• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Were the objectives of the Iraq war met?

Oozlefinch, et al,

This information is often pointed to by those diehards that simply will not let it go. It is both misleading and the dissemination of incorrect information pertaining to the finds.

Why do people continue to spread around that lie?

During the invasion, over 500 munitions with mustard and sarin gas were discovered.

In 2009 when Iraq signed the Chemical Weapons Convention, they turned over 2 bunkers filled with chemical weapons, munitions, and precursors. They also turned over 5 chemical weapons production facilities.

NTI: Global Security Newswire - India Completes Chemical Weapons Disposal; Iraq Declares Stockpile

There have also been more documents released in the last year about weapons and stockpiles that have been released by WikiLeaks. I always find it amazing that people take everything released as gospel, yet when they release classified documents about the locations of chemical weapons, nobody says anything about it.

And of course, WMDs are more then just the warheads, it is also the delivery systems. The UN had already classified the Al-Samoud 2 Ballistic Missle to be a WMD, and ordered Iraq to destroy all of them. Iraq claimed that they were all destroyed, yet somehow they were able to fire many of them at Kuwait.

Iraqi missile targeted coalition HQ during war - CNN

So continue to tell yourself that they did not exist. Maybe someday others with common sense will believe it. Because those that know and recognize the truth know that is a lie.
(COMMENT)

The very few weapons the Report refers to (http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Iraq_WMD_Declassified.pdf) are that of what we call "Battlefield Remnants." These were devices left strung over the old Iran-Iraq War. This material was more than a decade old, forgotten material, that degraded to a point that it was no longer weaponized or useable.

The 500 or so devices found were a far cry from the thousands of tons of munitions we were looking for in the hunt for WMD. It was NOT the post-1991 materical that we were trying to get accountability on.

BELIEVE ME, when I say, that if the US had discovered any WMD that GEN Powell (then SECSTATE) reported to the UN, it would have been the "Mother of ALL Media Events." They would have displayed samples for everyone to view on the Washington Mall. But it wasn't. Not even close.

But my experience has been that it will be many decades before those few that perpetuate the rumor will fade away. They just need to believe that America was absolutely and 100% right in this, and that there is a conspiracy to hide the truth; even by those of us that were there.

Most Respectfully,
R

Oozlefinch, et al,

This information is often pointed to by those diehards that simply will not let it go. It is both misleading and the dissemination of incorrect information pertaining to the finds.

(COMMENT)

The very few weapons the Report refers to (http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Iraq_WMD_Declassified.pdf) are that of what we call "Battlefield Remnants." These were devices left strung over the old Iran-Iraq War. This material was more than a decade old, forgotten material, that degraded to a point that it was no longer weaponized or useable.

The 500 or so devices found were a far cry from the thousands of tons of munitions we were looking for in the hunt for WMD. It was NOT the post-1991 materical that we were trying to get accountability on.

BELIEVE ME, when I say, that if the US had discovered any WMD that GEN Powell (then SECSTATE) reported to the UN, it would have been the "Mother of ALL Media Events." They would have displayed samples for everyone to view on the Washington Mall. But it wasn't. Not even close.

But my experience has been that it will be many decades before those few that perpetuate the rumor will fade away. They just need to believe that America was absolutely and 100% right in this, and that there is a conspiracy to hide the truth; even by those of us that were there.

Most Respectfully,
R

Misinformation dies a long, slow, painful death, if and when it dies at all. Some simply want to believe so badly that they will never let the truth in. It is unfortunate, but something that happens all too often.

Back
Top Bottom