• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well this sucks

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Study says e-cigarettes may contain carcinogens similar to regular cigarettes[/h]
  • Dislike

Eric Pfeiffer, Yahoo! News August 27, 2013

Well, It's been awhile since my famioly and friends said you need to stop smoking cigarettes and try those E-CIGARETTES.

I quit smoking regular cigarettes on july 28th my cousin said if I could do it she could do it and started with these E-Cigarettes.

So a month after I start on the E-CIGARETTES some French medical study says they are bad for you?
This **** make you want to start smoking again huh?

Frankly I think this is bull****, just a way to get more money from smokers that are quitting through new regulations.

However what the Hell you pay an arm and leg for cigarettes you pay an arm and leg for quiting cigarettes.

Ladies and Gentlermen I await uyour veiws and comments:peace

[h=1]Study says e-cigarettes may contain carcinogens similar to regular cigarettes[/h]
  • Dislike

Well, It's been awhile since my famioly and friends said you need to stop smoking cigarettes and try those E-CIGARETTES.

I quit smoking regular cigarettes on july 28th my cousin said if I could do it she could do it and started with these E-Cigarettes.

So a month after I start on the E-CIGARETTES some French medical study says they are bad for you?

Frankly I think this is bull****, just a way to get more money from smokers that are quitting through new regulations.

However what the Hell you pay an arm and leg for cigarettes you pay an arm and leg for quiting cigarettes.

Not surprising. But the motivation to quit smoking should be your health. Smoking killed my uncle in his 40's, and it was a grusome painful, agonizing death.

Not surprising. But the motivation to quit smoking should be your health. Smoking killed my uncle in his 40's, and it was a grusome painful, agonizing death.

Ah smoking,, booz, drugs, texting while driving,, unsafe sex , unecessary wars all have blood on their agenda.:peace

I wonder who paid for that study?

No, e-cigarettes are not as harmful as tobacco cigarettes due to the tar.

That's the whole reason I switched to cigars.

I would like to see this study.

• Dislike

The smokers all over the world need to keep smoking.

If they all quit and live longer it will upset a lot of pension plans/schemes.

I wonder who paid for that study?

No, e-cigarettes are not as harmful as tobacco cigarettes due to the tar.

Not sure who paid, but it was done by a French organization called "“60 million Consumers." here's their report.

Electronic cigarettes are "not as safe" as their manufacturers make them out to be and they are “potentially carcinogenic”, according to a report by a French consumer association which may worry France's one million e-cigarette users.

Note that they don't say that e cigarettes are as harmful as regular cigarettes, only that they aren't really "safe."

so, how credible is "60 Million Consumers?" I have no idea.

They also are concerned with alcohol in soft drinks:

60 MILLION CONSUMERS CONFIRMS THE PRESENCE OF ALCOHOL AND SOFT DRINKS

Some traces of alcohol in the drinks... Ten contain alcohol at lower doses, of which the famous Coca - Cola and Pepsi. Of course, this "detail" is not indicated on the label bottles, since French law considers an as being non-alcoholic beverage if it contains no more than 1.2% of alcohol. Whether Coca - Cola Classic or light, the Breton version Breizh Cola, or rival Pepsi classic and max, traces of alcohol were detected by recent analysis commissioned by the national Institute for the consumer.

I'm pretty sure the title should be in soft drinks, not and soft drinks. The rest of the article has some questionable grammar as well, perhaps due to the (lack of) ability of the translator.

Why "traces" of alcohol should be of any concern, I'm not sure.

A friend of mine switched to using a vaporiser a few months back. Apparently, there's entire forums catering to users. He's seen a few different studies that speak to the contrary. He says it's BS. The big tobacco scumbags trying to discredit the competition. I dunno.

A friend of mine switched to using a vaporiser a few months back. Apparently, there's entire forums catering to users. He's seen a few different studies that speak to the contrary. He says it's BS. The big tobacco scumbags trying to discredit the competition. I dunno.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the e-cigs are owned by big tobacco corporations, and they aren't cheap by any means, so I would think they are still maintaining their profit margins. IN fact, governmental bodies getting their cut of taxes are one of the reasons why cigarettes are so damn expensive to begin with. It would be interesting to know just how and where the money trail leads.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the e-cigs are owned by big tobacco corporations, and they aren't cheap by any means, so I would think they are still maintaining their profit margins. IN fact, governmental bodies getting their cut of taxes are one of the reasons why cigarettes are so damn expensive to begin with. It would be interesting to know just how and where the money trail leads.
Other than the swollen coffers of the tobacconists, I have no idea. I didn't know the same guys produced the vaporisers. If so, my friend has it wrong. In that case, the studies in question were likely produced by the medical establishment. I know from experience that doesn't guarantee impartiality.

Well, on the plus side, the faster you die the less you will have to pay to support other people.

Other than the swollen coffers of the tobacconists, I have no idea. I didn't know the same guys produced the vaporisers. If so, my friend has it wrong. In that case, the studies in question were likely produced by the medical establishment. I know from experience that doesn't guarantee impartiality.

Tobacco companies are now embracing electronic cigarettes to help offset the loss of traditional cigarette smokers - even as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration prepares to put forth regulations that could put the skids on the nascent e-cigarette industry.The MarkTen electronic cigarette.
/ Altria
The nation's largest tobacco company, Marlboro-maker Altria Group Inc., announced plans for the release of its electronic cigarette, the "MarkTen," at an investor meeting today. The company's Nu Mark branch will be introduced first in Indiana in August; consumers will have the option of disposable or rechargeable models, and classic or menthol flavors; the experience, executives said, "closely resembles the draw of a cigarette."
Tobacco companies bet on electronic cigarettes - CBS News

Looks like the feds are wanting a good piece of the e cig action as well.

Well, on the plus side, the faster you die the less you will have to pay to support other people.
Depending on who you're referring to, I may not mind.

• Dislike

My father quit smoking (at age 36) and said it was easy. He said you only have to give up one cigarette to quit - the next one. He is now 91 and still not smoking. ;)

There are 2 or 3 brands of e-cigs that are owned by big tobacco. Blu, and Fin are two that I know.

yes, and the less you will take from Medicare and Social Security. Why, with any luck, you can die before age 65 and not cost the government any money at all.

My father quit smoking (at age 36) and said it was easy. He said you only have to give up one cigarette to quit - the next one. He is now 91 and still not smoking. ;)

My father in law, now 92, did the same. The doc said he'd die if he didn't stop. That sounds like pretty good motivation to me.

There are 2 or 3 brands of e-cigs that are owned by big tobacco. Blu, and Fin are two that I know.
Right. I should have considered that they'd look to recoup the loss.

The cartels must believe they're cursed by now. lulz For once I'm actually cheering the government. I hope they make life hell for the soulless bastards. According to my friend, there's a ton of flavours you can get. Peanut butter, even, if you can believe that.

To the bolded: not me. Never. They are a giant black hole where money goes, and then disappears, without ever having accomplished anything constructive.

yes, and the less you will take from Medicare and Social Security. Why, with any luck, you can die before age 65 and not cost the government any money at all.

Brilliant. I agree. We should put even more chemicals in them--I am thinking ground up castor beans because we can then call it organic-e-arettes!!!!!

To the bolded: not me. Never. They are a giant black hole where money goes, and then disappears, without ever having accomplished anything constructive.
No enemy of my enemy?

Back
Top Bottom