• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

West Virginians back Joe Manchin's opposition to Build Back Better

anatta

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

"I absolutely support him," one woman told Fox News. "Nothing in that bill was going to help West Virginia. In fact, it would cost us jobs, for which we, of course, would be paying as taxpayers."
One West Virginia resident told Fox News: "I support Joe Manchin 120%." She said she was glad Manchin was "not backing down to Biden because West Virginia is suffering for Biden's choices."

Another West Virginia local told Fox News: "I'm praising him."

"I absolutely support him," one woman told Fox News. "Nothing in that bill was going to help West Virginia. In fact, it would cost us jobs, for which we, of course, would be paying as taxpayers."
One West Virginia resident told Fox News: "I support Joe Manchin 120%." She said she was glad Manchin was "not backing down to Biden because West Virginia is suffering for Biden's choices."

The sampling size of this on the street polling is rather small. I don't think it showed any negative comments about Manchin. Can't put any credibility to this. Still, one would think that Manchin has a finger on the pulse of what his constituents want. It would be political suicide for him to stand opposed to what they want out of their government representatives.

That's weird. I thought every single W. Virginian down to the family cat supported Biden's infastructure plan.

Is it true what the super informed cherry picked lady said? Their is not a single thing in the entire plan that will help W. Virginia?

Could you possibly have a more bias source than fox and fox viewers? Did you know trump was the most honest president we've ever had and fox is fair and balanced, they'll tell you so themselves.

Getting away from the FOX bubble....

Guardian is the worst of the worse. Look at this silliness- it's laughable
But according to the survey, 80% of more than 800 people surveyed in his home state believe he should vote to pass the bill.
That includes 77% of conservatives who responded to the survey.

I think it's funny that the raving Democrat elitists are using the slash and burn attacks on the constituents of Manchin hoping to force Manchin to heel.

Yeah. That ought to work. ;)

If you REALLY want to make a person listen to you, start by calling that person and those they love toothless morons with no rationality no brains.

Brilliant, AOC. Just brilliant!

WOW!!! Apparently west Virginia needs to spend some money on education too.

And your FOX is credible right? Lol. That bastion of disinformation and outright lies?

you make these overbroad off tangent accusations. .
I read your link. saw that garbage about 77 of cons in WV supporting BBB and trashed the Guardian for it.
You revert to 1/6 which is so damned politicized nothing is at face value, and is off OP topic

Senator Manchin thanks for standing up not just for West Virginia but the entire nation. No matter the slime they throw at you, you did not bend.

Could you possibly have a more bias source than fox and fox viewers? Did you know trump was the most honest president we've ever had and fox is fair and balanced, they'll tell you so themselves.
Maybe use the Guardian. Such a fine paper. 🤔

Next to Oklahoma, West Virginia comes in at the top of the stupidest state contest----every year....

Well, obviously not THESE West Virginians:

"Among the parts of the Build Back Better Act that Roberts highlighted were benefits for miners suffering from black lung. There’s currently a federal fund that provides those benefits, paid for by a fee on coal companies. The disease is prevalent for thousands of miners across Appalachia, a side effect of inhaling coal dust on the job. An increasing number of miners are dying from it, pointing to the urgent need for benefits to help them deal with the respiratory issue before it becomes fatal.

Yet with Manchin’s “no” on the act, the fees coal companies have paid into the Black Lung Disability Trust Fund are set to end this year. The act would’ve extended them in 2025. Federal data shows the fund doled out nearly $41 million to black lung sufferers in West Virginia in 2020, nearly a quarter of all funds dispersed in the U.S.

Roberts also noted the bill had provisions to “provide tax incentives to encourage manufacturers to build facilities in the coalfields that would employ thousands of coal miners who have lost their jobs. We support that and are ready to help supply those plants with a trained, professional workforce.” And it also included language that would fine employers for union-busting, which UMWA also supported. (Given mining unions’ long, bloody history at the hands of owners and present fights, that makes a lot of sense.)

One of Manchin’s primary arguments against the act was that he didn’t know how to pitch it at home. But UMWA’s statement is tailormade to a state that has relied heavily on the coal industry for its economy and identity. (There are other benefits Manchin could’ve easily picked out, like giving people with kids money to, uh, buy food, but I digress.)

Instead, Manchin appears to have sided with the bosses for now; he’s a top campaign recipient of money from the coal, mining, oil and gas extraction, and gas transmission and distribution industries and comes in third with utilities. The owners in those industries have opposed Build Back Better because it would curtail their profits. But the new UMWA statement shows that workers, at least, are ready to be at the table of the energy transition."

"Among the parts of the Build Back Better Act that Roberts highlighted were benefits for miners suffering from black lung. There’s currently a federal fund that provides those benefits, paid for by a fee on coal companies. The disease is prevalent for thousands of miners across Appalachia, a side effect of inhaling coal dust on the job. An increasing number of miners are dying from it, pointing to the urgent need for benefits to help them deal with the respiratory issue before it becomes fatal.

Yet with Manchin’s “no” on the act, the fees coal companies have paid into the Black Lung Disability Trust Fund are set to end this year. The act would’ve extended them in 2025. Federal data shows the fund doled out nearly $41 million to black lung sufferers in West Virginia in 2020, nearly a quarter of all funds dispersed in the U.S.
Why would not passing the BBB threaten private funding dispersed thru SSA as a trust fund to beneficiaries?
The benefit are authorized out of Woodlawn Maryland just like Disability benefits -except these are employer contribution
The money must be there and still being contributed to by coal companies

Black Lung disease is not "increasing" it's been around as long as coal mining

WOW!!! Apparently west Virginia needs to spend some money on education too.

Because they oppose the theft and corruption represented by the BBB fiasco?

That's weird. I thought every single W. Virginian down to the family cat supported Biden's infastructure plan.

Is it true what the super informed cherry picked lady said? Their is not a single thing in the entire plan that will help W. Virginia?

There's probably a LOT in that bill that would help West Virginians, but people vote against their own interests all the time, sometimes knowingly. Something we -- wonky, bookish liberals, especially -- tend to lose sight of the fact that voting is often as much an expression of tribal identity and solidarity as it is supporting or opposing a specific policy on the merits.

The sampling size of this on the street polling is rather small. I don't think it showed any negative comments about Manchin. Can't put any credibility to this. Still, one would think that Manchin has a finger on the pulse of what his constituents want. It would be political suicide for him to stand opposed to what they want out of their government representatives.
Nah. They'll still vote for him when he turns republican.

Senator Manchin thanks for standing up not just for West Virginia but the entire nation. No matter the slime they throw at you, you did not bend.
It wasn't the slime.

It was all that sweet dark money.

What theft and corruption?

There are many, many boondoggles contained in every bit of legislation that is voted on in our Congress and the lying thieves strive to hide them and exploit them for personal gain.

In this one, given the size and scope, we may assume that there is more than the average one.

One piece of deception is the way that the cost(s) and the payments are calculated. Counting one year of cost and ten years of payment is insane.

The lying thieves do this all the time. Proof? The increase in spending as a percent of the actual comparing 1999 to 2020 is easily measured.

The Federal Government outlays in 2020 were about 400 times greater thant he outlays of the median household in the US comparing the same two years.

I find it interesting that there are people who defend this sort of theft. Are you one of them?

Back
Top Bottom