• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Were Republicans really the party of civil rights in the 1960s?

take the date of your letter.......1956....

Eisenhower fought for rights of blacks in 1957, and L. Johnston stood in the way at that time, he changed his position later.

Answer this: do you have evidence that he voted for Eisenhower?

Answer this: Do you have evidence that contradicts his views on Goldwater?

Answer this: Do you have evidence that contradicts his known view on Kennedy in regard to public and/or private intentions?

Answer this: Do you have evidence that contradicts his increasing leftward turn toward the last years of his life?

MLK WAS A REPUBLICAN, IT IS REPUBLICANS WHO MARCHED WITH KING DURING THOSE TIMES, NOT DEMOCRATS.

take a trip out to youtude and look at old videos of republicans standing with MLK

I don't care about Youtube (shame on you for even mentioning it) and who was marching with him. Give me sources that back up your claims.

Answer this: do you have evidence that he voted for Eisenhower?

Answer this: Do you have evidence that contradicts his views on Goldwater?

Answer this: Do you have evidence that contradicts his known view on Kennedy in regard to public and/or private intentions?

Answer this: Do you have evidence that contradicts his increasing leftward turn toward the last years of his life?

stick to the letter...

Stevenson won the old south during the 52, 56 elections the rest of the nation voted for Eisenhower.

November 6, 1956 African-American civil rights leaders Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy vote for Republican Dwight Eisenhower for President.

Civil Rights History

I don't care about Youtube (shame on you for even mentioning it) and who was marching with him. Give me sources that back up your claims.

a video of republicans stating the facts back in the 1960's the best evidence i know of........

stick to the letter...

Stevenson won the old south during the 52, 56 elections the rest of the nation voted for Eisenhower.

November 6, 1956 African-American civil rights leaders Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy vote for Republican Dwight Eisenhower for President.

Civil Rights History

If we stuck to the letter, your claim would already have a severe weakness. If you read any more of his statements, they further erode your claim. All you have is incorrect statements from the same organizations.

Where do we have the source confirming he voted for Eisenhower? All I see is the same source that put up the claim in the first place, furthermore, your link doesn't even state it.

Do we just conveniently ignore everything else the primary source record has already clearly illustrated?

a video of republicans stating the facts back in the 1960's the best evidence i know of........

Walking with King? He's an advocate. He should walk around anyone who can support his policy goals. That does not mean he supports them or votes for them. All of the evidence goes against your claim. You didn't even jump at the chance to remind us that King endorsed Nixon---of course, until King Jr. felt betrayed.

Its goofy to think EITHER arty is the party of civil rights. Unless of course you believe passing a bunch of worthless appeasement acts and a history of race baiting is 'helping'. One need only look at the black community an see what 40 years of thoughtless blind democrat support has won them.

LBJ at least spoke the truth about why he supported "Civil Rights."

Sure i am. You, OTOH, are so far Right, you can't even see the Center anymore.

Only by your standards, which are rather unstable and full of falacies, so your opinion doesn't count.

Democrats held the house and senate starting in January of 2007. They held the house, senate and WH starting Jan 2009. They lost the house in 2011 but have maintained control of the WH and senate. Since 2007, the black community in America has fared not only worse but SIGNIFICANTLY worse in every major category. Meanwhile...for 6 years now, other than the incessant ****ing whining about how the OTHER guys are wicked, bad, eeeevil...what exactly has the democrat party done to improve ANYTHING for the black community? Well...they HAVE seen an improvement in unemployment...IF you count an INCREASE in unemployment as an improvement. And hey...since it makes them more dependent...I guess that IS an improvement after all.

And its been the same thing since the 60's. Appeasement acts, name a few streets after civil rights leaders, build some projects. Pass a bunch of handouts. Make sure you sell that message that the black community is poor, pathetic, downtrodden, and cant succeed without the democrats saving them. The carpetbaggers...they have got your backs! Oh...they have been 'saved' alright. Dont worry, black people. Every election season a democrat will find religion, go to your church, put on a pandering fake ass accent and tell them how they aint no ways tahrd...and how much they respect the black folk and thanks for your vote. Well played, democrat party...well played indeed!

Democrats held the house and senate starting in January of 2007. They held the house, senate and WH starting Jan 2009. They lost the house in 2011 but have maintained control of the WH and senate. Since 2007, the black community in America has fared not only worse but SIGNIFICANTLY worse in every major category. Meanwhile...for 6 years now, other than the incessant ****ing whining about how the OTHER guys are wicked, bad, eeeevil...what exactly has the democrat party done to improve ANYTHING for the black community? Well...they HAVE seen an improvement in unemployment...IF you count an INCREASE in unemployment as an improvement. And hey...since it makes them more dependent...I guess that IS an improvement after all.

And its been the same thing since the 60's. Appeasement acts, name a few streets after civil rights leaders, build some projects. Pass a bunch of handouts. Make sure you sell that message that the black community is poor, pathetic, downtrodden, and cant succeed without the democrats saving them. The carpetbaggers...they have got your backs! Oh...they have been 'saved' alright. Dont worry, black people. Every election season a democrat will find religion, go to your church, put on a pandering fake ass accent and tell them how they aint no ways tahrd...and how much they respect the black folk and thanks for your vote. Well played, democrat party...well played indeed!

Yeah, unlike the Republicans who say they are colorblind while making it harder for poor Blacks to vote. :rolleyes:

Yeah, unlike the Republicans who say they are colorblind while making it harder for poor Blacks to vote. :rolleyes:
In reality, blacks voted in the last presidential election in nearly identical percentages to whites, for the most part. If republicans are making it harder, they really suck at it.

In reality, blacks voted in the last presidential election in nearly identical percentages to whites, for the most part. If republicans are making it harder, they really suck at it.

It's been my experience that Republicans suck at most things they try to do. Were you awake during the failed presidency of W? Talk about suck. He sucked at preventing 911; he sucked at securing Iraq, and he really sucked at finding OBL, but on the economy, he sucked worst of all.

Funny how you simply CANNOT stay on point. So you simply ALLOW that everything I said is correct and instead point to the horrible arduous task of providing an ID card to show who you are as a means of buying cigarettes...no...I mean alcohol...no...wait...using a credit card or writing a check.....no...no...using the airlines...errr...wait...to file for and receive public assistance...no....to enter a federal building...no...no...to get a drivers license...no...wait...I mean 'voting' as 'oppressive'.

How is that 50 year support of the democrat party working out for the black community?

You are aware that most of the voting restrictions Republicans are implementing in states like NC have gone into effect after 2012. Correct?
Yes. So claiming that such actions will reduce voter participation has no basis in fact. Furthermore, ample time and assistance is available to allow any with document problems to correct them well in advance of any upcoming elections. As nearly as I can tell, requiring an ID and such has had little impact on participation in any other area in which similar documentation is required, so saying that it will in this instance has no basis in fact at all.

Funny how you simply CANNOT stay on point. So you simply ALLOW that everything I said is correct and instead point to the horrible arduous task of providing an ID card to show who you are as a means of buying cigarettes...no...I mean alcohol...no...wait...using a credit card or writing a check.....no...no...using the airlines...errr...wait...to file for and receive public assistance...no....to enter a federal building...no...no...to get a drivers license...no...wait...I mean 'voting' as 'oppressive'.

How is that 50 year support of the democrat party working out for the black community?
I don't know. I'm not Black. But, they seem to think voting D makes more sense than voting for the GOP. I trust they know what they are doing.

I don't know. I'm not Black. But, they seem to think voting D makes more sense than voting for the GOP. I trust they know what they are doing.
And.....hows that working out for them?

Yes. So claiming that such actions will reduce voter participation has no basis in fact. Furthermore, ample time and assistance is available to allow any with document problems to correct them well in advance of any upcoming elections. As nearly as I can tell, requiring an ID and such has had little impact on participation in any other area in which similar documentation is required, so saying that it will in this instance has no basis in fact at all.
We'll see. I suspect that the GOP would not be pushing for such measures if they had no effect :roll:

And.....hows that working out for them?

It might be working out just fine. Who's to say? It's not like they flock to support Clarence Thomas or Condi. For that there must be a reason. Unless, of course, you think they are too stupid to decide for themselves what works best for them.

We'll see. I suspect that the GOP would not be pushing for such measures if they had no effect :roll:
We could argue over the effect, but until any effect is witnessed, it's just conjecture. Having looked at the laws in question, I see no demographic that's unduly affected, but what I see now may be contradicted by the facts when the next election occurs. Bear in mind that what may occur has at the very least as much to do with the candidates and voter enthusiasm as it does voting requirements.

It might be working out just fine. Who's to say? It's not like they flock to support Clarence Thomas or Condi. For that there must be a reason. Unless, of course, you think they are too stupid to decide for themselves what works best for them.
Hows that unemployment rate going? Double that of everyone else huh? Awesome. Bankruptcu rates higher? Rockstar!. Crime, murder rate, drug, use, incarceration rates...I can see why they vote dem! Family structure? Hey...gotta love the welfare polices of the 70's.

In EVERY category across the board, the black community is struggling and it has gotten WORSE progressively, even with dems in control of the house, senate, and WH. Meanwhile, millions come here legally and illegally with NOTHING and manage to pull off this 'miracle'. Good thing no one has told them they 'cant'. Its too 'hard'. Its not 'fair'.

Back
Top Bottom