• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Were the Gospels eye-witness testemonies?

Can't say I have. However, I can find satellite views of Malta

no, you can only find things that claim to be satellite views of Malta.

I can find maps of Malta

and see the same as for sattelite images; all you are doing is assuming that others are translating their experiences of Malta accurately.

if you truly, sitting at your computer right now, think that the Island of Malta exists, then you are dependent solely upon trusting the experience of others.

so the question becomes; is the experience of others admissable as evidence (if not proof)?

I was going to post, but this is just atheist anti-god rambling now isn't it?

Lol, good times, good times.

no, you can only find things that claim to be satellite views of Malta.

Wrong, I could, theoretically at least, go up in the Space Shuttle and fly over Malta and take a picture of it. Now tell me something that I can theoretically do that will confirm the existence of God.

and see the same as for sattelite images; all you are doing is assuming that others are translating their experiences of Malta accurately.

if you truly, sitting at your computer right now, think that the Island of Malta exists, then you are dependent solely upon trusting the experience of others.

so the question becomes; is the experience of others admissable as evidence (if not proof)?

Of course, you editted out my statement that I could actually go to Malta myself...

I've never even heard of it :)

lovely little place in the Med

images

images

lots of people have been there; they've recorded their experineces in all kinds of ways (to include mapping).

so, given the large amount of first-person evidence, do you think that - all other things being equal - it is likely that Malta exists?

Wrong, I could, theoretically at least, go up in the Space Shuttle and fly over Malta and take a picture of it.

and again then you are still dependent upon others to tell you what and where malta is.

Now tell me something that I can theoretically do that will confirm the existence of God.

:) talk to anyone who interacts with him on a regular basis.

Of course, you editted out my statement that I could actually go to Malta myself...

only because i thought it was so blindingly obviously answered here in our comparison. you are already in contact with multiple people who have 'been to Malta' and you are free to 'go to Malta' yourself any time you please.

This is how your conversation with regard to this assertion went:

Cephus: I don't want to only rely on purported witnesses for evidence. In theory, I can travel to Malta to prove it exists. Tell me something I can do, in theory, to prove that god exists.
You: Talk to a purported eyewitness.

Can you not see how you are dodging making a true answer to his request? I watch this happen a lot, and I'd just really like to see someone converse about this 'on the level' for once. If you can't do it for the people here at debate politics, can you do it for the sake of your God?

Forgive the stream of consciousness please.
Malta has overwhelming evidence for it's existence, One can say "you can't like know anything man", *cue brain in vat analogy*, but that's a useless position.
and again then you are still dependent upon others to tell you what and where malta is.
If that's the case, then you are dependent on others to tell you what everything is. Look at a chair in your house. How do you know it is a "chair"? You know it is a "chair" because you have learned from other people that that is what objects like that are. You know that your spiritual experiences are from "God" because that is what you have learned. If all you had were the experiences the most you could conclude is that there is an invisible intelligent power.

If I had the vivid memory of going to a large, thriving and populated island named Malta for several days, but afterwards I couldn't find any mention of it in any literature, no one I talk to knows about it, and I can't find it on any map. I would say that my memory is a delusion.

cpwill said:

Since the word "Malta" defines a specific island at a specific location, you're just wrong. Do you ever get tired of grasping at straws?

talk to anyone who interacts with him on a regular basis.

I didn't ask what someone else can do, I asked what *I* can do. Try again.

only because i thought it was so blindingly obviously answered here in our comparison. you are already in contact with multiple people who have 'been to Malta' and you are free to 'go to Malta' yourself any time you please.

Yes, I can go to Malta if I want and confirm it for myself. Because you are trying to compare Malta to God, now tell me how I can confirm the existence of God for myself.

If you can't, then it's a piss poor comparison.

I believe Malta exists because:
1) It is accounted for from wide ranging, independent sources that are in general agreement
2) It is accounted for from sources that are not connected or involved with the claim or story
3) Its existence is widely tested and verified by others .
4) I can go there personally if I choose.
5) Its existence does not conflict with what I know of the real world.

If Malta were supported by nothing but the following list, I'd be skeptical of its existence:
1. Unverifiable personal testimonials
2. Conjectures and extrapolations (common dictionary definitions)
3. Personal opinions
4. Writings in old promotional literature (that cannot be verified)
5. Writings in new promotional literature (that cannot be verified)
6. “Revelations” from “prophets” or “seers”
7. Personal accounts of “visions” or “visitations”
8. Instructions said to be from “god”

Back
Top Bottom