• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What About President Reagan?

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
There are those on the Right who criticize President Obama for going to a fundraiser after the attack on the consulate in Benghazi where 4 Americans including the Ambassador died September 11, 2012. This conservative blogger puts a little perspective on this.

No More Mister Nice Blog

OK, a little perspective: On September 20, 1984, there was a truck-bomb explosion at the U.S. embassy annex in Aukar, Lebanon, just outside Beirut. Twenty-four people were killed. It was third terrorist bombing aimed at U.S. interests in Lebanon in a year and a half.

What did Ronald Reagan do on September 21, 1984? He made three campaign appearances in Iowa -- at an airport rally, a farm, and a church picnic -- despite the fact that a Des Moines Register poll showed him leading Walter Mondale in the state by 23 points.

snip

h/t MMfA

There are those on the Right who criticize President Obama for going to a fundraiser after the attack on the consulate in Benghazi where 4 Americans including the Ambassador died September 11, 2012. This conservative blogger puts a little perspective on this.

No More Mister Nice Blog

OK, a little perspective: On September 20, 1984, there was a truck-bomb explosion at the U.S. embassy annex in Aukar, Lebanon, just outside Beirut. Twenty-four people were killed. It was third terrorist bombing aimed at U.S. interests in Lebanon in a year and a half.

What did Ronald Reagan do on September 21, 1984? He made three campaign appearances in Iowa -- at an airport rally, a farm, and a church picnic -- despite the fact that a Des Moines Register poll showed him leading Walter Mondale in the state by 23 points.

snip

h/t MMfA

Yep. A single bomb explosion is the same thing as a 7 hour moving firefight using small arms, mortars and RPGs. Did Reagan say it was due to movie or that it was an act of terrorism?

Reagan 2020 - Ronald Reagan - Beirut Embassy Bombing

Obama's not providing support to genocides... that's something, right?

I am positive the reason for the number of fundraisers was the Citizens United decision by the Supreme Court.

I am positive the number of fundraiser is because Obama refused the public financing regime in his first campaign so Romney wouldn't commit to it in the second. His chickens came home to roost. He is the one who drove the price of running for POTUS up exponentially.

I think both Reagan and Obama are slightly above average presidents.

Both men left Washington after an attack that left Americans dead, that's what we're talking about.

One helped to abolish the Berlin wall and to disolve the USSR, the other wants to play games with UN approval and lead from behind.

Always fun to watch Obama defenders resort to saying, "Oh yeah well he's no worse than Bush and or Reagan".:lol:

er uh Sawyer, we're not saying he's no worse than Reagan or Bush. We're saying we dont have a problem with it. And to prove our point, we didnt have a problem with it when reagan did it. But not so strangely you only have a problem with it when President Obama does it.

One helped to abolish the Berlin wall and to disolve the USSR, the other wants to play games with UN approval and lead from behind.

Well, now we've seen what someone who specifically wants to look at one in the best possible positive light and one in the best possible negative light would say. That was helpful. Anyone want to weigh in with a comparison of them without that bias?

Well, now we've seen what someone who specifically wants to look at one in the best possible positive light and one in the best possible negative light would say. That was helpful. Anyone want to weigh in with a comparison of them without that bias?

Please enlighten us as to the winner of the nobel peace prize's great foreign policy accomplishemnts (even plans will do).

Please enlighten us as to the winner of the nobel peace prize's great foreign policy accomplishemnts (even plans will do).

Please tell me what any of that has to do with anything I said? You purposefully painted Reagan in the best possible light and purposefully painted Obama in the worst. Who could possibly take that seriously? Why do you think anyone would?

Reagan was a strong anti-communist, but the idea he help bring down the Berlin wall is a right wing myth. George H.W.Bush was president when it happened. The Soviet Union (USSR) failed because of it's economic system. Fighting in Afghanistan precipitated it fall.

Please tell me what any of that has to do with anything I said? You purposefully painted Reagan in the best possible light and purposefully painted Obama in the worst. Who could possibly take that seriously? Why do you think anyone would?

Paint me a different picture then - is that not the line used by the demorats when defending PPACA simply saying that the republicants offer no alternative? If you do not like my opinion then express your own, by showing me Obama's foreign policy accomplishements, to simply poo-poo my opinion is too easy (lazy?) of a debate tactic. ;)

Reagan was a strong anti-communist, but the idea he help bring down the Berlin wall is a right wing myth. George H.W.Bush was president when it happened. The Soviet Union (USSR) failed because of it's economic system. Fighting in Afghanistan precipitated it fall.

Good thing we learned from that mistake and wouldn't try that crazy idea. ;)

Paint me a different picture then - is that not the line used by the demorats when defending PPACA simply saying that the republicants offer no alternative? If you do not like my opinion then express your own, by showing me Obama's foreign policy accomplishements, to simply poo-poo my opinion is too easy (lazy?) of a debate tactic. ;)

Shhhhhh. No one listens to partisan zealots.

No More Mister Nice Blog

snip

h/t MMfA

Ran out of Bush stuff,huh?

Then that explains your reluctance to offer up Obama's many foreign policy achievements. ;)

I'm sure it does.

Anyway, yeah. Both Reagan and Obama are above average. Not by much, but it's true.

1. Truck bombs in Lebanon are common events.
2. This is not the same as an embassy being over-run in a tactical assault.
3. There is no way to stop a truck bomb occuring outside an embassy.
4. There was no security breach.
5. There was no need or attempt to muster combat troops to the scene.
6. Were any Americans killed?
7. Was the ambassador killed?
8. Were security forces killed while waiting for reinforcements or air support?

False equivalence.

Back
Top Bottom