• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

WH has a hard time getting people to spell correctly?

Seriously, I can't spell worth a ****.
There are better, more important things to criticize I think.

Thank goodness for Mozilla spell check.
as much as i would want to downplay the significance, it's troubling that the office of the President of the USA takes so little effort when making its official posts
there is at least one person receiving a salary in excess of $100,000 per year who failed to run that thru spell check before allowing it to be posted on the internet
i expect more from Obama's office

*and yes, my spelling is terrible; on this forum and elsewhere. but my misspelled posts are not the official positions of the most powerful individual in the world*

My spelling is impeccable, but I don't think anyone wants me running the country.
Spelling is about two things, IMO:

1. Visual memory. I have no need of spell-check, because if I've ever seen a word in print before, I will never forget how it is spelled, and if I spell it wrong, I'll recognize immediately that it doesn't look right, and correct it.

2. Phonics. If you were taught to read, write, and spell mostly by rote memorization, you'll probably always have trouble spelling; English is an idiosyncratic language, without hard and fast rules.
People who learn to read and write with phonics seem to be better spellers; at least that's been my observation.

While good grammar and spelling and a broad vocabulary are all nifty skills to have in one's toolkit, they don't qualify one for high political office, nor- by the same token- does not having these skills necessarily disqualify one.

Last edited:
as much as i would want to downplay the significance, it's troubling that the office of the President of the USA takes so little effort when making its official posts
there is at least one person receiving a salary in excess of $100,000 per year who failed to run that thru spell check before allowing it to be posted on the internet

*and yes, my spelling is terrible; on this forum and elsewhere. but my misspelled posts are not the official positions of the most powerful individual in the world*

Come on, incredibly intelligent people do have misgivings with spelling.

For further reference see me. :2razz:

sarah ... is that you?

awhellnahobama-1.jpg

So what we have learned is apparently computers in the WH do not have spell check.

Well stated. Really at Federal, State, or Local level errors like these for the most part are totally avoidable and borderline unforgivable. Nothing to do with partisanship. When published material has grammatical errors it diminishes/discredits the message and reflects poorly on whoever the author happens to be.

Verbal errors are tough enough to avoid. Errors in published/written materials just should not happen.

When published material has grammatical errors it diminishes/discredits the message and reflects poorly on whoever the author happens to be.
That is what I think whenever a blogger or print journalist misspells the name of the South American nation of Colombia. In case you haven't noticed, there is no letter "U" in that nation's name; yet bloggers and print journalists are constantly misspelling that name.

By the way, didn't the Democrat contender for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat get into trouble because her Senate campaign misspelled the name of the state of Massachusetts? Perhaps members of that person's campaign staff now work in the White House.

That is what I think whenever a blogger or print journalist misspells the name of the South American nation of Colombia. In case you haven't noticed, there is no letter "U" in that nation's name; yet bloggers and print journalists are constantly misspelling that name.

By the way, didn't the Democrat contender for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat get into trouble because her Senate campaign misspelled the name of the state of Massachusetts? Perhaps members of that person's campaign staff now work in the White House.

Genuinely too funny of a point. I spent my maturity years (age 19 thru 30) in Columbia, Missouri. (go Mizzou!!!) Whenever someone makes the "Colombia" mistake, we are certainly in the camp that first notices that error..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom