• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

West Point Cadets Overdose During Spring Break in Florida, Officials Say

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The New York Times

Several West Point cadets were among six young men on spring break who overdosed this week on what was believed to be cocaine laced with fentanyl at a rental home in Wilton Manors, Fla., officials said Friday.

When the local police arrived at the home around 5 p.m. Thursday, two bystanders were performing CPR on two unconscious men on the lawn, Battalion Chief Stephen Gollan of Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue said in an interview. Two others were unconscious inside the house, he added.

The two bystanders had not used the substance, but they also went into respiratory arrest because of their exposure from performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, Chief Gollan said.

Emergency medical workers administered the anti-overdose medication Narcan, a brand-name version of naloxone, Chief Gollan said.

All the men were taken to hospitals, and as of Friday night, two were in critical condition and on ventilators, he said. One man remained in stable condition, and the other three had been released from the hospital, he said.

COMMENT:-

The headline should more properly read "Soon To Be Former West Point Cadets Overdose ..." (unless, of course, some of the cadets are "politically connected").​

Yep. The cadets need to be kicked out of West Point.
imo, action should be pursued to have the taxpayers reimbursed for at least the current year education costs + room and board.

The New York Times

Several West Point cadets were among six young men on spring break who overdosed this week on what was believed to be cocaine laced with fentanyl at a rental home in Wilton Manors, Fla., officials said Friday.

When the local police arrived at the home around 5 p.m. Thursday, two bystanders were performing CPR on two unconscious men on the lawn, Battalion Chief Stephen Gollan of Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue said in an interview. Two others were unconscious inside the house, he added.

The two bystanders had not used the substance, but they also went into respiratory arrest because of their exposure from performing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, Chief Gollan said.

Emergency medical workers administered the anti-overdose medication Narcan, a brand-name version of naloxone, Chief Gollan said.

All the men were taken to hospitals, and as of Friday night, two were in critical condition and on ventilators, he said. One man remained in stable condition, and the other three had been released from the hospital, he said.

COMMENT:-
The headline should more properly read "Soon To Be Former West Point Cadets Overdose ..." (unless, of course, some of the cadets are "politically connected").​
First. Mouth to mouth is not recommended anymore... and it can lead to gross and even harmful results like this. Compressions. Just keep doing them but of course make sure the air way is clear of obstructions and you have the head tilted and (opens airway fully).

Second... way to go future best and brightest military leaders... do a bunch of coke. What idiots.

First. Mouth to mouth is not recommended anymore... and it can lead to gross and even harmful results like this. Compressions. Just keep doing them but of course make sure the air way is clear of obstructions and you have the head tilted and (opens airway fully).

Second... way to go future best and brightest military leaders... do a bunch of coke. What idiots.
Not recommended? Hog wash.

Not recommended without protection? Yep.

Not necessary in some cases? Yep.

Closed chest compression is totally safe? Nope.

Closed chest compression is always effective? Nope.

Closed chest compression can inflict a fatal injury? Yep.

PS - I was once present when CCP was being attempted on a patient who had had COPD for so long that they had developed "barrel chest". The nurses doing the CCP were completely unable to perform it effectively because of the way that the patient's ribs were positioned. When the "Crash Team" arrived, the Respiratory Tech on the team took over, shifted his pressure point an inch or so and gave one really hard sharp compression before shifting back to the sternum. That compression was accompanied by a series of "cracks" as most of the ribs on one side of the patient's sternum were broken free of the sternum. From that point on the CCP was successful and the patient survived. [ASIDE - There was no additional charge to the patient for repairing the fractured ribs (but I suspect that the patient's family would have been overjoyed to have paid it if there had been one.]​

Not recommended? Hog wash.

Not recommended without protection? Yep.

Not necessary in some cases? Yep.

Closed chest compression is totally safe? Nope.

Closed chest compression is always effective? Nope.

Closed chest compression can inflict a fatal injury? Yep.

PS - I was once present when CCP was being attempted on a patient who had had COPD for so long that they had developed "barrel chest". The nurses doing the CCP were completely unable to perform it effectively because of the way that the patient's ribs were positioned. When the "Crash Team" arrived, the Respiratory Tech on the team took over, shifted his pressure point an inch or so and gave one really hard sharp compression before shifting back to the sternum. That compression was accompanied by a series of "cracks" as most of the ribs on one side of the patient's sternum were broken free of the sternum. From that point on the CCP was successful and the patient survived. [ASIDE - There was no additional charge to the patient for repairing the fractured ribs (but I suspect that the patient's family would have been overjoyed to have paid it if there had been one.]​
Just went through an advanced safety course... again. Every couple of years for twenty years.
Over the years views on mouth to mouth have shifted away from it.

imo, action should be pursued to have the taxpayers reimbursed for at least the current year education costs + room and board.

West Point cadets are not only supposed to be the best of the best, you can't get into West Point without connections.

Shameful.

Just went through an advanced safety course... again. Every couple of years for twenty years.
Over the years views on mouth to mouth have shifted away from it.

The Red Cross still teaches rescue breathing as part of their CPR training, the American Heart Association is big on compression only. the important thing is to do some sort of CPR to increase the chances of survival. You can get breath barriers on Amazon cheap, I keep a few on hand to be safe.

Ok like I said the American Heart Association is pushing hands only CPR.
And you will see the Red Cross still teaches rescue breaths as part of their training.

Breath or no breath doing something helpful is better than pull out your phone for a video

The Red Cross still teaches rescue breathing as part of their CPR training, the American Heart Association is big on compression only. the important thing is to do some sort of CPR to increase the chances of survival. You can get breath barriers on Amazon cheap, I keep a few on hand to be safe.
Maybe I should have worded it better. I meant that you don't have to do mouth to mouth. If a person is nervous or in a situation where mouth on mouth, even with masks, might seem unsafe then you can still perform CPR and hopefully save a life. We are taught to do rescue breathing but there are many that are confused or unsure, even after training, and it is recommended that if they are unsure that they just perform compressions.

I am not interested in a debate about this, in all honesty, almost took that part out because I knew this would happen.

If you want to do rescue breathing then do rescue breathing. If you don't... then don't.

I'm sure they will be.

Secondary question: With fentanyl laced cocaine being more and more prevalent (maybe even the rule instead of the exception) WHO the **** would even take a chance on it?

West Point cadets are not only supposed to be the best of the best, you can't get into West Point without connections.

Shameful.
A West Point instructor once remarked "West Point operates on the 'Honor System'. The staff has the honor and the students have the system.".

Who the hell laces cocaine with fentanyl? Fentanyl would provide th3e opposite effect of cocaine

If we weren't such moronic, judgmental assholes we would legalize drugs so its safe and use that money to help with addictiona, awareness, etc. Instead of billions nad billions to cartels and lowlifes that lace shit that kills people

Maybe I should have worded it better. I meant that you don't have to do mouth to mouth. If a person is nervous or in a situation where mouth on mouth, even with masks, might seem unsafe then you can still perform CPR and hopefully save a life. We are taught to do rescue breathing but there are many that are confused or unsure, even after training, and it is recommended that if they are unsure that they just perform compressions.
Now that you have clarified, I agree with you.
I am not interested in a debate about this, in all honesty, almost took that part out because I knew this would happen.

If you want to do rescue breathing then do rescue breathing. If you don't... then don't.
Indeed, standards and practices DO change over time.

When I took my first "government" course in Casualty Care (back in the 1960s), we were taught how to do CCP. We were also told that we weren't allowed to do it as it was a procedure that ONLY MDs were allowed to do.

I'm sure they will be.

Secondary question: With fentanyl laced cocaine being more and more prevalent (maybe even the rule instead of the exception) WHO the **** would even take a chance on it?

A person who is ignorant?

Makes me wonder what the drug dealers are thinking. Hey, let's sell a drug that will kill our users instead of just getting them hooked and buying more.

I'm sure they will be.

One of the people that I do Civil War re-enactments with once said (of the non-adults who attended them) "Sure we get the kids, and they are loud - but that's their job. And we get the teenagers, and they are stupid - but that's their job.".

Now you do have to cut a bit of slack for analogy, but the basic sentiment DOES answer your question - doesn't it?

I'm sure they will be.

Just read up on fentanyl and lord - why anyone would risk that for a high is beyond me. I'd have to be in physical agony before I accepted a doctor's prescription of it.

Who the hell laces cocaine with fentanyl?
Anyone who wants to increase their profit margin.
Fentanyl would provide th3e opposite effect of cocaine
Actually it potentiates the mental effects.
If we weren't such moronic, judgmental assholes we would legalize drugs so its safe and use that money to help with addictiona, awareness, etc.
Some countries have already done that and more are moving in that direction. I guess that they consider that the proven reduction in undesirable side effects is worth the theoretical increase in drug use.

[ASIDE - One of the "attractions" of drug use is the fact that it is "forbidden. Take away the "forbidden" and you reduce the attractiveness of drug use.]
Instead of billions nad billions to cartels and lowlifes that lace shit that kills people
Now, now, now. You have to remember that the adulteration of drugs has two roots.

Yes, the first IS the increased profit margin that comes from charging the same price for smaller quantities (much as your box of cornflakes still costs the same as it used to but contains less product).

But the second is "public service" where the drug dealers add substances that lower the mortality rate of their customers (much as the Heroin dealers started adding Quinine to their base product in order to reduce the number of deaths resulting from contracting Yellow Fever [because their customers were sharing needles]).

The fact that Quinine give a REALLY fast "high" was an "extra added feature". The fact that Quinine kills a hell of a lot more effectively than Heroin if too much is taken at once was merely a "cost of doing business" resulting from "poor quality control".

Just read up on fentanyl and lord - why anyone would risk that for a high is beyond me. I'd have to be in physical agony before I accepted a doctor's prescription of it.
You do know that those illegal drugs do NOT come with a "Product Safety Warning" that says "CAUTION - May contain Fentanyl" don't you?

You do know that those illegal drugs do NOT come with a "Product Safety Warning" that says "CAUTION - May contain Fentanyl" don't you?
But the cocaine purchased from the drug dealer is FDA approved... right?

But the cocaine purchased from the drug dealer is FDA approved... right?
Actually it probably is (sorta).

While Cocaine, itself, is not currently "FDA approved" as a "stand alone" substance, it IS an "allowed" ingredient in some medications. The FDA was formed in 1906 and medications then on the market were "grandfathered". Cocaine, having been on the market since 1859 was "already on the market" and so, technically, it was "approved" by the FDA. It wasn't until the passage of the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act in 1914 (under which it became technically illegal for purposes of distribution and use, its distribution, sale and use of cocaine was still legal for registered companies and individuals) that it became a substance that was illegal to sell without a prescription from a licensed physician.

The purchase itself is, however, illegal regardless of whether or not the Cocaine is "FDA approved".

Now the rest of the stuff in the packet - welllll - that I wouldn't be so sure of.

Shameful.
That's not entirely true. You generally need the sponsorship of a member of Congress, but that doesn't require "connections" as we typically think of them. A good friend of mine in HS, and a first cousin, were admitted and they were both from very ordinary, middle class families who weren't politically active. My cousin was/is really, really smart, and could have gone the elite college route most likely (with scholarships), and the other an excellent student and great athlete.

That's not entirely true. You generally need the sponsorship of a member of Congress, but that doesn't require "connections" as we typically think of them. A good friend of mine in HS, and a first cousin, were admitted and they were both from very ordinary, middle class families who weren't politically active. My cousin was/is really, really smart, and could have gone the elite college route most likely (with scholarships), and the other an excellent student and great athlete.
Do you know for a fact that they did not have a connection? Seems strange that an Illuminati training academy would just let anybody in.

Apparently someone got into West Point with connections not because they were highly qualified and use good judgement. And there were some that raped female cadets in the past and cheated. Good grief.

Do you know for a fact that they did not have a connection? Seems strange that an Illuminati training academy would just let anybody in.

They contact the Congressperson, or vice versa, and their credentials are reviewed...so even strangers, if qualified...can get a Congressperson's recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom