• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Westworld - HBO style

I have a love-hate thing going with Michael Crichton. In his books, he (mostly) comes up with strong premises like Jurassic Park, and then has cheap punch-out endings.

Presumably, someone else wrote the ending to this, so I'll give it a shot. The original was just robots mixed with humans in reality, so this apparent VR\Matrix angle will be interesting.

He deserves credit, though. Westworld was the first movie to push the notion of computer program gone wrong, a solid decade before Terminator or War Games.

I hold Westworld in special regard because it's to this day the only screenplay I've ever read. Didn't know know that's what it was when I got it at a yard sale.

I watched the original Westworld movie with Yul Brynner as a kid on VHS and I liked it. I'll definitely check this one out but I'll be binging it. Judging from the preview it looks like they're gonna Philip K Dick it.

This dark-side-of-tech or computers-gone-wrong thing has been done to death. Back when the original Westworld did it, it was original back then, but now it's jumped the shark.

And I remember after Westworld came out, then there was the made-for-TV show 'Beyond Westworld' - I actually still remember the theme music:

We will eventually be losing Game Of Thrones, so this looks like a new fun thing to focus on once GOT is over.

Bah, didn't we get enough of this stuff with Caprica? We need something different.

Great first episode, has a potential to be a nearly GoT-level success.

It's on my 'to-watch' list.

the second episode was a lot better. could easily see myself getting hooked.

Yeah the second episode was quite awesome, I think I'm already hooked.

Just saw the first episode. It was riveting and we're already hooked.

Which probably wasn't too high a bar to reach, seeing as we've been trying to slog through Luke Cage with little success.

The first two episodes have been really good far. They actually inspired me to look up the old movie and give it a watch.

I'll be interested to see where this winds up going in relation to that film. They've already introduced the two "friends" on vacation.

Could Ed Harris' character be a twist on the "gunslinger" from the original? Is he actually human, or does he simply think he is?

I also thought it was kind of an interesting (sadistic) touch to make the blonde such a bubbly and innocent personality, when her whole purpose...

Is basically to watch her family and boyfriend get murdered, so she can subsequently get horribly raped by any "guest" with that fetish. Yeesh.

I never watched the original and probably won't while this series is on. I'm really enjoying it.

The first two episodes have been really good far. They actually inspired me to look up the old movie and give it a watch.

I'll be interested to see where this winds up going in relation to that film. They've already introduced the two "friends" on vacation.

Could Ed Harris' character be a twist on the "gunslinger" from the original? Is he actually human, or does he simply think he is?

I also thought it was kind of an interesting (sadistic) touch to make the blonde such a bubbly and innocent personality, when her whole purpose...

Is basically to watch her family and boyfriend get murdered, so she can subsequently get horribly raped by any "guest" with that fetish. Yeesh.

They did refer to Ed Harris character as a guest in the last episode.

They did refer to Ed Harris character as a guest in the last episode.

True, but they've also alluded to management having ulterior motives. He could be some sort of crazy experiment.

I could see it being a twist somewhere down the road, is all I'm saying. Lol

True, but they've also alluded to management having ulterior motives. He could be some sort of crazy experiment.

I could see it being a twist somewhere down the road, is all I'm saying. Lol

Would be pretty fantastic, he's easily my favourite character so far.

It is slower than what some may be used to. But after 4 episodes, I find it overall amazing.

A number of interesting plot lines going, interesting characters, I like the actors, some tough cool women, some nerdy guys, and of course Hopkins and Harris.

Comparing this to Caprica...I don't get it. I found Caprica to be forgettable I had to look it up, and groaned an "oh yeah" when I recalled what it was. So if Caprica was intended to scratch any particular itch, I don't consider it scratched personally.

This show feels very adult (30+) in tone and composition (whatever the **** that means! :p ) I saw the original movie Westwood many years ago, but mercifully don't recall much of it. I couldn't stop watching, saw all 4 starting last night. Glad the rest are not accessible to me yet.

Back
Top Bottom