's true for most of the content of many of the daily polls reported, but not all of them.

Isn't there a game show that deals with what Americans think?

If there is I haven't heard of it, but it's been years since I've paid much attention to game shows.

Boy, I don't know but seems like I've seen advertisements for something like that, in the past? I don't think I could watch it. :)
Example> Most Americans don't want to drive an electric car. The reason? Doesn't have that big loud sound to it and very fast acceleration.
Geez...not a good reason.

This is my third thread dealing with Rasmussen polls. My first (What Americans Think about Politics) and second (What Americans Think about President Biden) are solidly political, naturally enough, but not all Rasmussen polls are political--occasionally they deal with anything from who we think will win the Superbowl to whether we should have a separate holiday for Abraham Lincoln's birthday. As with the first thread, I have the same premium membership as journalists use to get access to the crosstabs they use in their articles, so I can provide them if anyone professes an interest.

And the first poll in this thread, what American Adults think of Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.
How many people just don't give a shit about what Smith did to Rock?

Boy, I don't know but seems like I've seen advertisements for something like that, in the past? I don't think I could watch it. :)
Example> Most Americans don't want to drive an electric car. The reason? Doesn't have that big loud sound to it and very fast acceleration.
Geez...not a good reason.

There's less than well-thought-out reasons for a lot of what people think, everywhere. Of course, people generally don't so much think as feel, and then come up with reasons to support their feelings....

How many people just don't give a shit about what Smith did to Rock?

If you assume that those that "somewhat" agree and disagree don't care much about it, at least 38%. :unsure:

Is there a poll called 'How Many Americans Think'? My guess would be almost 50%, on a good day.

Is there a poll called 'How Many Americans Think'? My guess would be almost 50%, on a good day.

Which would make us different than everyone else ... how, exactly?

Which would make us different than everyone else ... how, exactly?
No .it would not make Americans different from EVERYONE else, just those who have a lower or higher average IQ or an average better or worse education.

So what do Americans think of working from home?

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 51% of American Adults believe most people would prefer to work from home if they could, while 22% don’t think most would prefer working from home. Another 27% are not sure. Of those who are currently employed at a full-time job, 35% say that as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, they worked full-time from home instead of their usual workplace. Another 15% worked part-time from home during the pandemic, while 45% said they continued working full-time at their usual workplace. Thirty-five percent (35%) of full-time workers say that, after the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, they are more likely to work from home than they did before the pandemic began. Fifty-nine percent (59%) don’t expect to work more from home.

I'm one of those that found myself working from home full time instead of in the office, and I can't say I enjoyed it much. Sure, being able to walk from my bedroom to the game room made into an office in a few steps was nice, but I live only ten minutes by bike from front door to my office desk so that was at best a wash--that ten-minute ride is actually a nice way to start your day. And I missed having my co-workers around me, even if I'm not the most sociable of people. Whether most others agree with me ... probably not, the horror stories of the commute can be brutal!

Easter is this Sunday, and a lot of Americans are going to be in church:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 42% of American Adults say they will attend a church service to celebrate Easter this year. That’s up from 40% last year. Forty-two percent (42%) say they won’t be in church for Easter, down from 47% a year ago, while another 16% are not sure. The number who plan to attend church for Easter this year is still significantly below pre-pandemic levels, when findings ranged from 46% to 59% over the years. Thirty-seven percent (37%) consider Easter, the day Christians believe marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ, one of our nation’s most important holidays. Sixteen percent (16%) say Easter is one of the least important holidays and 41% say it’s somewhere in between. These findings are similar to those in earlier surveys. Christmas, the holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus, remains the top holiday of the year for most Americans, followed by the Fourth of July and Thanksgiving.

You have to sign-in or create an account to read it. Frankly, when reading what Americans like or dislike, I get depressed. With all due respect.

That's true for most of the content of many of the daily polls reported, but not all of them.
I forgot to add, I have a premium membership, so access to the same crosstabs that journalists often include in their reporting if you are ever interested in more detail.

So, apparently Johnny Depp is convincing.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 40% of American Adults believe, based on what they know about the case involving accusations of domestic abuse, that Depp is probably telling the truth. Just 10% think Heard is probably telling the truth. Fifty-one percent (51%) are undecided. The trial between “Pirates of the Caribbean” star Depp and his ex-wife is now in its second week in Fairfax, Virginia. Only 35% of Americans say they’re closely following recent news report about the Depp-Heard trial, including 10% who have Very Closely followed the case. Sixty-three percent (63%) aren’t closely following the trial, including 30% who have Not At All followed news about the case. Among those who say they have Very Closely followed the Depp-Heard trial, 75% think Depp is probably telling the truth, compared to just 12% who believe Heard.

Not quite a "leisure" thing, but definitely "daily life."

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 45% of American homeowners still think the value of their home is likely to go up over the next year. Just 16% say it’s more likely to go down, while 32% expect their home’s value to remain about the same. Confidence in rising home values is down from its all-time of 53% in October 2017, but still well above the levels during President Barack Obama’s term. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of Americans say they own their own home, while 30% say they’re not homeowners. Sixty-five percent (65%) of homeowners say their home is worth more than the amount they still owe on their mortgage, a finding that peaked at 69% in November 2018. Twenty-three percent (23%) now say they owe more than their home is worth. Twelve percent (12%) are not sure.

Not a coffee drinker myself, though I have gotten into cacao (which is even more expensive, luckily I don't drink as much--nowhere near as much, for which we can thank our good friends in Parliament).

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 74% of American Adults drink coffee – up from 66% in 2015. Among coffee drinkers, 37% have just one cup on an average day. Thirty-three percent (33%) average two cups daily, while 18% have three and another 10% drink at least four cups a day. Coffee enhances brain function and also “has been linked to other positive outcomes, such as preventing cancer, diabetes, Parkinson’s, and heart attacks.” Seventy-five percent (75%) of coffee drinkers generally prefer the brew they make at home, while (21%) like coffee they buy in a store or restaurant more. Sixty-two percent (62%) of coffee drinkers say quality is the most important factor when buying a cup of coffee, while 17% say price matters more and convenience is most important for 16%.

And number three in the top four US holidays....

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 47% of American Adults consider Memorial Day to be one of our nation's most important holidays. That’s slightly up from 45% last year. Only seven percent (7%) view Memorial Day one of our least important holidays, while 42% say it’s somewhere in between. Over the years, Americans have consistently rated Christmas and the Fourth of July as the nation’s most important holidays. Memorial Day ranks third, slightly ahead of Thanksgiving Day. Thirty-nine percent (39%) of Americans say one of their close friends or relatives has given their life while serving in the U.S. military. That’s up from 36% in 2018. Fifty-one percent (51%) haven’t lost a close friend or relative in military service, while 11% are not sure.

And summer is now here (for most of us). With inflation, we'll see if we hit even the 36% that vacationed last year....

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 60% of American Adults consider Memorial Day to be the unofficial start of summer, while 26% don’t and another 14% aren’t sure. In 2020, 68% said Memorial Day marked the beginning of summer. Forty-four percent (44%) plan to take a summer vacation this year, but 45% don’t and another 11% are unsure. The number who expect to take a summer vacation is slightly down from 47% last year. In 2020, amid the COVID-19 crisis, a record-low 26% said they planned a summer vacation. Only 36% of Americans say they actually took a vacation last summer, while 60% say they didn’t. Two years ago, 51% said they’d taken a summer vacation in 2019.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 85% of American Adults exercise at least once a week, including 23% who exercise 4-5 times weekly and 21% who exercise daily or almost every day. Only 11% say they never exercise. These findings are similar to our 2017 survey. Eighty-two percent (82%) say exercise is an important part of their daily lives, including 40 who consider it Very Important. Just 15% don’t view exercise as important to their daily lives. About half of Americans (48%) work out less than half an hour when they exercise, including 16% whose exercise routine is usually less than 15 minutes. Forty-five percent (45%) usually exercise longer than 30 minutes, including 16% who work out between 45 minutes and an hour, and seven percent (7%) whose usual workout is over an hour.

I fall into the 4-5 times a week, but less than fifteen minutes--more for time, than anything.

So most American adults think we're facing another Great Depression, think our kids will be worse off than we are, and aren't enjoying the high gas prices at all. But hey, at least our teens won't have any problems finding work!

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 55% of American Adults believe it is likely the United States will enter a 1930s-like depression over the next few years, including 25% who think another Great Depression is Very Likely. That’s the highest finding in regular surveying since 2009. Thirty-four percent (34%) now don’t think another depression is likely, while 11% are not sure. JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon made headlines last week when he warned investors to “brace yourself” for an economic “hurricane” approaching. Only 28% believe the stock market be higher a year from now, while 33% think it will be lower. Twenty percent (20%) expect the stock market to be about the same a year from now, while another 19% are not sure. Only 20% think today’s children will be better off than their parents, while a majority (56%) believe today’s children will be worse off than their parents. Twenty-five percent (25%) are not sure. The number who think children will be better off has declined from 28% in 2018.
The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 57% of American Adults say the rising price of gasoline has affected their vacation plans for this summer. Thirty-six percent (36%) say their vacation plans have not been affected by high gas prices. The average price of a gallon of gasoline, which was $2.20 in November 2020, rose to $3.50 by November 2021, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has caused the price to spike even higher, reaching a national average of $4.98 per gallon this week. Eighty-two percent (82%) say rising gasoline prices are a serious problem for their personal budget, including 60% who say higher gas prices are a Very Serious problem. These findings have changed little since March.
The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 86% of American Adults believe it’s at least somewhat important for young people to have jobs during the summer when they are out of school, including 55% who feel it’s Very Important. Only 11% don’t think summer jobs for young people are important. Fifty percent (50%) don’t believe it will be very difficult for young people to find summer jobs in the current economy, including 17% who expect it will be Not At All Difficult for teenagers to find work. Forty-two percent (42%) of American Adults think young people will find it at least Somewhat Difficult to get a summer job, but only 16% think it will be Very Difficult. The number who think young people will have difficulty finding summer work is down from 49% last year, and much lower than during Barack Obama’s presidency, when the number reached as high as 80%.

We've long called it America's Pastime, but ...

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 12% of American Adults have attended a Major League Baseball game this year, while 87% haven’t gone to a game. Forty percent (40%) say they’ve watched MLB games on TV this year, while 57% have not. Twelve percent (12%) say baseball is their favorite sport to follow, compared to 36% who say football is their favorite. These findings haven’t changed much since 2017. Eleven percent (11%) say basketball is their favorite sport, while hockey and soccer are each favorites for six percent (6%). Auto racing is the favorite for five percent (5%), while three percent (3%) name golf as their favorite and tennis is the favorite of two percent (2%). Ten percent (10%) say some other sport is their favorite and 10% are not sure.

We may not get all that excited about Father's Day, but at least we get the importance of fathers and families right.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 67% of American Adults think being a father is the most important role for a man to fill in today’s world. Only 17% disagree, while another 16% are not sure. Eighty-seven percent (87%) believe it is important for children to grow up in a home with both of their parents, including 65% who say it’s Very Important. Only 10% think two-parent homes are not important for children. Twenty-one percent (21%) consider Father’s Day one of our nation’s most important holidays, unchanged from last year, while 17% consider it one of the least important. A majority (59%) see it as somewhere in between. Over the years, Americans have consistently rated Christmas and the Fourth of July as the nation’s most important holidays.

So, for most of us the long nightmare of the Wuhan virus is over, and I doubt it will be back:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 52% of American Adults think the danger of COVID-19 is mostly over now, while 40% still consider the virus a major public health threat. These findings are nearly unchanged from April. Thirty-six percent (36%) think public schools should make COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for students, but 53% are opposed to such a mandate. Another 11% are not sure. These findings have changed only slightly since January. The federal Food and Drug Administration recently approved COVID-19 vaccines for children under age 5. Fifty-five percent (55%) believe it is important for young children to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including 33% who say it’s Very Important. Thirty-seven percent (37%) don’t think the COVID-19 vaccine is important for young children, including 22% who say it’s Not At All Important.

And perhaps less important but more immediate:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 38% of American Adults report getting about eight hours sleep on most weeknights, while 53% get less than that. Another six percent (6%) say they usually get more than eight hours sleep. However, 95% believe a good night’s sleep is important to their health, including 76% who say it’s Very Important. If they’re missing out on sleep during the week, many make it up on the weekend. Thirty-eight percent (38%) report they stay in bed later on weekend mornings, but 59% wake up at the same time on weekends as they do during the week. Forty-five percent (45%) take an afternoon nap at least once a week, including 24% who take more than one nap a week. Another 15% say they take a nap at least monthly, but 38% rarely or never take an afternoon nap.

Back
Top Bottom