• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wendy's Moves To Self Ordering System as Minimum Wages Rise

Just like slave wages are a product of conservatism. Automation will always be cheaper than people no matter what they are paid. Human beings are and need to be a premium commodity. They provide a value added service and many corporations know that.

Slaves are not paid. If someone is paying their slaves then they're an idiot.

:raises eyebrow: My brother has spent his entire adult working life in or around factory production - the whole "oh there are no factory jobs anymore" is bunk.
sure there are still factory jobs it's just that our work force is moving away from the old style of production

Unions killed off much of the Big Three, but Industrial Production for the US is higher than it ever has been. What we've done is shifted from producing low-value goods to higher-value goods.
in the past there were always high value goods produced I don't understand what your point is here.

College requirements are getting shoved down the work-scale because they are subsidized (and thus more prevalent than we need),
that may be your opinion however as you can see by my post cops and firemen in my country are college educated...that is a fact...custodians and factory workers need grade 12 that is a fact

and because our High Schools are doing an awful job of giving graduates the basic skill sets.
the world has changed and will continue to do so...education is not a bad thing, it is a good thing, it just needs to be targeted so that it flows better with the needs of society

old school worker days are the past...there is no going back

Capitalism has been instrumental to advances in technology. Ironically it will be that technology that may lead to capitalism being unsustainable in the future. Once AI is perfected it will be a whole new game.

This seems like a logical possibility.

Seriously? What will a college degree be worth, if everybody has one? ;)

That's why college degrees today are meaningless, because everyone is expected to have one. There was a time that only the best and brightest went to college. Today, almost everyone goes, even if they get pointless degrees that mean nothing.

a highly educated population is a great national asset. the paywall that we put in front of higher education is going to contribute to us falling behind the rest of the world eventually.

That would be great if people went and got worthwhile degrees that trained them for highly technical fields, but they don't. People go and get liberal arts degrees and gender studies degrees, things that don't really prepare them for highly-paid jobs at all. A degree is just a piece of paper unless it prepares you for more.

That's been coming on long before a rise in the minimum wage. It started with self serve gas stations, and when was the last time you were at your grocery store? Did you notice the "self check out" area? Automation came to the auto industry long ago as well. It's not the cost of labor that's driving it, it's the increases in the margin.

But I prefer to self-checkout, I will do it everywhere that I can so I don't have to bother with idiot cashiers who are forced by their employers to try to sell me everything under the sun as they slowly pass my purchases over a scanner. I am much faster and more efficient than they are. I can get in and get out in 1/3 the time that it takes them to run through their script. The sooner cashiers go entirely extinct, the better.

But I prefer to self-checkout, I will do it everywhere that I can so I don't have to bother with idiot cashiers who are forced by their employers to try to sell me everything under the sun as they slowly pass my purchases over a scanner. I am much faster and more efficient than they are. I can get in and get out in 1/3 the time that it takes them to run through their script. The sooner cashiers go entirely extinct, the better.

Well, I don't, because I don't want to encourage robotics and I don't want to participate in creating unemployment. We can only protect ourselves man, the employers aren't gonna do it for us.

Well, I don't, because I don't want to encourage robotics and I don't want to participate in creating unemployment. We can only protect ourselves man, the employers aren't gonna do it for us.

My job isn't at risk, but I have skills that can't be replaced by a machine. Maybe these people ought to gain some legitimate job skills. If you want to stand in the lines with the idiot cashiers, feel free. I've lived in my current house for almost 17 years and at the local Walmart, there are cashiers there that were cashiers when I moved in. These people have been stuck in a crappy job for at least 17 years. They have never been promoted. They have never learned any new skills. They are just swiping products over a scanner with no interest in bettering themselves. You're not protecting them, they're toxic to their own success.

Capitalism has been instrumental to advances in technology. Ironically it will be that technology that may lead to capitalism being unsustainable in the future. Once AI is perfected it will be a whole new game.

LOL people have been saying that since the start of the industrial revolution. The fact is that low skilled jobs have always been about menial pay. If you want to work for a living then you need to learn a specialized skill, its as simple as that. Capitalism will survive, as it always has.

My job isn't at risk, but I have skills that can't be replaced by a machine. Maybe these people ought to gain some legitimate job skills. If you want to stand in the lines with the idiot cashiers, feel free. I've lived in my current house for almost 17 years and at the local Walmart, there are cashiers there that were cashiers when I moved in. These people have been stuck in a crappy job for at least 17 years. They have never been promoted. They have never learned any new skills. They are just swiping products over a scanner with no interest in bettering themselves. You're not protecting them, they're toxic to their own success.

What about your neighbors job? your family members? That's the point. Auto construction and food supply ARE legitimate skills. Driving a 80'000 pond truck at 70 mph IS a legitimate skill. Framing a home IS a legitimate skill, and on and on. We're in this boat because of the "I got mine" attitude that you are displaying now. Taking care of our country means just that: we're ALL the country.

This was bound to happen whether minimum wages went up or not. Just like automotive assembly plants, even the NON union ones, went from 15,000 to 3,000 employees thanks to automation and robots.

My God, it's painful watching Middle Class, Blue Collar Republicans cut their own throats year after year by constantly taking the sides of the Corps and businesses who are doing everything they can to keep their wages and standard of living stagnant.

What about your neighbors job? your family members? That's the point. Auto construction and food supply ARE legitimate skills. Driving a 80'000 pond truck at 70 mph IS a legitimate skill. Framing a home IS a legitimate skill, and on and on. We're in this boat because of the "I got mine" attitude that you are displaying now. Taking care of our country means just that: we're ALL the country.

Compassionate Conservatism is dead and gone.

Compassionate conservatism is a political philosophy that stresses using traditionally conservative techniques and concepts in order to improve the general welfare of society.

Conservatives in this country now believe, F society, they got their and to hell with everyone else.

Slaves are not paid. If someone is paying their slaves then they're an idiot.

Slaves are given room and board, minimum wage workers are not given enough to pay for that so they are worse off than slaves.

LOL people have been saying that since the start of the industrial revolution. The fact is that low skilled jobs have always been about menial pay. If you want to work for a living then you need to learn a specialized skill, its as simple as that. Capitalism will survive, as it always has.

Menial pay for a premium product has got to stop. If companies want humans to work they must pay them enough to live, otherwise we have something worse than slavery. Slaves got fed, clothed and housed.

Slaves are given room and board, minimum wage workers are not given enough to pay for that so they are worse off than slaves.

Really? :lamo

So minimum wage workers are forced to work, raped, whipped, mutilated, forced to give up their children, sold and separated from their families? That's interesting.

That's why college degrees today are meaningless, because everyone is expected to have one. There was a time that only the best and brightest went to college. Today, almost everyone goes, even if they get pointless degrees that mean nothing.

Exactly. And if the so-called "pay wall" were removed, how many career students would we have studying useless garbage on the taxpayer's dime?

Since Reagan, the Republicans have done NOTHING to improve life in this country. The abysmal domestic and foreign policies have have set this country to ruin and it's all because of the new conservative paradigm: religious objectivism.

A more accurate statement might be that, since Reagan and well before Reagan, government has stood in the way of freedom and has damaged American life as a result. You can't really believe that it is partisan. It is about power and control, something both parties seek.

Exactly. And if the so-called "pay wall" were removed, how many career students would we have studying useless garbage on the taxpayer's dime?

I studied useless garbage in college. In my view the benefit I received from a college education was an improved ability to learn. It served me well as I developed ways of making a living myself. I've been self employed for 30 years and I think the improved ability to learn played a part in my ability to do that.

I studied useless garbage in college. In my view the benefit I received from a college education was an improved ability to learn. It served me well as I developed ways of making a living myself. I've been self employed for 30 years and I think the improved ability to learn played a part in my ability to do that.
Are you the exception, or the rule? If people want to study useless garbage, why should I be expected to pay for it? They can damn well pay for it themselves. Or find ways to fund it which don't involve taxpayer largess.

Last edited:
Menial pay for a premium product has got to stop. If companies want humans to work they must pay them enough to live, otherwise we have something worse than slavery. Slaves got fed, clothed and housed.

It is the markets that determines average pay. The markets are all of us, not just companies. If demand outpaces supply in a particular field of employment, then the salary of that particular job will go up. Menial work has always been the lowest paid job in all of history and that will not change, and it is for good reason.

will Wendy's finally remove the fun park gate system and open more than one register now that the system is automated?

They won't need more than one register. The consumer ordering via kiosk or smartphone will be the register.

Back
Top Bottom