• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#656]What Age Should be Required to Legally Purchase an AR-15 in the US?

What Age Should be Required to Legally Purchase an AR-15 in the US?

• Total voters
Spain's gun regulation is fairly relaxed. Rifles and shotguns are available on application for a licence. Handguns are harder to come by, unless you are a military/police officer, or are a celebrity with a need for personal protection (this last is available very rarely, and concealed carry even more so) Just wanting a hand gun isn't a reason in itself. Other than farmers/sports shooters, nobody really needs a gun, so burglars don't need one either. They want your stuff, not a fight to the death.

People are focused on the AR-15 and similar-looking rifles.

The Uvalde perp could have done as much damage in that situation with a pistol and extra magazines, or with a shotgun and extra shells.

The AR-15 is not, on a shot-for-shot basis, a very powerful rifle. A typical deer rifle is more powerful.

In the 1950s and 60s you could buy semi-automatic rifles of the same capabilities via mail order. Yet we had far far fewer mass shootings (they did happen, just not as often). What changed? It wasn't guns...
The 1970'and 80's changed. Reagan and the NRA promoted a supercharged nationalist armed agenda.

21 seems good to me.

The Uvalde perp could have done as much damage in that situation with a pistol and extra magazines, or with a shotgun and extra shells.

The AR-15 is not, on a shot-for-shot basis, a very powerful rifle. A typical deer rifle is more powerful.

In the 1950s and 60s you could buy semi-automatic rifles of the same capabilities via mail order. Yet we had far far fewer mass shootings (they did happen, just not as often). What changed? It wasn't guns...

Well, considering the inaction of the cops, of course you're absolutely right.
He could have done as much damage with an old flintlock. He had almost an HOUR.

When making your choice, consider the age that a human brain is mature enough to make proper decisions to one's best ability for understanding what's best for all.
THe same age as when they are allowed to vote and be drafted into military service.

When making your choice, consider the age that a human brain is mature enough to make proper decisions to one's best ability for understanding what's best for all.

In the 1990s, sales of AR-15 style rifles increased dramatically, partly as a result of the introduction of the flat top upper receiver (M4 variant) which allowed scopes and sighting devices to be easily mounted as well as new features such as free floating hand guards that increased accuracy.[69] While only a handful of companies were manufacturing these rifles in 1994, by the 21st century the number of AR-15 style rifles had more than doubled.[71] From 2000 to 2015, the number of manufacturers of AR-15 style variants and knock-offs increased from 29 to about 500.[72] AR-15 style rifles are now available in a wide range of configurations and calibers from a large number of manufacturers. These configurations range from standard full-sizes rifles with 20-inch (51 cm) barrels, to short carbine-length models with 16-inch (41 cm) barrels, adjustable length stocks and optical sights, to long range target models with 24-inch (61 cm) barrels, bipods and high-powered scopes.[73]

In September 2019, Colt Firearms announced it was discontinuing production of the AR-15 for the consumer market, citing "significant excess manufacturing capacity" across the industry and the company's "high-volume contracts" with military and police forces that were "absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles."[74] However, in 2020 Colt resumed production of the AR-15, following a surge in demand in the United States consumer market.[75]

Estimates vary as to how many of the rifles are owned in the United States. The National Shooting Sports Foundation has estimated that approximately 5 million to 10 million AR-15 style rifles exist in the U.S. within the broader total of the 300 million firearms owned by Americans.[76]

The type of gun used to kill 21 people, including 19 children, at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school on Tuesday was also used for 11 other mass shootings since 2012, according to USA Today.

The gun is an AR-15 style rifle, which is a semiautomatic, or "self-loading," assault rifle. The weapon was dubbed as "America's rifle" by the NRA, which is holding its annual convention about four hours from Uvalde in Houston on Friday and Saturday.

“We hear that all the time, and people like that aren’t going to follow whatever law you pass,” he said.

But he said lawmakers should consider whether 18-year-olds are able to legally purchase weapons like the AR-15.

“I’m not in a position where I’ll be able to work on that specifically, but it’s certainly — when I hear that, it gives me pause,” he said. “Maybe we should discuss that. We do have limits — 21 years old for drinking and things like that, so it may be worth looking at something like that.”
Where is the not at any age option?
And guns in general should be 25 not 21. Why would you even list 18 or 21?

Good post. I agree with you. All guns are a terrible danger and should be made illegal.

Because I am moral and have health values.
LOL that is such oozing bullshit that I am laughing. but I appreciate your prior post. I have anti gunners constantly tell me NO ONE whatsoever wants to ban guns (just some of them) and your post proves they are wrong. Thanks

LOL that is such oozing bullshit that I am laughing. but I appreciate your prior post. I have anti gunners constantly tell me NO ONE whatsoever wants to ban guns (just some of them) and your post proves they are wrong. Thanks

People have been fed so much bullshit for so long that they no longer consider the moral imperative possible.

Sad

People have been fed so much bullshit for so long that they no longer consider the moral imperative possible.

Sad
I don't see that as having any relevance to the topic

it is the anti gun side that spews the bullshit.

He could not have legally bought a pistol.

As to a shotgun. You get 5 rounds off. Now granted, you damn near would cut someone in two if you are shooting 3 and 1/2 inch magnum buckshot, but then you then have to reload it. Most shotguns are not fast to reload. The moment you are doing that, kids can run out. The other problem you are going to have with most shotguns is the barrel is going to get too hot after you get several rounds off. This would even be more the case with a deer rifle.

Point being there is a reason why these psychopaths choose a AR often for mass shootings. That said, he could have done the same in the same amount of time with handguns (see Virginia Tech), but he would not have been able to buy them.

Its really neither here nor there as there are something like 20 to 30 million AR-15s in private hands these days, so it is rather pointless at this point to ban their sale.

do you want us to list all the lies the anti gun posters tell starting with the only reason to own an AR 15 is to kill lots of people

or that you can kill hundreds of people in a few minutes with an AR 15

or that "only a moron would use an AR 15 for home defense"

or semi autos are only designed to kill people

or you only need 2 or 6 shots for home defense

The sucker is so heavy I'd doubt many men in or past their late sixties could keep it steady in a standing position to fire it accurately.

So age 65 might be a good start point to be able to buy it.

Or sell it only to old guys who use a walker. Yeah, I'm saying the thing should be banned, for sure.

He could not have legally bought a pistol.

As to a shotgun. You get 5 rounds off. Now granted, you damn near would cut someone in two if you are shooting 3 and 1/2 inch magnum buckshot, but then you then have to reload it. Most shotguns are not fast to reload. The moment you are doing that, kids can run out. The other problem you are going to have with most shotguns is the barrel is going to get too hot after you get several rounds off. This would even be more the case with a deer rifle.

Point being there is a reason why these psychopaths choose a AR often for mass shootings. That said, he could have done the same in the same amount of time with handguns (see Virginia Tech), but he would not have been able to buy them.

Its really neither here nor there as there are something like 20 to 30 million AR-15s in private hands these days, so it is rather pointless at this point to ban their sale.
the moment you reload the kids run out. Yeah right what if the shooter is standing in front of the door and brains the first kid with a butt stroke.

Look, people are going to have to give a little. For example, Federal Red Flag Laws, and raising the age to buy any firearms to 21. If you don't, if you remain zealots, then at some point the public will turn on you so much that you will actually lose some 2nd Amendment rights. There are only so many of these tragedies that people are going to see happen before they start getting really anti-gun and it will be a big voting issue for them. So you need to give an inch to say you are doing something before people turn against you to the point you are giving a mile.

The sucker is so heavy I'd doubt many men in or past their late sixties could keep it steady in a standing position to fire it accurately.

So age 65 might be a good start point to be able to buy it.

Or sell it only to old guys who use a walker. Yeah, I'm saying the thing should be banned, for sure.
why is it that everyone on this board who wants to ban these commonly owned rifles is a left-winger?

Look, people are going to have to give a little. For example, Federal Red Flag Laws, and raising the age to buy any firearms to 21. If you don't, if you remain zealots, then at some point the public will turn on you so much that you will actually lose some 2nd Amendment rights. There are only so many of these tragedies that people are going to see happen before they start getting really anti-gun and it will be a big voting issue for them. So you need to give an inch to say you are doing something before people turn against you to the point you are giving a mile.
,maybe gun owners should say its time to stop giving away here and there to people whose main goal is ultimately banning most if not all guns and lawful gun use?

the moment you reload the kids run out. Yeah right what if the shooter is standing in front of the door and brains the first kid with a butt stroke.
Maybe, or maybe they run past you. The fact is, there is a reason why they choose these types of weapons. This guy got off way more rounds than you could get off with a shotgun before you blew the barrel out of it. Not to mention, his shoulder would soon be utterly trashed due the recoil.

Back
Top Bottom