• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wendy Davis Filibuster

iacardsfan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Wendy Davis, Texas State Senator, Weighing Future After Abortion Bill Filibuster

This video has a lot of facts that didn't show up on the major networks. She didn't actually get all the way to midnight, but the people in the gallery and her appeal wasted enough time for the vote to take place too late. One thing I will never understand is why do rich males feel they have the knowledge and right to legislate a woman's body? I'm not speaking in favor or against abortion itself, but since when does any male have knowledge of birthing? Shouldn't that be left to the people actually giving birth, not causing them? One last thing that I find interesting and something that Senator Davis pointed out was that Conservatives always complain about too big of government and invasion of privacy, yet here they are trying to legislate a human. One thing I pulled from this was that the people do have a voice not only through elections but actually attending votes. Those people made the difference, and it feels good knowing that I might be able to make an actual difference too.

One thing I will never understand is why do rich males feel they have the knowledge and right to legislate a woman's body?
It has nothing to do with male or female, but rather (usually religious) moral views.

I'm not speaking in favor or against abortion itself, but since when does any male have knowledge of birthing?
...are you trying to say all doctors who deal with pregnancy and childbirth are female?

One last thing that I find interesting and something that Senator Davis pointed out was that Conservatives always complain about too big of government and invasion of privacy, yet here they are trying to legislate a human.
Yup.

One thing I pulled from this was that the people do have a voice not only through elections but actually attending votes. Those people made the difference, and it feels good knowing that I might be able to make an actual difference too.
I'm kind of conflicted on this one. On one hand, disorder like that will make it impossible to get anything done and I don't know that, when it comes to legislation, I feel comfortable with the idea of the end justifying the means.

With that said, given the less than honorable tactics taken to break the filibuster, I'd say it probably came out a wash on that one.

...are you trying to say all doctors who deal with pregnancy and childbirth are female?
No I was talking about physically birthing a baby.

Why should non-drinkers legislate against drinkers, or non-smokers legislate against smoking. Legislators legislate, that's their role, and it would be better if they did it less often.

The Law is going to be passed, she wasted her tine and there was nothing " Democratic" about what she did.

One thing I will never understand is why do rich males feel they have the knowledge and right to legislate a woman's body? I'm not speaking in favor or against abortion itself, but since when does any male have knowledge of birthing? Shouldn't that be left to the people actually giving birth, not causing them? One last thing that I find interesting and something that Senator Davis pointed out was that Conservatives always complain about too big of government and invasion of privacy, yet here they are trying to legislate a human.

I agree with Fenton that nothing the mob in support of Davis' filibuster was, or should be what this country is about. With that said, I find your statement here curious....

You say within it that you are not taking a side on the issue, then the rest of the particular statement is peppered with statements taking a side.....

Why did you feel that you needed to say that you are not taking a side, then do?

I agree with Fenton that nothing the mob in support of Davis' filibuster was, or should be what this country is about. With that said, I find your statement here curious....

You say within it that you are not taking a side on the issue, then the rest of the particular statement is peppered with statements taking a side.....

Why did you feel that you needed to say that you are not taking a side, then do?

The Republican mob who started flagrantly violating the rules, you mean?

I happened to catch Davis' actions on TV, and the reaction of the crowd in the gallery was terrific. I admire the woman for her stand, however futile it might have been.

I'm glad I don't live in Texas.

The Republican mob who started flagrantly violating the rules, you mean?

I am not condoning the Republican's in TX pulling some of the stunts they did during that filibuster, but no, I am talking of the "mob" in the gallery shouting down the proceedings...They did nothing other than delay a vote that will happen.

It has nothing to do with male or female, but rather (usually religious) moral views.

Yup.

I'm kind of conflicted on this one. On one hand, disorder like that will make it impossible to get anything done and I don't know that, when it comes to legislation, I feel comfortable with the idea of the end justifying the means.

With that said, given the less than honorable tactics taken to break the filibuster, I'd say it probably came out a wash on that one.

What less-than-honorable tactics?

What less-than-honorable tactics?
The ridiculous things Republicans tried to claim were in violation of filibuster rules. And, on a related yet different matter, the absolutely wretched way they tried to cheat the law into existence in front of a country who was watching live.

...so now she plans to cash in and get perks for promoting the murder of the unborn. How so very liberally typical.

Something tells me that if it could be predicted that babies were would grow up gay in the womb and people were "choosing" to abort their gay babies, that suddenly all these pro murder leftists would change their opinions on abortion quicker than you could say "fabulous!"

Something tells me that if it could be predicted that babies were would grow up gay in the womb and people were "choosing" to abort their gay babies, that suddenly all these pro murder leftists would change their opinions on abortion quicker than you could say "fabulous!"

What is about free choice that makes you so angry? I thought choice was freedom. Do you really hate freedom that much?

The ridiculous things Republicans tried to claim were in violation of filibuster rules. And, on a related yet different matter, the absolutely wretched way they tried to cheat the law into existence in front of a country who was watching live.

What "ridiculous things"? The Texas Senate's procedural rules are strict, and she appears to have violated them, particularly when she went off-topic about Planned Parenthood and sonograms.

As a conservative, I applaud Davis for standing up against increased government regulation particularly over such a sensitive issue. With an economy still on the brink, unemployment and wages relatively stagnant, .. two wars, another war starting in Syria, it saddens me that this is the type of issues the state governments think they need to foister on the people.

So what are people more upset about: Changing the existing law from 24 weeks to 20 weeks for a ban, or the requirement that abortion clinics be a certified ambulatory clinic?

I am not condoning the Republican's in TX pulling some of the stunts they did during that filibuster, but no, I am talking of the "mob" in the gallery shouting down the proceedings...They did nothing other than delay a vote that will happen.

They were shouting down the proceedings because the Republicans were breaking the rules.

I happened to catch Davis' actions on TV, and the reaction of the crowd in
the gallery was terrific. I admire the woman for her stand, however futile it might have been.

I'm glad I don't live in Texas.

We are glad you don't live here too.

As a conservative, I applaud Davis for

standing up against increased government regulation particularly over such a sensitive issue. With an economy still on the brink, unemployment and wages relatively stagnant, .. two wars, another war starting in Syria, it saddens me that this is the type of issues the state governments think they need to foister on the people.

LOL !!

You are NO Conservative.

The liberal way of getting what they want. Hold their breath, stamp their feet, cry loudly. So very mature of them.
But how else are they going to get their way? Their arguments are so weak they are scared to put them to a vote.

They were shouting down the proceedings because the Republicans were breaking the rules.

No. Davis fell afoul of the "three strikes" rule, thus ending the fillibuster. The Republicans weren't breaking the rules; they were using them.

What is about free choice that makes you so angry? I thought choice was freedom. Do you really hate freedom that much?

The human being in the womb has the right to be born alive

It's not "freedom" when you rob someone else the freedom to be born alive. Freedom isn't murder. Abortion is murder.

The human being in the womb has the right to be born alive

It's not "freedom" when you rob someone else the freedom to be born alive. Freedom isn't murder. Abortion is murder.

if i recall there is somthing called a umbilical cord that connects the baby to the mother. since they are physically connected is it radical to suggest that up untill the baby is born, the baby is Part of the mother?

Yeah, that's who would change their opinion. Not the Republicans hiding behind the label of "Libertarian."

The anti-gay right would suddenly love it.

Back
Top Bottom