• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Were uniformed cops banned from the floor of the DNC convention?

Ahlevah

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
On July 28th, Rudy Giuliani made the following claim on Fox and Friends:

This is the most anti-police, anti-law enforcement convention I've ever seen in my whole life. There was not a uniformed police officer allowed on the convention floor. I was told that by four high ranking Philadelphia police officers, two of whom I've known for a very long time.
Then I walked the floor two nights and couldn't find a single uniformed police officer. Go look at your footage. Find me a uniform. Hillary Clinton did not want uniformed police officers on the convention floor.

https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/status/758628478447079424

That same day a writer for Snopes commented on the issue, concluding that is was false and "based entirely on a comment made by former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani during an appearance on Fox And Friends." The Snopes article included the following response from the Philadelphia Police Department:

Philadelphia Police have worked in conjunction with the Secret Service throughout this event which includes the interior portion of the venue, as well as the exterior portion. Officers in uniform and plain clothes have been assigned to all areas inside of the venue, which includes the various floors, levels, and interior portions.

But then the next day the New York Post ran an article claiming that it interviewed three Philadelphia cops who substantiated Giuliani's claim:

The Post interviewed three police officers who confirmed they were ordered to steer clear of the convention floor during the proceedings while wearing their uniforms.

Philly police say uniformed cops were barred from DNC floor | New York Post

I don't see where Snopes has updated its article to reflect the Post's article, and I find it telling as well that there's been little to no coverage of this by traditional media outlets beyond the Post. At this point I can't really say what the truth is, but I can say with absolute certainty that both sides can't be right. Either someone is very mistaken or is lying.

There should not be any official uniformed government persons inside a political rally. Police, military and so on can go there in civilian cloths.

On July 28th, Rudy Giuliani made the following claim on Fox and Friends:

That same day a writer for Snopes commented on the issue, concluding that is was false and "based entirely on a comment made by former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani during an appearance on Fox And Friends." The Snopes article included the following response from the Philadelphia Police Department:

But then the next day the New York Post ran an article claiming that it interviewed three Philadelphia cops who substantiated Giuliani's claim:

I don't see where Snopes has updated its article to reflect the Post's article, and I find it telling as well that there's been little to no coverage of this by traditional media outlets beyond the Post. At this point I can't really say what the truth is, but I can say with absolute certainty that both sides can't be right. Either someone is very mistaken or is lying.

Why would Snopes update its article? How would it read?

"Even though we got our information directly from a representative from the Philadelphia Police Department, the New York Post reports it has spoken to three Philadelphia police officers who substantiate the story. Our source must have been incorrect."

Why would Snopes update its article?

Because as it stands this statement is false:

This rumor seems to be based entirely on a comment made by former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani during an appearance on Fox And Friends....

How would it read?

For one thing, when the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York and former Mayor of New York goes on the record saying "four high ranking Philadelphia police officers, two of whom I've known for a very long time" told him that uniformed officers were barred from the floor and that after walking the floor for two nights he never saw one uniformed officer I would call that more than a "rumor." Also, the word "entirely" needs to be stricken from the statement because the Post article mentioned that three police officers confirmed Rudy's account. For whatever reason (Political bias overrode the search for "truth"?), Snopes dropped the ball on this one.

"Even though we got our information directly from a representative from the Philadelphia Police Department, the New York Post reports it has spoken to three Philadelphia police officers who substantiate the story. Our source must have been incorrect."

So because "the city said" that makes it fact? Sorry, but I tend to believe Rudy over the city statement. Can anyone provide ONE picture of a uniformed officer on the floor of the DNC convention? Then and only then will I believe that maybe Rudy was mistaken.

Seems a stretch to call it anti-cop given all pro-cop rhetoric that seemed almost obligatory.

There should not be any official uniformed government persons inside a political rally. Police, military and so on can go there in civilian cloths.

They shouldn't be there to endorse or participate while in uniform but there is nothing wrong with them being there in uniform if they are performing their job.

Seems a stretch to call it anti-cop given all pro-cop rhetoric that seemed almost obligatory.

"We love you, but keep your blue asses off of our floor," eh?

"We love you, but keep your blue asses off of our floor," eh?

Think about what was going on at the time. They were trying to show a united front despite a vocal split among the delegates. I doubt they wanted it to appear they needed a sizable police presence to maintain the peace. When you have a bunch of uniformed cops inside the hall it makes it appear you are expecting trouble.

It was certainly about optics, but not likely the ones some think.

Back
Top Bottom