• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

West Point won’t punish cadets in raised-fist photo[W:301]

JoeTrumps

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CiJDTfqXAAAatPY.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/u...ist-photo.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Wow. The bowing to the left continues.

It is against regulations to engage in political activity while in your dress uniform. Period.

The Superintendent of the Academy reviews the circumstances and concluded that it was all an innocent prank with no political overtones, and merely represented a sense of "unity". yeah......right

Nothing like a good double standard in order to keep things politically correct. We must ignore the obvious; look at a picture and ignore basic rational thinking. That's what the nation has become.

Last edited:
Re: West Point won’t punish cadets in raised-fist photo

View attachment 67201284

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/u...ist-photo.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

It is against regulations to engage in political activity while in your dress uniform. Period.

Nothing like a good double standard in order to keep things politically correct. We must ignore the obvious; look at a picture and ignore basic rational thinking. That's what the nation has become.

Why? According to the investigator:
“I find that, based upon available evidence, none of the participants, through their actions, intended to show support for a political movement,” said the investigator, whose name was redacted in a public copy of the inquiry finding released by West Point.

If thats the standard why should they be dismissed? A reprimand seems appropriate.

Why? According to the investigator:

If thats the standard why should they be dismissed? A reprimand seems appropriate.

Of course to some dimwits gay pride parades were never political either. Had these people all identified as white as they all identify as nonwhite everything would be different.

SAD.

Of course to some dimwits gay pride parades were never political either. Had these people all identified as white as they all identify as nonwhite everything would be different.

SAD.

What? What is wrong with the military investigators conclusion? Why would we be reacting differently if white cadets gave a raised fist salute?

View attachment 67201284

The Superintendent of the Academy reviews the circumstances and concluded that it was all an innocent prank with no political overtones, and merely represented a sense of "unity". yeah......right

I'm sure you know better than, yanno, the Superintendent of West Point.

What? What is wrong with the military investigators conclusion? Why would we be reacting differently if white cadets gave a raised fist salute?

What is wrong with it is it defies common sense. If you claim not to know the answer to your second question my sense is you are not being intellectually honest.

I do care just enough about this topic to post in here how much I don't care.

That is all...

What is wrong with it is it defies common sense. If you claim not to know the answer to your second question my sense is you are not being intellectually honest.
No political group owns the raised fist salute. It only has significance if the people raising the fist intended to deliver a "partisan political" message. As the OP article stated, cadets of different races have used the fist salute at football games and elsewhere for non political purposes. Since West Point can't prove a political motive, the picture does not violate the school's non partisan rules. That is "common sense."

View attachment 67201284

What specifically is the political activity?

Are they saying "yay women"? Are they New Black Panthers? Are they protesting Trump? What exactly does a raised fist mean....other than "**** yeah, we did it!" ?

Or is this one of those really stupid things we're stupid just to assume for purposes of the hopelessly stupid rant?

:smileyfart

Ahh...

SAD.

Who doesn't realize that gay pride parades were about getting equal protection of the law for and ending societal bigotry against gay people? Are there those people (bolded)?

If I were the investigator... my first thought would be a symbol of the Black Power movement of the 60's. A reference to Black Lives Matter did not pop into my head, though, maybe it should have. Different generations, I guess.

But that first though would have generated two more.

First - was that what there were intending? I've seen the raised fist salute used in enough different situations and contexts that I would have to ask. So the investigator asked them, and his conclusion was, 'apparently not'. He seems to have concluded that it was more of a generalized symbol of solidarity. With overtones of female solidarity, and black solidarity. Enough ambiguity to label the foto 'inappropriate', but not rising to the level of supporting any specific political movement. The fact that some here are so adamantly set on their own interpretation - without having been part of the investigation, nor privy to the full report - tells me that their 'conclusions' are simple ideological cant.

Second - if it had been intended as a Black Power salute... would THAT rise to the level of supporting a particular political movement? That question seems more arguable. Or it would have been, if the graduates had given a different answer.

View attachment 67201284

Look, I agree, it looks like a black panther shout out. However the investigator was unable to make that connection. It is over. GG.

I'm sure you know better than, yanno, the Superintendent of West Point.

It violates Army Regulation, because they were in uniform. The PC double standard is being applied.

If I were the investigator... my first thought would be a symbol of the Black Power movement of the 60's. A reference to Black Lives Matter did not pop into my head, though, maybe it should have. Different generations, I guess.

But that first though would have generated two more.

First - was that what there were intending? I've seen the raised fist salute used in enough different situations and contexts that I would have to ask. So the investigator asked them, and his conclusion was, 'apparently not'. He seems to have concluded that it was more of a generalized symbol of solidarity. With overtones of female solidarity, and black solidarity. Enough ambiguity to label the foto 'inappropriate', but not rising to the level of supporting any specific political movement. The fact that some here are so adamantly set on their own interpretation - without having been part of the investigation, nor privy to the full report - tells me that their 'conclusions' are simple ideological cant.

Second - if it had been intended as a Black Power salute... would THAT rise to the level of supporting a particular political movement? That question seems more arguable. Or it would have been, if the graduates had given a different answer.

More than that, it would be supporting a banned orginization, while in uniform.

More than that, it would be supporting a banned orginization, while in uniform.

I suppose I'll regret this... but: 'banned organization'?

View attachment 67201284

So what punishment do you propose?

What fuels the right's epidemic of imbecility and perversity is its desire to be something and its antithesis at the same time. It'd do right by itself to alleviate its dissonance and learn from Trump, as his success hinges on him being an unabashed racist. Only then will we see this masquerade coming to an end.

What fuels the right's epidemic of imbecility and perversity is its desire to be something and its antithesis at the same time. It'd do right by itself to alleviate its dissonance and learn from Trump, as his success hinges on him being an unabashed racist. Only then will we see this masquerade coming to an end.

Awful lot of pretty words wasted on a wrong conclusion.

Look, I agree, it looks like a black panther shout out. However the investigator was unable to make that connection. It is over. GG.
Then the "investigator" blew it. Me thinks the bar would be higher if it were a group of white cadets giving a "white power" salute.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Then the "investigator" blew it. Me thinks the bar would be higher if it were a group of white cadets giving a "white power" salute.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

You're trying really hard to make black power have the same meaning as white power.

Here, I'll give you a hint: If this were a group of white cadets showing pride in their Irish/British/Italian/Nordic etc. heritage. NOBODY would flinch. However, you have a problem because you seem to think that white power and black power have the same meaning only on different sides of the racial spectrum. They really don't and they are not opposites. Get use to it. The KKK, the Nazis, Aryan Nation, etc. they've all ****ed up the meaning of "white power" on a global scale. If it (white power) wasn't attached to all of these groups, I doubt there'd be a problem. Blame the white people who did that; not some non-existent double standard internet trolls on Stormfront made up.

Here, let's test your dishonesty. Please tell us all how this guy:

smiff_2274278b.jpg

Is just as racist as this guy:

breivik-nazi.jpg

I can wait. I love hearing these original arguments. Hell, if you don't like my example, please find one where a person is espousing "white power" and they're not aligned with some racist movement of some sort. You can't and won't because there is no such thing as 'white power'. There has never been a need for it in any meaningful political context. British power? Sure. German power? Sure. But 'white power'? It's meaningless. It's made up by angry white men who felt like they got the ****ty end of the stick. It's not about solidarity with large masses oppressed whites. In a nutshell, it's about solidarity with a small minority of whites who feel they got the ****ty end of the stick because minorities can vote.... and you know, own houses in nice neighborhoods.

Black power on the other hand has shifted meanings and definitions depending on the people advocating it. To some it has been a channel to disseminate racism; for others it has simply been a statement of solidarity with other blacks around the world with no racism involved at all (See: images I posted).

Now, bring up all of those white nationalist groups you feel aren't racist.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. :lol:

Last edited:

I suppose I'll regret this... but: 'banned organization'?

Criminal gangs. Racist hate groups. Crips, bloods, KKK, black panthers, etc

You're trying really hard to make black power have the same meaning as white power.

Here, I'll give you a hint: If this were a group of white cadets showing pride in their Irish/British/Italian/Nordic etc. heritage. NOBODY would flinch. However, you have a problem because you seem to think that white power and black power have the same meaning only on different sides of the racial spectrum. They really don't and they are not opposites. Get use to it. The KKK, the Nazis, Aryan Nation, etc. they've all ****ed up the meaning of "white power" on a global scale. If it (white power) wasn't attached to all of these groups, I doubt there'd be a problem. Blame the white people who did that; not some non-existent double standard internet trolls on Stormfront made up.

Here, let's test your dishonesty. Please tell us all how this guy:

smiff_2274278b.jpg

Is just as racist as this guy:

breivik-nazi.jpg

I can wait. I love hearing these original arguments. Hell, if you don't like my example, please find one where a person is espousing "white power" and they're not aligned with some racist movement of some sort. You can't and won't because there is no such thing as 'white power'. There has never been a need for it in any meaningful political context. British power? Sure. German power? Sure. But 'white power'? It's meaningless. It's made up by angry white men who felt like they got the ****ty end of the stick. It's not about solidarity with large masses oppressed whites. In a nutshell, it's about solidarity with a small minority of whites who feel they got the ****ty end of the stick because minorities can vote.... and you know, own houses in nice neighborhoods.

Black power on the other hand has shifted meanings and definitions depending on the people advocating it. To some it has been a channel to disseminate racism; for others it has simply been a statement of solidarity with other blacks around the world with no racism involved at all (See: images I posted).

Now, bring up all of those white nationalist groups you feel aren't racist.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. :lol:

But, if it were white cadets throwing white power signs they would be home before dark.

Such pictures of graduating friends there are traditional. You usually take a serious pose and then a more laid back "I'm cool as sh!t" pose. More importantly, the photo was meant for friends and family and not to go this public so intent matters. It was innocuous and I am glad they won't suffer any serious consequences.

Such pictures of graduating friends there are traditional. You usually take a serious pose and then a more laid back "I'm cool as sh!t" pose. More importantly, the photo was meant for friends and family and not to go this public so intent matters. It was innocuous and I am glad they won't suffer any serious consequences.

These young ladies are going to be serving officers in The United States Army. They're expected to meet a higher standard.

But, if it were white cadets throwing white power signs they would be home before dark.

If you seriously can't tell the difference between the two signs then you need to read some history.

Back
Top Bottom