• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#656]What Age Should be Required to Legally Purchase an AR-15 in the US?

What Age Should be Required to Legally Purchase an AR-15 in the US?

• Total voters
You automatically rapid fire reject every argument and all data such as polling that shows massively that Americans support specific improvements to gun purchasing laws. You call overwhelming polling results against you ignorance. You're not credible.
your argument is because lots of stupid or ignorant people support something-that proves that the scheme will actually work?

Uh huh. You are misreading things.

For example, it specificalloy says

Try harder
so tell me-why would only banning cosmetic features have any value. It is as stupid as saying the way to stop street racing is to prevent people from putting racing stripes on their cars

so tell me-why would only banning cosmetic features have any value. It is as stupid as saying the way to stop street racing is to prevent people from putting racing stripes on their cars
Well, yes, the original had loopholes, but those loopholes can be closed.

You automatically rapid fire reject every argument and all data such as polling that shows massively that Americans support specific improvements to gun purchasing laws. You call overwhelming polling results against you ignorance. You're not credible.
He is much more credible than you are. He uses facts and logic. You should give it a try.

As an urbanite who has never owned a gun and knows little about them, I have a genuine question for gun-owners. Are there any actual use cases for owning an AR-15? It seems like I only ever hear people talk about owning an AR-15 to own the libs, or occasionally they have some paranoid fantasy about overthrowing the government. But maybe that's just a result of my information bubble.

In your day-to-day life, are there any situations where an AR-15 is actually the most practical weapon for...whatever you use it for? I genuinely don't know.

I taught my kids with it, and have hunted small game with it. A friend of the family got a fox that was killing their chickens with his just recently.

For teaching the kids, it was a later stage of graduated learning: air rifle / 22 rifle / AR / 7 mm 08.

I'll admit I don't use my weapons as much as I should; marksmanship is a perishable skill. But the AR style is incredibly user friendly, and helps with that.

When making your choice, consider the age that a human brain is mature enough to make proper decisions to one's best ability for understanding what's best for all.

In the 1990s, sales of AR-15 style rifles increased dramatically, partly as a result of the introduction of the flat top upper receiver (M4 variant) which allowed scopes and sighting devices to be easily mounted as well as new features such as free floating hand guards that increased accuracy.[69] While only a handful of companies were manufacturing these rifles in 1994, by the 21st century the number of AR-15 style rifles had more than doubled.[71] From 2000 to 2015, the number of manufacturers of AR-15 style variants and knock-offs increased from 29 to about 500.[72] AR-15 style rifles are now available in a wide range of configurations and calibers from a large number of manufacturers. These configurations range from standard full-sizes rifles with 20-inch (51 cm) barrels, to short carbine-length models with 16-inch (41 cm) barrels, adjustable length stocks and optical sights, to long range target models with 24-inch (61 cm) barrels, bipods and high-powered scopes.[73]

In September 2019, Colt Firearms announced it was discontinuing production of the AR-15 for the consumer market, citing "significant excess manufacturing capacity" across the industry and the company's "high-volume contracts" with military and police forces that were "absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles."[74] However, in 2020 Colt resumed production of the AR-15, following a surge in demand in the United States consumer market.[75]

Estimates vary as to how many of the rifles are owned in the United States. The National Shooting Sports Foundation has estimated that approximately 5 million to 10 million AR-15 style rifles exist in the U.S. within the broader total of the 300 million firearms owned by Americans.[76]

The type of gun used to kill 21 people, including 19 children, at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school on Tuesday was also used for 11 other mass shootings since 2012, according to USA Today.

The gun is an AR-15 style rifle, which is a semiautomatic, or "self-loading," assault rifle. The weapon was dubbed as "America's rifle" by the NRA, which is holding its annual convention about four hours from Uvalde in Houston on Friday and Saturday.

“We hear that all the time, and people like that aren’t going to follow whatever law you pass,” he said.

But he said lawmakers should consider whether 18-year-olds are able to legally purchase weapons like the AR-15.

“I’m not in a position where I’ll be able to work on that specifically, but it’s certainly — when I hear that, it gives me pause,” he said. “Maybe we should discuss that. We do have limits — 21 years old for drinking and things like that, so it may be worth looking at something like that.”

I'm okay with 25 for AR15s, along with voting, driving, and being drafted. People are living longer, and kids are getting more useless and irresponsible.

I taught my kids with it, and have hunted small game with it. A friend of the family got a fox that was killing their chickens with his just recently.

For teaching the kids, it was a later stage of graduated learning: air rifle / 22 rifle / AR / 7 mm 08.

I'll admit I don't use my weapons as much as I should; marksmanship is a perishable skill. But the AR style is incredibly user friendly, and helps with that.
That's how it goes and it's what happens when you do it right.

On my return to the USA in November, after 25 years abroad and no guns, I bought a 9 mm from a longtime friend who has a rifle in every room of his house. I got a shoulder holster too cause it makes me feel like Eliot Ness ha. CC and all that.

My friend let me fire a couple of his guns to get me back in shape. The 45 was good to me, the 9mm was good too but his AR-15 was too nasty for the 78 year old that I am -- very heavy to hold steady standing and a hard trigger. In the Army Infantry many moons ago and with my fabulous friend the M-14 I fired high score on the Trainfire range with 89 hits against 112 popup targets in trees and brush up to 350 meters. I got a ballentine in squat on the fixed target range which was separate from Trainfire.

Crime is huge in Florida where I'm pretty much settled so I took my friend's offer to buy the 9mm and just the other night I chased away somebody outside just by cocking the sucker. Gone like a bat outta hell he was ha. Nuthin since.

I shot me two possums and an armadillo while staying temporarily at the friend's house with the wife who are both retired too. They live out in the wilderness and I couldn't smoke in the house cause the lady has a strict rule so I'd go outside on the deck to smoke. After seeing possums and armadillos coming up into the yard nights we agreed I'd take a 22 out with me at night so that's how I went 3 for 3 over only two nights. All I saw nights after that were the same couple of rabbits come out of the woodline into the yard and I let 'em be.

I just think nobody under 30 should own a military firearm. Weapons on the market require a presumption of maturity even if that isn't a guarantee. It's just that these national mass murder rampages are mostly teenagers or by guys in their early 20s. The shooters are readily identified in this way.

He is much more credible than you are. He uses facts and logic. You should give it a try.
Au contraire, TD is a machine gun of denials.

And shotgun blasts of accusations.

Republican-Conservatives in Washington and many state capitals enable the mostly teenage shooters that we've had.

your argument is because lots of stupid or ignorant people support something-that proves that the scheme will actually work?
You haven't shown it won't work.

All you have is a focused series of politically based denounciations.

Hit and run drive-by jobs.

You haven't shown it won't work.

All you have is a focused series of politically based denounciations.

Hit and run drive-by jobs.
I don't have to-if you want to piss all over our rights, the burden is a heavy one upon you to show that your actions will objectively decrease violent crime

Republican-Conservatives in Washington and many state capitals enable the mostly teenage shooters that we've had.
you don't like the fact that facts and your anti gun narrative are hostile to each other. I like how you lie about teenage shooters-far more teenage shooters are inner city black gang bangers in democrat run cities. in fact its probably 20 to one

you don't like the fact that facts and your anti gun narrative are hostile to each other. I like how you lie about teenage shooters-far more teenage shooters are inner city black gang bangers in democrat run cities. in fact its probably 20 to one
in "fact" it's "probably" makes no sense whatsoever. Indeed it's contradictive, by definition. FAIL on your part.

I just said that. No need to be redundantly redundant, and draw more attention to your 'illogical' posting FAILURE.
more obsessive nonsense. your silly post makes no sense at all.

Tell us how something is "probable" but "factual."
tell us about your need to constantly joint threads because of me? My posts speak for themselves. if you cannot understand them, that is on you , not me

tell us about your need to constantly joint threads because of me? My posts speak for themselves. if you cannot understand them, that is on you , not me
You can't do it. Your FAILURE is accepted.

You can't do it. Your FAILURE is accepted.
Until you actually post about the topic, rather than me, I am going to not respond to your nonsense. good night

I think AR 15’s should only be issued to the military. They should be banned, and the government should buy them and send them to Ukraine or Taiwan. That’s what I think, but doubt it will happen.

Until you actually post about the topic, rather than me, I am going to not respond to your nonsense. good night
I directly responded to your posted words in your post# 113. Were 'your' words I addressed in that post not "about the topic"?

I think AR 15’s should only be issued to the military. They should be banned, and the government should buy them and send them to Ukraine or Taiwan. That’s what I think, but doubt it will happen.
yeah because it is really stupid on several fronts including unconstitutional, and why would the military want them when they are inferior to real assault rifles?

These shooting are happening under Biden. The Dims also control both houses of congress. Point your finger someplace else. You won't seem so foolish.

Back
Top Bottom