• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

West Point won’t punish cadets in raised-fist photo[W:301]

Re: West Point won’t punish cadets in raised-fist photo

I would not trust any one of them on a nuclear submarine.

Black power is racist. Why do you hate white people?

Wait, before you answer the previous post, lmao how could I possible 'hate' white people when half my family is white? Hell, most of the people I'm on good terms with on this forum are white. Except.... well, a few. :lol:

View attachment 67201284

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/u...ist-photo.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Wow. The bowing to the left continues.

It is against regulations to engage in political activity while in your dress uniform. Period.

The Superintendent of the Academy reviews the circumstances and concluded that it was all an innocent prank with no political overtones, and merely represented a sense of "unity". yeah......right

Nothing like a good double standard in order to keep things politically correct. We must ignore the obvious; look at a picture and ignore basic rational thinking. That's what the nation has become.

I see the message a bit differently.

To be a cadet at West Point is a remarkable achievement given the academic requirements, etc..

I do think the picture has some elements of race and politics, but it's a good message.

To me these remarkable black female cadets are showing the real power that others should aspire to. I see the message as a push back against the stereotypes members of their own communities buy into, and a signal that focus and commitment can lead people to remarkable opportunities and achievement.

To be a cadet at West Point is a remarkable achievement given the academic requirements, etc..

I do think the picture has some elements of race and politics, but it's a good message.

To me these remarkable black female cadets are showing the real power that others should aspire to. I see the message as a push back against the stereotypes members of their own communities buy into, and a signal that focus and commitment can lead people to remarkable opportunities and achievement.

Black women about to become Army officers have a right to feel triumphant.
They maybe shouldn't have circulated the picture but I'm sure that was explained to them. Sounds to me like the matter was handled well.

Let it be known, that the poster named apdst wants us all to believe these things:

1. That these allegedly racist women decided that they would become subservient (and let's face, it, that's what you are when you're a cadet) to a structure run primarily by white male officers.
2. That these allegedly racist women would spend X number of years of their lives being taught and disciplined by a faculty that is primarily white.
3. That they managed to somehow suppress their alleged racism so well that at no point were they singled out for conduct unwelcomed at West Point.

Oh, and last but not least, that Tommie Smith and John Carlos, who trained white athletes, competed alongside white athletes, and helped promote positive racial relations for 3 decades are racists.

Again, apdst, you're not even trying to make sense.

:lol:

I never thought about this while reading about the issue like a week ago. Good post.

Then the "investigator" blew it. Me thinks the bar would be higher if it were a group of white cadets giving a "white power" salute.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Being that I have done these investigations myself, I understand how you can feel that way. If the evidence isn't there, you can't make the case. Also, the investigators are not detectives, just a run of the mill officer. He needs solid evidence. Not a guess.

That being said, I totally understand your feelings on that. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

Totally wrong, IMO. The "Black Power" salute is reserved for black people, much like the "n" word. It is a salute that means "I'm not one of you, I'm one of my own."

As far as I'm concerned, the patriotism of these cadets is suspect and should properly cast suspicion on them as to their likely action when push comes to shove against a foreign power.

We have this version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist
The raised fist (also known as the clenched fist) is a symbol of solidarity and support. It is also used as a salute to express unity, strength, defiance, or resistance. The salute dates back to ancient Assyria as a symbol of resistance in the face of violence.

And we have this version:
The Communist Pedigree of the Clenched-fist Salute » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Riots, protests, demonstrations, rallies; pick the issue — police brutality, racism, Occupy Wall Street, oil and gas fracking, minimum-wage legislation, education funding, etc. — it’s a sure bet a certain symbol will be ever-present.

The bottom line is they must forever be closely supervised because they have shown their loyalty to be somewhere between one or the other of these two examples, and we can never be sure which one.

And for the record, like the bathroom fiasco, I have no doubt Obama put them up to it to stir the pot.

Totally wrong, IMO. The "Black Power" salute is reserved for black people, much like the "n" word. It is a salute that means "I'm not one of you, I'm one of my own."

As far as I'm concerned, the patriotism of these cadets is suspect and should properly cast suspicion on them as to their likely action when push comes to shove against a foreign power.

We have this version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist

And we have this version:
The Communist Pedigree of the Clenched-fist Salute » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

The bottom line is they must forever be closely supervised because they have shown their loyalty to be somewhere between one or the other of these two examples, and we can never be sure which one.

And for the record, like the bathroom fiasco, I have no doubt Obama put them up to it to stir the pot.

Yeah. When war breaks out with the People's Democratic Republic of Assyria I'm sure they'll be itching to defect :roll:

Yeah. When war breaks out with the People's Democratic Republic of Assyria I'm sure they'll be itching to defect :roll:

More than likely, their racist tendencies may undermine discipline in their units.

More than likely, their racist tendencies may undermine discipline in their units.

Well, it appears the Army disagrees with you on that.

It violates Army Regulation, because they were in uniform. The PC double standard is being applied.

I suspect it bothers you because these women are black, other wise, quite as a church mouse.

I suspect it bothers you because these women are black, other wise, quite as a church mouse.

You condone it because they're black. Liberals insist on holding black people to a lower standard because they believe that black folks can't meet the same standards as white folks.

Oh apdst, you're getting lazier and lazier when trying to change the topic, brother. Are white people who joined civil rights demonstrations in the 60s racists too? Do they hate white people?

He walked right into that one, ouch!

The key word being may

The Army didn't make the decision. When they get to their permanent party units most of them will fold up.

I would not trust any one of them on a nuclear submarine.

Is it because they or black or because they are women, or perhaps a little of both?

The Army didn't make the decision. When they get to their permanent party units most of them will fold up.

But you can't condemn someone for something that they've done while still very young that was stupid.

After all, kids do stupid ****. Doesn't mean they won't turn out to be good officers.

But you can't condemn someone for something that they've done while still very young that was stupid.

After all, kids do stupid ****. Doesn't mean they won't turn out to be good officers.

Especially black kids. Right?

View attachment 67201284

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/u...ist-photo.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Wow. The bowing to the left continues.

It is against regulations to engage in political activity while in your dress uniform. Period.

The Superintendent of the Academy reviews the circumstances and concluded that it was all an innocent prank with no political overtones, and merely represented a sense of "unity". yeah......right

Nothing like a good double standard in order to keep things politically correct. We must ignore the obvious; look at a picture and ignore basic rational thinking. That's what the nation has become.

given the white cadets use the same salute this is really just the right wing foolishness.

You condone it because they're black. Liberals insist on holding black people to a lower standard because they believe that black folks can't meet the same standards as white folks.

There is no proof that what they did was racist, in fact the Army disagrees with you on this. You are just butthurt that some smart, educated, black women are succeeding far beyond the best Bagdad Louisiana has to offer.

Is it because they or black or because they are women, or perhaps a little of both?

They're graduates of The United States Military Academy. They should know better. If they dont, they shouldn't be allowed to serve in criticle leadership positions.

If they can't be trusted not to do something stupid, like this they can't be trusted with soldier's lives.

Look at it this way. Assuming...ASSUMING it is in fact a 'black power' salute. Historically...what has that brought them? Raised fists...and self proclaimed kings and queens of a steaming cesspool that is the black community in this country.

Rappers love to announce themselves with 'titles'. Whoopdy****indo. Congrats...you are Lord Jammer...a lord over...****. Queen Bey proudly proclaims her sistahood and video tapes her impotent rage...and then returns to her mansion. She is 'connected'. Well played. Its a shame you arent more invested in actually working to IMPROVE the community as opposed to rapping about how ****ing awesome you are. But you know...to each their own.

Who gives a ****? At the end of the day those pinger lieutenants will go into the real world and they will be squared away quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom