• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What am I? What are you?

What am I?

• Total voters

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
  • I believe in personal responsibility.
  • I believe law abiding citizens should have the right to keep and bear arms
  • I believe the government should have no rule over an adult person's private life - IE whom they marry or if they choose to end an unwanted pregnancy
  • I believe that people will sometimes need a hand to get back on their feet; but also believe that should have it's limits - teach a man to fish.............
  • I believe everyone should pay their own way
  • I believe it's my responsibility to teach my children about certain things and that it's not the public school systems job - IE birth control
  • I believe there is a place for religion, but schools aren't it
  • I believe science to be a significant part of who we are and that it should be stressed in schools, along with mathematics
  • I believe the United States should NOT be the worlds police force
  • I believe the public school system as we know it, should be overhauled
  • I believe we need election reform
  • I believe a flat tax would be more beneficial to all and would be the fairest tax
  • I believe we are responsible for the debt we have left for our children and for our children's children - it's up to us to do something about that - now
  • I believe people should plan for their OWN retirement and should not be forced to pay into a failing plan
  • I believe all bills should stand on their own and should not be weighed down with riders
  • I believe in term limits for ALL elected governmental representatives

These are only some of mine - what are some of yours AND.. what do the above beliefs tell you about my political leaning? Is it always cut and dried?

Is there such a thing as 'right' and 'left' or is it all in our perception based on a few core beliefs?

Thoughts please.

• I believe the government should have no rule over an adult person's private life - IE whom they marry or if they choose to end an unwanted pregnancy
  • I believe that people will sometimes need a hand to get back on their feet; but also believe that should have it's limits - teach a man to fish.............
  • I believe it's my responsibility to teach my children about certain things and that it's not the public school systems job - IE birth control
  • I believe science to be a significant part of who we are and that it should be stressed in schools, along with mathematics
  • I believe a flat tax would be more beneficial to all and would be the fairest tax
  • I believe we are responsible for the debt we have left for our children and for our children's children - it's up to us to do something about that - now
  • I believe people should plan for their OWN retirement and should not be forced to pay into a failing plan
  • I believe all bills should stand on their own and should not be weighed down with riders

These are only some of mine - what are some of yours AND.. what do the above beliefs tell you about my political leaning? Is it always cut and dried?

Is there such a thing as 'right' and 'left' or is it all in our perception based on a few core beliefs?

Thoughts please.

Youre turning me on! :2razz:

I mostly lean right, fiscally and socially, but there are exceptions. I hold some libertarian positions, and some centrist positions.

I'm not against progressive tax, as long as the top rate isn't too high and the progression isn't too steep. For the foreseeable future, progressive tax is a necessary evil; I think we'd have to trim 30% or more off the budget before a flat tax would be feasible, and how great are the odds of that happening?

I favor the legalization of marijuana, including the supply and distribution chain. Am undecided on other drugs, but lean towards legalization unless there is proof that the societal costs would be dramatically negative. (Reason: to disempower the cartels and gangs and dealers, and end the march toward a police state.)

Although I don't think Federal social programs are authorized by the Constitution, I can live with some kind of safety net... but I think it needs to be more temporary, and focused on getting the person back in the workforce as a PRODUCER as soon as possible.... also I think there should be a lifetime limit on gov't bennies, and the free-riders need to be cut out of the loop ASAP.

To answer the first question:

Your the kind of woman I want in my life thats what you are!

To answer the next question:

I want the government both federal and state out of my personal and financial affairs

I want the drug war to be killed with extreme hatred

I want my check to no longer be raped with taxes for bull**** programs that the private sector can do better

I hate tax payer funded foreign aid

I believe that our country isnt the world police. If chicken****, chickenhawks wanna go fight to protect another nation than do it on your own ****ing dime and take your ****stain families along with you.

I believe all entitlement programs at the Federal Level are illegal and its funding should be cut and destroyed

I believe that everyone has a right to own as many guns as they want

Its not the government business to tell what adults can and cannot do in their private lives

1. I too believe in personal responsibility
2. I also strongly support our 2nd Amendment rights
3. I believe that marriage is traditionally a religious institution, not a government institution - that being said, same-sex marriages don't really bother me, in my spiritual/religious view it's wrong, but the govt. shouldn't interfere
4. I believe that aborting an unwanted fetus is equivalent to murder.
5. I believe in limited entitlements as well - FDR had the right idea, but WAY too many people qualify now and collect for WAY too long. We need too fix intergenerational welfare.
6. I believe that if people are able to work, they should be required to "pay their own way".
7. I believe that parents should be more responsible and involved with their children and then it wouldn't be left up too the schools too teach kids about things like birth control.
8. I also strongly support religious freedom/toleration and agree that public schools are no place to promote a particular religion/religious practive: however, I feel that the "free exercise clause" applies beyond the schoolhouse door as well.
9. I also believe that schools should focus more on a science/math-based curriculum. 30 years of back-sliding toward mediocrity in math and the hard Sciencies is quite long enough.
10. I believe that the United States should have the right to "police" other areas of the world IF our own economic, miltary, or national security interests are being threatened.
11. I support an educational voucher system - bring education into the free-market system and let the competition for "customers" drive innovation, improvement and efficiency
12. I believe we should scrap the Electoral College
13. I believe that a National Consumption tax would be more beneficial and "fairest" to all.
14. I have no problem with running a relatively high Federal deficit when the economic situation warrants it. FDR did it successfully (with a little luck and a World War to help things out :lol:) There's always going to be someone out there willing to buy up public debt and the Chinese seem to be pretty good at handling their investments :mrgreen:
15. I also believe in a "government-organized" retirement plan giving the individual an option to invest in the private market. Social Security has quite simply outlived its viability and effectiveness.
16. I also agree with you own Congressional bills - get rid of "riders" and you get rid of all the PORK!
17. I'm with you on term limits as well.

Well, I don't know what this makes me, but there it is :shrug:

Thoughts please.
Yes, I believe that there is. I do, however, believe that most people are not completely on the Right or completely on the Left but depending on the issue, all over the spectrum. I have met very few people who appear to be ENTIRELY liberal or conservative on ALL issues (ie. politically, fiscally, morally, spiritually, etc.) :shrug:

Last edited:

Thoughts please.

I think you are a moderate/centrist. I've heard it said that the U.S. is a center-right nation. I actually disagree with that. I think the U.S. is more of a nation that's fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Americans want accountability in government, but wants to keep government out of their personal lives. I think that's what you are. :)

Here's my own list of beliefs that I wrote up:
  • I believe in freedom of expression.
  • I believe law abiding citizens should have the right to keep and bear arms, but that it is not an absolute right.
  • I believe local governments, state governments, and the federal government should have the right to regulate certain kinds of firearms, and regulate them in certain ways.
  • I believe in the right for people to defend themselves.
  • I believe in the right to privacy.
  • I believe the government should stay out of people's private lives.
  • I believe that the government should provide safety nets to it's people because no other organization really cares about people.
  • I believe that the government should provide opportunities and access for education to the people so they can better themselves.
  • I believe that people have a freedom of religion but that people also have a freedom from religions.
  • I believe that childrens' studies should be strongly tailored towards their individual talents and interests.
  • I believe that schools should teach children about sex education, but that teachers can also provide information packets to parents to help them talk to their children about sex education.
  • I believe that the progressive income tax system is what has allowed the United States to grow and expand into a civilized industrialized power.
  • I believe that the progressive income tax system should be more nuanced at higher levels so that billionaires are taxed more than those who earn $100 million are taxed more than those who earn $10 million.
  • I believe that the best reform for Social Security is to pass a constituional amendment preventing the government from borrowing off of the money paid into it.
  • I believe in socialized health care for at least all children and the mentally ill.
  • I believe that an electoral system of Instant Run-off Voting will allow more third-party participation and lead to more moderate politics.
  • I believe that a high percentage of all federal taxes collected in a state should be spent in that state for federal projects.
  • I believe that a balanced budget amendment is bad, but that a limited debt amendment would be good.
  • I believe that government regulations should be used to force the private sector to construct profitable housing affordable to the poor instead of using public housing or subsidized mortgages.
  • I believe in consumer protections, especially regarding credit card companies.
  • I believe that anyone who enters the civil service, law enforcement, or military service should get a free college education.
  • I believe that guilds should be more prevalent to provide basic minimum standards of pay and working conditions for different sectors of industry and services.
  • I believe that Congress should better assert it's authority through the power of the purse as a check against the growing power of the President.
  • I believe in the dissolution of the military-industrial-congressional complex.
  • I am against property taxes for residential housing.
  • I believe in a system of capital gains taxes in which the longer a person holds on to a stock, the less capital gains taxes he has to pay on that stock.
  • I believe in more prevalent public transportation, especially high-speed rails, in rural areas.
  • I believe that all drugs should be legalized and regulated.
  • I believe that we shouldn't criminalize teenagers for being teenagers.
  • I believe in the freedom for men and women to exercise their reproductive rights.
  • I believe that better birth control for men should be developed.
  • I believe that all laws should sunset after 20 years unless legislatures vote again to retain those laws for another 20 years.
  • I believe in a penal system based on rehabilitation and education rather than based on punishment.
  • I believe in the establishment of a DHS academy to train agents in homeland security and disaster response, similar to the FBI academy.
  • I believe in better natural disaster response planning on all levels of government.
  • I believe that just because a bunch of guys get elected into office, they can't just sign a piece of paper and change reality.

I believe in a balance between personal responsibility and societal action.
I am fine with the second amendment
I believe everyone should have to pay their own way until they honestly cannot, than they should receive help.
I believe that religion and science should keep to their own spheres.
I believe that scientific and mathmatical education is more important than any other academic subject, by far.
I believe the US should be as noninterventionalist as possible.

I believe I will think of some more stuff after I post.

I am a democrat with several beliefs typically reserved for Republicans. I believe that we need a strong military and intelligence community however the way we are going about it right now is incredibly ineffective. Here are my main beliefs right now:

-The military and intelligence needs to be made stronger and better by cutting the fat off of both in ways beneficial for them and the American tax payer (example, closing shop in most countries we are in other than our strongest allies such as Germany and Japan)
-marijuana should be legalized
-We need a public option
-school should be free or have some kind of massive tax write-off
-China is America's biggest enemy, NOT terrorism and they need to be dealt with in the next 10 years or our empire will fall
-Abortion other than in the cases of rape or incest should be 100% outlawed
-Gays should be able to marry nationwide
-All immigrants should instantly get citizenship but should get taxed more for awhile (like several other countries do)

I believe if all of these issues were tackled everyone would be much happier and our deficit would go away within 10 years.

Edit: oh and one more, welfare, food stamps, etc all of that needs to be carefully examined. In these hard times several people need the extra help but I have been witness to people rolling up in a brand new Escalade, wearing brand new air jordans, and texting on a iPhone while using a food stamp card and that **** needs to end.

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone who has participated so far. It's very interesting to read everyone's stances on certain issues.. and although I don't agree with a lot of them, I respect the people that have shared theirs with the rest of us. Thanks for the civility exhibited here..! :D

I do think that this goes to show that as different as some of us are politically, we DO have some things in common and I think it's important to keep that in mind.

Looks like I'm your first rootabega.

I'm a Fascist. Depending on who you ask, Fascism is either right-wing or left-wing. Depending on who you ask, so am I. I consider "left versus right" to be an outdated and obsolescent paradigm, and it has been since the early parts of last century.

Here is what I believe:

• I believe the State and the People together form one organic whole, a Nation united by common values and purpose.
  • I believe that the State has the authority and the obligation to do whatever is necessary for the Nation.
  • I believe that benevolent rulers, be they elected officials or autocrats, have the Mandate of Heaven and the People are morally obligated to support and obey them.
  • I believe that bad rulers, incompetent rulers, and selfish rulers lose the Mandate of Heaven, and that the People are morally obligated to overthrow and destroy them.
  • I believe that every able-bodied adult has a moral obligation to defend the Nation, and that as the militia, they should be well-armed and well-trained.
  • I believe that our children are the future of our Nation, and that the State should encourage both eugenic procreation and comprehensive education.
  • I believe that the Nation should stay vital by exerting the State's power over other nations.
  • I believe that a nation's power and influence, and thus its health, is either increasing or declining. I believe that my nation is declining, and fear that it's continued decline may be inevitable.

:kitty:

I believe gays should have the same civil rights as straights
abortion is a medical issue involving a woman, the man who impregnated her and her doctor
that gun control is not federally permissible and that any state government should be precluded from banning citizens from possessing weapons similar to weapons that government issues to its civilian employees
I believe in a consumption tax and in the alternative, a flat tax. A progressive income tax was designed to give congress more power than ever intended and is doomed to create an unsustainable system by allowing the many's votes to be bought by politicians promising them the wealth of the few
I have no problem with trade unions but I believe public sector unions should be banned
I oppose affirmative action as currently practiced as violating both the constitution and TITLE VII
even the descendents of slave owners owe nothing to the great great grandchildren of slaves
Religion is a private matter
I believe that the USA should not be the world's police force but pure isolationism will lead to more WTCs

I'm not Australian. :doh :lol:

My main political belief is:

The only culture the United States government can promote is one of republicanism. Its metaphysics is natural law, its ethics is humanism, and its policies are a synthesis of pragmatism and principle. If individuals feel non-republican values would benefit the community in some way, it is their right to promote them with their own resources. Values irreconcilable with republicanism are regulated, if not outright forbidden.

Last edited:
I am for fiscal responsibility and feel the government should budget in a responsible manner.
I am for states' rights to define marriage, however I am against gay marriage.
I am against all forms of abortion with the only exception being to save the life of the mother.
I am for government healthcare or some kind of public option.
I am for a more non-interventionist foreign policy.
I do not believe in AGW and I want the government to be more skeptical.
I am against political term limits in the House and Senate.
I am for congressional accountability and no privacy within the House and Senate (meaning all citizens have access to every conversation that goes on with reasonable restrictions on ones regarding national security).
I believe congressman should forfeit certain rights (financial privacy rights) and be reminded that they are servants of the people they represent and not in congress to be served.
I think the president should be elected every 2 years and that the president should be allowed to serve 4 2 year terms.
I believe in making legal compromises where justice is served and legal loopholes aren't allowed to prevent that.
I believe in deporting all illegal residents and strongly enforcing laws regarding employers hiring illegal residents.

There are other views I hold as well, and my views are constantly evolving. I try to keep an open mind on issues. I would consider myself and independent with my Christian faith being the root of my beliefs.

I am for limiting petty bureaucracy
I am for state welfare, but with incentives to get off it.
I believe in AGW, but dislike how it's being dealt with.
I believe in limiting immigration to migrants skilled in areas with a shortage of workers and refugees.
I am for limiting expansion of urban areas and expanding national parks

That's just a few I can think of off the top of my head, the last two are ones I feel quite strongly about.

My main political belief is:

The only culture the United States government can promote is one of republicanism. Its metaphysics is natural law, its ethics is humanism, and its policies are a synthesis of pragmatism and principle. If individuals feel non-republican values would benefit the community in some way, it is their right to promote them with their own resources. Values irreconcilable with republicanism are regulated, if not outright forbidden.

What? If you think that republicanism equals humanism? No disrespect but you done lost your mind.

What? If you think that republicanism equals humanism? No disrespect but you done lost your mind.

I don't think he is talking about the Republican party, but about republicanism (the form of republic government).

I don't think he is talking about the Republican party, but about republicanism (the form of republic government).

OK. I was confused.

But has anyone ever given thought that our republic is not working for us? Of course they have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom