• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What’s going on? Another Fox News host calls for assault weapon ban after...[W:234]

Glen Contrarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, he
Political Leaning
Progressive
From Raw Story:

Something is definitely going on over at Fox News — where two hosts have come out in favor of gun control laws.

Gretchen Carlson surprised viewers Tuesday afternoon by calling on lawmakers to reinstate a ban on weapons like the AR-15 that a gunman used to murder 49 people and wound 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Later that evening, Bill O’Reilly cast some blame on conservatives for the domestic terror attack and hate crime, which he said might have been prevented or lessened if the killer hadn’t been able to buy the weapons he used.

“There is too much gun crime in the USA, and high powered weaponry is too easy to get,” O’Reilly said. “That’s the fact. So let’s deal with it. We all have the right to bear arms, but we don’t have the right to buy and maintain mortars — even if you feel threatened by gangsters or a New World Order. No bazookas, no Sherman tanks, no hand grenades. That’s because the Second Amendment clearly states the government has a right to regulate militias, made up of individuals. They have that right in the name of public safety.”

Re: WHOA! Finally, a couple Fox News pundits open the door to gun control!

O'Reilly is an idiot. The word regulate in the second amendment means to keep regular. You don't keep the militia regular by disarming them.

From Raw Story:

Something is definitely going on over at Fox News — where two hosts have come out in favor of gun control laws.

Gretchen Carlson surprised viewers Tuesday afternoon by calling on lawmakers to reinstate a ban on weapons like the AR-15 that a gunman used to murder 49 people and wound 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Later that evening, Bill O’Reilly cast some blame on conservatives for the domestic terror attack and hate crime, which he said might have been prevented or lessened if the killer hadn’t been able to buy the weapons he used.

“There is too much gun crime in the USA, and high powered weaponry is too easy to get,” O’Reilly said. “That’s the fact. So let’s deal with it. We all have the right to bear arms, but we don’t have the right to buy and maintain mortars — even if you feel threatened by gangsters or a New World Order. No bazookas, no Sherman tanks, no hand grenades. That’s because the Second Amendment clearly states the government has a right to regulate militias, made up of individuals. They have that right in the name of public safety.”

Gosh. It's almost as if those were also two of the three spokespersons for FOX who have been most busy at night soft-pitching a big-government liberal for POTUS....

New York Liberals Turn Out To Be New York Liberals. Details at 11.

From Raw Story:

This is encouraging. Thank for the update.

O'Reilly is an idiot. The word regulate in the second amendment means to keep regular. You don't keep the militia regular by disarming them.

No one is getting "disarmed" since "disarming" means taking away all firearms. And how about this - let's either require all American citizens to be part of the militia...or agree that the time of the militia (and as a result, the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2A) is long past, and that the necessity of such is long gone, too.

Right. It takes fiber.

:)

Gosh. It's almost as if those were also two of the three spokespersons for FOX who have been most busy at night soft-pitching a big-government liberal for POTUS....

New York Liberals Turn Out To Be New York Liberals. Details at 11.

And the above comment was brought to you by the New Conservatives, whose first commandment is "Thou shalt strictly toe the hardcore-conservative line, for whosoever even hints at a position that isn't in strict accordance with hardcore-conservative dogma, that person shall be declared a heretic, an apostate, and a godless liberal!"

From Raw Story:

Bill O Reilly is an idiot, it is in fact perfectly legal to buy most of the devices he mentioned

WHAT "militia"? Tell you what - I'll agree that your personal interpretation of the 2A applies to everyone who is part of an organized and registered militia, if you'll agree that my interpretation of sensible gun control applies to everyone who is NOT part of an organized and registered militia!

No one is getting "disarmed" since "disarming" means taking away all firearms. And how about this - let's either require all American citizens to be part of the militia...or agree that the time of the militia (and as a result, the "shall not be infringed" part of the 2A) is long past, and that the necessity of such is long gone, too.

Sure , I'm down for that, every amercan should be required to own an M-16 and report for drill every Sunday.

From Raw Story:

This behavior puzzles me concerning banners. An AR 15 was not used by the Orlando terrorist, yet that is the weapon the banners want to ban in the aftermath. Even if a ban on AR 15's were in place, it would not stop the terrorist from getting and using the gun he actually used. There is real danger in these knee jerk reactions.

Bill has always had a thing for gun control. Nothing new to see here.

WHAT "militia"? Tell you what - I'll agree that your personal interpretation of the 2A applies to everyone who is part of an organized and registered militia, if you'll agree that my interpretation of sensible gun control applies to everyone who is NOT part of an organized and registered militia!

The words organized and registered do not appear in the second amendment, only militia. An intentional obfuscation since you are probably aware federal law defines militia as all able bodies makes 17 to 45

Sure , I'm down for that, every amercan should be required to own an M-16 and report for drill every Sunday.

Riiiiiiight. I can just see how the right-wing gun nut would react to the Muslim standing next to him in line armed with an M-16....

O’Reilly said. “That’s the fact. So let’s deal with it. We all have the right to bear arms, but we don’t have the right to buy and maintain mortars — even if you feel threatened by gangsters or a New World Order. No bazookas, no Sherman tanks, no hand grenades. That’s because the Second Amendment clearly states the government has a right to regulate militias, made up of individuals. They have that right in the name of public safety.”[/I]

O'Reilley is an idiot for repeating what is an idiotic argument. None of these were used in the Orlando massacre.

Riiiiiiight. I can just see how the right-wing gun nut would react to the Muslim standing next to him in line armed with an M-16....

But it wouldn't just be rght wing gun nuts and Moslems at drill. And you make the assumption that boy right wingers support gun rights, which is not correct.

From Raw Story:

"Assault weapons" were never banned.
I guess that's what you get for listening to people on TV though.

And the above comment was brought to you by the New Conservatives, whose first commandment is "Thou shalt strictly toe the hardcore-conservative line, for whosoever even hints at a position that isn't in strict accordance with hardcore-conservative dogma, that person shall be declared a heretic, an apostate, and a godless liberal!"

.....no. But if you are liberal on an issue, or instinctively pro-growing-government, then that's what you are.

Well, I used to trade MRE parts with them. Loved that pork, and they couldn't have it - winner winner piggy dinner. :)

This behavior puzzles me concerning banners. An AR 15 was not used by the Orlando terrorist, yet that is the weapon the banners want to ban in the aftermath.

I'm torn on the degree to which I think all this is misinformed v how much is just virtue-signaling.

I never realized that O'Reilly said that?

I watched that segment on The Factor and no where did I hear anything about doing away with the 2nd amendment. He said some types of assault weapons have no place in our society. In fact he said that Americans have every right to own guns.

Get your facts straight...

Bill O Reilly is an idiot, it is in fact perfectly legal to buy most of the devices he mentioned

Agreed..it is legal to buy most guns...but if you mean things like rocket launchers or hand grenades you are wrong. A person even has to have a permit to buy TNT.

To be fair, he never called for disarming. Bill is in the gun control-lite camp. He has always supported increased background checks, limits on "bazooka" ownership, and "reasonable" gun laws. It would be a bit much for a man that surrounds himself with armed body guards to call for disarming anyone.

Back
Top Bottom