• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What about the Minority of Christians in Iraq?

Ellie_r

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The decision to pull American troops out of Iraq is a double edged sword for these Christians in Iraq also known as Chaldeans/Assyrians. Chaldeans are Roman Catholics who have lived in Iraq since the beginning of Christianity. But today their situation in that country is desperate.

Theres modern day ethnic cleansing. Chaldeans are being killed for being Chaldean. Ten years ago there were Two million Chaldeans in Iraq, today only two hundred fifty thousand remain and that number is shrinking. They are getting out of Iraq because they live in constant fear of being murdered.

Most of the Chaldean Christians in America at least agree with President Obama's decision to pull troops out of Iraq. But its also factual that that decision could very well come at a price for the minority of Chaldeans left in their ancient homeland.

Im interested to hear others thoughts regarding this topic which is very near and dear to my heart.

Last edited:
Most are occupied with other issues right now, but there is also a politically incorrect element which will get your criticized by the PC police.

Most are occupied with other issues right now, but there is also a politically incorrect element which will get your criticized by the PC police.

Interesting, care to share?

I'm assuming you are referring to the latter. Implicit criticism of Muslims often evokes PC response.

Where have you been, in Iraq?!

I'm assuming you are referring to the latter. Implicit criticism of Muslims often evokes PC response.

Where have you been, in Iraq?!

Not necessarily, I wouldnt state anything that isn't factual. I dont wish to criticize any ethnicity even in an implicit manner.

I haven't set foot on Iraq, but my entire family was born and raised in Baghdad, the capital of Iraq before they moved to the US.

Not necessarily, I wouldnt state anything that isn't factual. I dont wish to criticize any ethnicity even in an implicit manner.

I haven't set foot on Iraq, but my entire family was born and raised in Baghdad, the capital of Iraq before they moved to the US.
That's a good start, but fact and ethnicity have little to do with this. Political Correctness does not concern itself so much with ethnicity, rather religion(especially Muslim, Judaism not so much) is far more protected by PC doctrine than ethnicity.

Last edited:
That's a good start, but fact and ethnicity have little to do with this. Political Correctness does not concern itself so much with ethnicity, rather religion(especially Muslim, Judaism not so much) is far more protected by PC doctrine than ethnicity.

Thats a bit ridiculous. Would you happen to know where i can read more regarding this "political Correctness?"

The crux of the problem with political correctness vis-a-vis Muslims is that it holds Muslims to a lower standard of ethical behavior than Westerners. Ironically, the ostensible defenders of Muslims are treating them as inferior.

Kind of like how liberal educators try to give minority students a boost....by being racist and holding them to a lower standard of achievement.

The decision to pull American troops out of Iraq is a double edged sword for these Christians in Iraq also known as Chaldeans/Assyrians. Chaldeans are Roman Catholics who have lived in Iraq since the beginning of Christianity. But today their situation in that country is desperate.

Theres modern day ethnic cleansing. Chaldeans are being killed for being Chaldean. Ten years ago there were Two million Chaldeans in Iraq, today only two hundred fifty thousand remain and that number is shrinking. They are getting out of Iraq because they live in constant fear of being murdered.

Most of the Chaldean Christians in America at least agree with President Obama's decision to pull troops out of Iraq. But its also factual that that decision could very well come at a price for the minority of Chaldeans left in their ancient homeland.

Im interested to hear others thoughts regarding this topic which is very near and dear to my heart.

This is a serious problem. Tyrant that he was, Saddam basically defended the Christians of Iraq. It's a familiar strategy for unpopular regimes that copies the old colonial playbook: ally with impotent minorities that can't possibly challenge you, but can lend you support and legitimacy. Bush's imbecilic adventures in Iraq have endangered many people, including these Christians that you talk about. It reminds me of when the Israelis pulled out of Lebanon, and the Christians they had been working with were exterminated.

This is a serious problem. Tyrant that he was, Saddam basically defended the Christians of Iraq. It's a familiar strategy for unpopular regimes that copies the old colonial playbook: ally with impotent minorities that can't possibly challenge you, but can lend you support and legitimacy. Bush's imbecilic adventures in Iraq have endangered many people, including these Christians that you talk about. It reminds me of when the Israelis pulled out of Lebanon, and the Christians they had been working with were exterminated.

Pardon me ? where did you get the "Lebanese Christians exterminated" idea ?
I belong to the Lebanese Christian community and I'm doing very well, thank you :roll:

Ethnic cleansing started almost as soon as the Saddam regime was toppled. I don't think any sect/strain was immune. Once law and order has gone into disarray old sectarian grievances surface (very similar to Bosnia in the 90s). The surge in 2007 (which was actually supported by the minority of top Generals) was envisaged, as per counter-insurgency doctrine to last many, many years (it was never intended to be quick fix). Unfortunately, very few governments- if any- have the stomach or resources to carry this through. The cleansing will stop once the dominant players have all they desire.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom