• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Were you surprised by the results of the senate elections?

Where you surprised by the results of the 2018 US senate elections?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • not sure / don't care

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
All of the results for the senatorial election are now in.

These were the results which I projected:
2018 Senate Election Interactive Map

And these were the actual results:

The only unexpected thing from this election was that not a single candidate in the Mississippi special election got a majority. So on November 27, there will be a second round with the top two candidates. Florida's election has not been counted yet but the republican is currently leading with 50.1% as of this thread's posting.

The republican party will not lose any seats in the senate and stand to gain up to 2 seats if both the Mississippi special election and Florida election turn out favorably.

The only unexpected thing from this election was that not a single candidate in the Mississippi special election got a majority. So on November 27, there will be a second round with the top two candidates. Florida's election has not been counted yet but the republican is currently leading with 50.1% as of this thread's posting.

The republican party will not lose any seats in the senate and stand to gain up to 2 seats if both the Mississippi special election and Florida election turn out favorably.

I had Florida with Nelson as the winner.

I'll have to get back to you. We in Floriduh(I hate writing that, but if the shoe fits...) are still counting. We are hoping to be done by 2020, but make no promise! I shudder to think that idiot Supervisor of elections down south will someday be put in charge of counting/rolling coins from toll booths!!
Regards,
CP

No, I did not have any expectations, I never felt like I had enough understanding to predict how this was going to go. This is because the journalists have failed and thus are completely unreliable, and because the polling industry is in deep do-do as America changes faster than they can keep up.

Not surprised.
Results are about what I expected, although there are still those two seats undecided.

Even if they both go to the same party, it'll still be within expected margins.

I'll have to get back to you. We in Floriduh(I hate writing that, but if the shoe fits...) are still counting. We are hoping to be done by 2020, but make no promise! I shudder to think that idiot Supervisor of elections down south will someday be put in charge of counting/rolling coins from toll booths!!
Regards,
CP
Law requires you finish the machine recount by Thursday, I thought.

Although that seems too short a period for so many votes.

I suggest they tie the period allowed for such to the population of the state, or at least the district doing the recount (which in this case is all of them).

I had Florida with Nelson as the winner.
Yep.

Once again, the state was a mess, and Republican benefited the most from it.

I also thought a few more Republican incumbents in the House would hang on that didn't.

Considering the Democrats had to defend 10 Senate seats in states Trump won in 2016, a GOP pickup of just 1 or perhaps 2 seats is a bit, surprising.

The Dems flipped 7 governorship's and also now have the most state Attorney Generals. This will matter immensely come time to redistrict after the 2020 census.

Law requires you finish the machine recount by Thursday, I thought.

Although that seems too short a period for so many votes.

I suggest they tie the period allowed for such to the population of the state, or at least the district doing the recount (which in this case is all of them).
I appreciate the nod, but I recognize our flaw, and admit there is no good excuse for it.
The southern part of the state is ridiculous. Florida is in many ways very efficient, but elections down south make us all look stupid!
Regards,
CP

No, I did not have any expectations, I never felt like I had enough understanding to predict how this was going to go. This is because the journalists have failed and thus are completely unreliable, and because the polling industry is in deep do-do as America changes faster than they can keep up.

:roll:

Polling I remember seeing predicted the 2018 election results fairly accurately.
Was easily within the margins of error.

Polling I remember seeing predicted the 2018 election results fairly accurately.

Getting one right would be a good thing, but they are not yet with a long enough history of being right to be considered reliable. I have not looked at this election polling accuracy yet but you are not the first guy to tell me that they got this one right.

Yep.

Once again, the state was a mess, and Republican benefited the most from it.

I also thought a few more Republican incumbents in the House would hang on that didn't.

I had the House Dems at (IIRC) 230-235

Getting one right would be a good thing, but they are not yet with a long enough history of being right to be considered reliable. I have not looked at this election polling accuracy yet but you are not the first guy to tell me that they got this one right.

I was thinking of 538, actually:
Their House forecast: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/
Their Senate forecast: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/?ex_cid=midterms-header

No, not surprised. Scott ahead of Nelson by a hair in Florida. Counting in Palm Beach County will not be done by the Thursday deadline because they have already obsolete 12 year old voting machines that are slow. If Scotts

0.15 lead doesn't change or gets smaller by Thursday or Nelson over takes Scott with the margin still 0.25 or less the election will go to a hand recount. No one knows how its going to turn out. The elections officials in Broward

and Palm Beach County are Democrats. No matter what they were always going to be Republican targets in a close election. At least there are no hanging chads this time. In the Mississippi run off you have to favor the Republican

against the Democrat.

Republicans will pick up 1-3 seats, they are already up 1.
In the senate.

No suprises in the Senate, it went how the polls suggested. I was surprised at some of the GOP House seats which went Dem.

Overall the polls were correct. As they were in 2016 if you take the margin of error into consideration.

A lot of the state level polling used to be paid for by local newspapers. They don't have the money for it anymore. There is also the problem of most people don't answer calls these days if they don't recognize the number and that makes polling very difficult.

A lot of the state level polling used to be paid for by local newspapers. They don't have the money for it anymore. There is also the problem of most people don't answer calls these days if they don't recognize the number and that makes polling very difficult.
Polling needs to be rethought and no longer based on phone calls.

Regards,
CP

Quick update from So. Fla. We're still counting!!!! So far, it is 10 to 9, but I'm not allowed to tell you who is ahead. plus we're on break right now. We'll get back to you sometime in the coming weeks, months at the worst!
Regards,
CP.

Back
Top Bottom