• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wendy's Moves To Self Ordering System as Minimum Wages Rise

We knew that minimum wage increases would provoke some changes. The question is still the same on how to handle an increasing lowest income quintile that will also face unemployment pressures from automation, and odds are we will end up talking about education help to get them out of that lowest income quintile.

will Wendy's finally remove the fun park gate system and open more than one register now that the system is automated?

We knew that minimum wage increases would provoke some changes. The question is still the same on how to handle an increasing lowest income quintile that will also face unemployment pressures from automation, and odds are we will end up talking about education help to get them out of that lowest income quintile.
there are however people on the low end of normal and under who simply will not be able to cope, that is a given

the whole system has to change hopefully we are smart enough to fix this without bloodshed but I don't hold out a lot of hope

will Wendy's finally remove the fun park gate system and open more than one register now that the system is automated?
I think the direction they are moving is the future of the fast food industry so they are on the cutting edge of change. Also the need and desire for such junk food needs to shrink along with massive waist lines.

If it is not a livable wage then the problem is moot and it is not a livable wage.

I think the direction they are moving is the future of the fast food industry so they are on the cutting edge of change. Also the need and desire for such junk food needs to shrink along with massive waist lines.

If it is not a livable wage then the problem is moot and it is not a livable wage.

fast food will eventually be almost completely automated. that is nearly a certainty. other careers will follow, even much more skilled ones. and then, we have to ask ourselves how we will sustain our job>money>access to resources economic model. i'm not arguing that we should keep making buggy whips just to make them. i'm more curious about how we'll address this situation. i'd argue that we should remove any paywall in front of education.

fast food will eventually be almost completely automated. that is nearly a certainty. other careers will follow, even much more skilled ones. and then, we have to ask ourselves how we will sustain our job>money>access to resources economic model. i'm not arguing that we should keep making buggy whips just to make them. i'm more curious about how we'll address this situation. i'd argue that we should remove any paywall in front of education.

Seriously? What will a college degree be worth, if everybody has one? ;)

I fully agree

I do believe before we reach our solution there will be much resistance and violence...we are on the edge of a strange new world and it will not flow easily, those who fear will fear greatly yet

and some of the fear will be warranted

No, most of us do not. What do you base this assertion on?

well not just my little world...degrees are a dime a dozen but they still help...

also the requirements within the work place keep increasing...for instance, factory workers in my city need their grade 12, custodians in my place of work need grade 12 now especially if you want to be a lead...cops in my province need grade 12 as a minimum and chances of being accepted without advanced education at college are almost zero and their average salary now is 90 thousand....if you have a degree you advance faster and further

firefighters average 100 thousand with over time and require college training...nothing less now :shrug:

Seriously? What will a college degree be worth, if everybody has one? ;)

a highly educated population is a great national asset. the paywall that we put in front of higher education is going to contribute to us falling behind the rest of the world eventually.

I fully agree

I do believe before we reach our solution there will be much resistance and violence...we are on the edge of a strange new world and it will not flow easily, those who fear will fear greatly yet

and some of the fear will be warranted

we're in the first stages of a post-labor economy. honestly, i don't know what that looks like. at this point, it looks something like a game of musical chairs. when the tractor was invented, displaced agricultural workers were absorbed by factories. now there's really nowhere for former factory workers to go but retail, and those jobs will eventually be absorbed by technology. it's an interesting and somewhat frightening problem.

a highly educated population is a great national asset. the paywall that we put in front of higher education is going to contribute to us falling behind the rest of the world eventually.

Cuba is currently full of doctors driving cabs but I believe their country is about to explode into the 21st century and will catch up and run economically

Capitalism has been instrumental to advances in technology. Ironically it will be that technology that may lead to capitalism being unsustainable in the future. Once AI is perfected it will be a whole new game.

we're in the first stages of a post-labor economy. honestly, i don't know what that looks like. at this point, it looks something like a game of musical chairs. when the tractor was invented, displaced agricultural workers were absorbed by factories. now there's really nowhere for former factory workers to go but retail, and those jobs will eventually be absorbed by technology. it's an interesting and somewhat frightening problem.
absolutely

retail under the old system no longer works and hasn't for almost 2 decades, and actually retail is highly skilled because they are expected to sell, not just stand around dusting

now factories run lines by computer

custodians run schools by computer

everything is changing...and it is just beginning

Cuba is currently full of doctors driving cabs but I believe their country is about to explode into the 21st century and will catch up and run economically

i hope so. looks like their communism has a good chance of breaking down into capitalism just like most other failed communist states.

absolutely

retail under the old system no longer works and hasn't for almost 2 decades, and actually retail is highly skilled because they are expected to sell, not just stand around dusting

now factories run lines by computer

custodians run schools by computer

everything is changing...and it is just beginning

:raises eyebrow: My brother has spent his entire adult working life in or around factory production - the whole "oh there are no factory jobs anymore" is bunk. Unions killed off much of the Big Three, but Industrial Production for the US is higher than it ever has been. What we've done is shifted from producing low-value goods to higher-value goods.

College requirements are getting shoved down the work-scale because they are subsidized (and thus more prevalent than we need), and because our High Schools are doing an awful job of giving graduates the basic skill sets.

Gosh, who could have predicted that? Now more people will be out of work.

Remember: The real minimum wage is always zero.

This is what Robert Heinlein would call "bad luck". We're having more of that sort of bad luck these days.

That's been coming on long before a rise in the minimum wage. It started with self serve gas stations, and when was the last time you were at your grocery store? Did you notice the "self check out" area? Automation came to the auto industry long ago as well. It's not the cost of labor that's driving it, it's the increases in the margin.

Predictable for sure. Costs will either be passed on to the consumer, or jobs will be eliminated altogether. We told ya. Entry level service jobs were never meant to be a career.
Sure, I realize that many don't have much of a choice, but as we see, the alternative is worse.
Next we will read about automatic burger machines and off we go.
For the rest, we can always import some low wage workers from overseas who don't complain much.
Problem solved.

It's another product of liberalism.

Just like slave wages are a product of conservatism. Automation will always be cheaper than people no matter what they are paid. Human beings are and need to be a premium commodity. They provide a value added service and many corporations know that.

:raises eyebrow: My brother has spent his entire adult working life in or around factory production - the whole "oh there are no factory jobs anymore" is bunk. Unions killed off much of the Big Three, but Industrial Production for the US is higher than it ever has been. What we've done is shifted from producing low-value goods to higher-value goods.

College requirements are getting shoved down the work-scale because they are subsidized (and thus more prevalent than we need), and because our High Schools are doing an awful job of giving graduates the basic skill sets.

We need those jobs, desperately. Not everyone is an academic, and some don't care to be. We have to have jobs for everyone unless it is ok to discriminate by outsourcing.
Unions have set standards, and those standards must be upheld. It is corporate greed that send jobs out. But don't fret, it won't be long until standards set by unions are expected elsewhere in the world. People overseas are waking up to what is going on around them.

Back
Top Bottom