• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What about those who don't believe in God?

We are happier and smarter, and don't live in fear.

Curious...this question is to the non-believers...what exactly would it take for you to believe there is a God who created all things?

Dying and then not being dead.

Besides the man's voice and accent being messmerizing, I also appreciated his reasoning...makes sense to me...

Why do people come on this forum trying to convert others?

Those who don't believe in a deity are the only ones who can the face reality of the finite nature of their existence.

Believe me, I would love to exist forever. As I get older, the thought of non existence is just...disturbing.

Nonetheless, I am not going to deny reality for the extremely tiny chance that I may be wrong.

The life span of ancient people were usually violently short. As such, the thought of an everlasting existence was very appealing to them. Further, they didn't have the capacity or education to counter what the "authority figures" of the time told them. "Fight for me, and sit at the right hand of God for eternity as your reward"....

“His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.” Romans 1:20

ya that seems to be a lie suggesting your religion is false

So am I and I don't live in fear, either...

unless your loved ones dress up for halloween or get a blood transfusion

Curious...this question is to the non-believers...what exactly would it take for you to believe there is a God who created all things?

You know that's an excellent question and not one that's easily answered ... I used to think dying would be the best way but perhaps not even that as God may leave you in the grave to rot.

Ultimately it's God's responsibility to prove he exists if he wants me to believe in him. If God really is God, that shouldn't be beyond his capacity.

I would say the best way would be a second coming....assuming that we can pass Asimov's test and distinguish a God from an alien with advanced technology

I'd like to ask you the reverse, what would it take for you to give up any belief in God and embrace Atheism ?

You know that's an excellent question and not one that's easily answered ... I used to think dying would be the best way but perhaps not even that as God may leave you in the grave to rot.

Ultimately it's God's responsibility to prove he exists if he wants me to believe in him. If God really is God, that shouldn't be beyond his capacity.

I would say the best way would be a second coming....assuming that we can pass Asimov's test and distinguish a God from an alien with advanced technology

I'd like to ask you the reverse, what would it take for you to give up any belief in God and embrace Atheism ?

As I said in a previous post...a lobotomy...:2razz:

No, seriously, I don't think there is anything under the sun that could make me a disbeliever...I know too much...through study and personal life experiences...getting to know God takes a lot of effort and for some that's too much trouble, I guess...He forces Himself on no one...we have to go looking for Him in earnest...

As I said in a previous post...a lobotomy...:2razz:

No, seriously, I don't think there is anything under the sun that could make me a disbeliever...I know too much...through study and personal life experiences...getting to know God takes a lot of effort and for some that's too much trouble, I guess...He forces Himself on no one...we have to go looking for Him in earnest...

So an Atheist will admit that there is a chance (however small it may be) that they are wrong and God (or a god/gads) does exist.

However you assert that you cannot possibly be wrong.

When I speak of theists I'm generally speaking about Christians....and they have three theological refuges to retreat into:

1. I JUST KNOW
(put your hands over your eyes and repeat "I believe, I believe, I believe...")

Sorry, unless you're actually going to claim to have spoken directly with God - you do NOT know.

2. GOD OF THE GAPS
When asked for proof that life came about naturally, a biologist will be forced to admit that he/she doesn't know how life started.
Christians will immediately jump and and claim "THEREFORE GOD")

Sorry - God is not the default position.

3. GOD MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS
When presented with a lack of logic in their faith - like why does god create parasites that kill and maim children...he gets no blame. God, it is said, moves in mysterious ways. He has a reason.

Sorry, if you want to give God the acclaim when a child recovers from cancer after a priest/nun/pope prayed over him/her, then you have to explain the other 10 million or so that died.

You just fell back into redoubt #1.

So an Atheist will admit that there is a chance (however small it may be) that they are wrong and God (or a god/gads) does exist.

However you assert that you cannot possibly be wrong.

When I speak of theists I'm generally speaking about Christians....and they have three theological refuges to retreat into:

1. I JUST KNOW
(put your hands over your eyes and repeat "I believe, I believe, I believe...")

Sorry, unless you're actually going to claim to have spoken directly with God - you do NOT know.

2. GOD OF THE GAPS
When asked for proof that life came about naturally, a biologist will be forced to admit that he/she doesn't know how life started.
Christians will immediately jump and and claim "THEREFORE GOD")

Sorry - God is not the default position.

3. GOD MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS
When presented with a lack of logic in their faith - like why does god create parasites that kill and maim children...he gets no blame. God, it is said, moves in mysterious ways. He has a reason.

Sorry, if you want to give God the acclaim when a child recovers from cancer after a priest/nun/pope prayed over him/her, then you have to explain the other 10 million or so that died.

You just fell back into redoubt #1.

One difference, I have not always been a believer...have you always been an atheist?

He could make himself evident in a convincing fashion. There are many ways that could be done without destroying or killing anything.

It's a lot easier to argue for a God/creator than it is to argue that any religion has constructed the correct version of God.

One difference, I have not always been a believer...have you always been an atheist?

Since I was old enough to think about it, yes I have.

What caused you to "believe" ?
Do you have a reason or a source of knowledge that is denied to me ?

Since I was old enough to think about it, yes I have.

What caused you to "believe" ?
Do you have a reason or a source of knowledge that is denied to me ?

lol...I don't think so...grew up in the Baptist church...it just never rang true to me...then when I began studying the Bible with JW's, it all made sense...why we are here, what God's purpose is in creating mankind, why He allows suffering and wickedness...it just all came together for once in my life and I stuck with it...42+ years now...

lol...I don't think so...grew up in the Baptist church...it just never rang true to me...then when I began studying the Bible with JW's, it all made sense...why we are here, what God's purpose is in creating mankind, why He allows suffering and wickedness...it just all came together for once in my life and I stuck with it...42+ years now...

JW = Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Do you believe you're one of the lucky 144,000 ?

Do you believe in the latest end of the world claim ?

JW = Jehovah's Witnesses ?

Do you believe you're one of the lucky 144,000 ?

Do you believe in the latest end of the world claim ?

No, I hope to live right here on paradise earth...the last thing that came about a specific time was about 1975, which was not an end of the world claim...Brother Franz referred to the many questions that had arisen as to whether 1975 was a marked year for Armageddon by saying, "It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that."

Of course some chose to blow the whole 1975 date out of proportion...

No, I hope to live right here on paradise earth...the last thing that came about a specific time was about 1975, which was not an end of the world claim...Brother Franz referred to the many questions that had arisen as to whether 1975 was a marked year for Armageddon by saying, "It could. But we are not saying. All things are possible with God. But we are not saying. And don’t any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975. But the big point of it all is this, dear friends: Time is short. Time is running out, no question about that."

Of course some chose to blow the whole 1975 date out of proportion...

You have nailed your colors to the mast:

"Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society publications have made a series of predictions about Christ's Second Coming and the advent of God's Kingdom, each of which has gone unfulfilled. Almost all the predictions for 1878, 1881, 1914, 1918 and 1925 were later reinterpreted as a confirmation of the eschatological framework of the Bible Student movement and Jehovah's Witnesses, with many of the predicted events viewed as having taken place invisibly. Further expectations were held for the arrival of Armageddon in 1975, but resulted in a later apology to members from the society's leadership...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Society_unfulfilled_predictions

Is there no updated date for the end of the world ?

Are you one of the lucky 144,000 ?

You have nailed your colors to the mast:

"Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society publications have made a series of predictions about Christ's Second Coming and the advent of God's Kingdom, each of which has gone unfulfilled. Almost all the predictions for 1878, 1881, 1914, 1918 and 1925 were later reinterpreted as a confirmation of the eschatological framework of the Bible Student movement and Jehovah's Witnesses, with many of the predicted events viewed as having taken place invisibly. Further expectations were held for the arrival of Armageddon in 1975, but resulted in a later apology to members from the society's leadership...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Society_unfulfilled_predictions

Is there no updated date for the end of the world ?

Are you one of the lucky 144,000 ?

Yeah, that is what wiki says...I have access to all of our publications ever written and they say different...and I was there in '75 so I know different...

Yeah, that is what wiki says...I have access to all of our publications ever written and they say different...

So no apology was ever made following the lack of second coming in 1975 ?

So no apology was ever made following the lack of second coming in 1975 ?

No, because that is nowhere near what was said...Jesus took his throne in 1914, not 1975...

Inteligibility does not require inteligence.

The way rivers flow is understandable, intelligable, but that does not mean that they are making intelligent decisions or choices when the deposit silt in one place and errode another.

Semi-intelligibel is probably the best sumary of this drivel.

An aside regarding the bolded: turbulence has been a huge problem in mathematics. In fact, it's still a huge unsolved problem in physics.

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rsta.2010.0332

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulence#cite_note-eames-quoting-feynman-4

Back
Top Bottom