• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well played Nancy! Pelosi suggests Trump postpone SOTU or submit it in writing

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Can't personally stand Nancy Pelosi, but she is a much more cunning politician than Trump will ever be. She has sent Trump a letter suggesting that the State of the Union address be postponed or submitted in writing because of the government shutdown. She supports the suggestion by pointing out what would be needed by government employees to pull off the event.

https://www.speaker.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Letter-to-President-Trump-SOTU.pdf

Trump is losing this shutdown fight.

Submit it in writing and have Alec Baldwin perform it instead of Trump, let’s get take the clown show to the next level.

Being a parent is tough. When you are dealing with a kid like Trump, who is just spoiled rotten, sometimes you really need to put your foot down. I think Pelosi is doing a good job so far.

Can't personally stand Nancy Pelosi, but she is a much more cunning politician than Trump will ever be. She has sent Trump a letter suggesting that the State of the Union address be postponed or submitted in writing because of the government shutdown. She supports the suggestion by pointing out what would be needed by government employees to pull off the event.

https://www.speaker.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Letter-to-President-Trump-SOTU.pdf

Well, the State of the Union address only has to be in writing. It never has had to be some grandiose public affair of pomp and circumstance and the trappings of an Imperial Presidency as it has developed into, where the President is treated as a Monarch in all but name instead of simply the Chief Administrative Officer of the Executive Branch. So I actually agree with Nancy Pelosi. Let him submit it in writing. And let every State of the Union Address be submitted in writing henceforth.

I agree that she is trying to goad him into giving it but I dont think it's a winning strategy for her. Trump should absolutely give the speech and make his case of what he wants to happen at the border and why we need it to happen. If he does that successfully it will backfire on the Democrats. If he bungles it she will be a genius

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well, the State of the Union address only has to be in writing. It never has had to be some grandiose public affair of pomp and circumstance and the trappings of an Imperial Presidency as it has developed into, where the President is treated as a Monarch in all but name instead of simply the Chief Administrative Officer of the Executive Branch. So I actually agree with Nancy Pelosi. Let him submit it in writing. And let every State of the Union Address be submitted in writing henceforth.
He is gonna fill his seats with angel parents

"Dear Nancy,

Thank you for your suggestion. Go pound sand.

Sincerely,

President Donald J. Trump"

I agree that she is trying to goad him into giving it but I dont think it's a winning strategy for her. Trump should absolutely give the speech and make his case of what he wants to happen at the border and why we need it to happen. If he does that successfully it will backfire on the Democrats. If he bungles it she will be a genius

Does it successfully? Maybe in bizarro world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pomp and trappings of an Imperial Presidency! How could Trump resist? That sounds right up his alley. Trump is all drama and fanfare and show, with little to no substance.

I believe that Parliament has a procedure wherein the Prime Minister must sit before the assembled body and answer questions. I always thought we should have something like that. The President has to stand before Congress and answer all their questions.

Pomp and trappings of an Imperial Presidency! How could Trump resist? That sounds right up his alley. Trump is all drama and fanfare and show, with little to no substance.

I believe that Parliament has a procedure wherein the Prime Minister must sit before the assembled body and answer questions. I always thought we should have something like that. The President has to stand before Congress and answer all their questions.

It’s coming soon to a Congress near you!

"Dear Nancy,

Sincerely,

Bahaha….if Trump could even manage that level of civility, you guys wouldn't be in this mess... :lol:

Pelosi and the Democrats are definitely not losing the shutdown. The public continues to be on their side, both in blaming Trump/GOP for the shutdown, and in opposition to the wall. I wouldn't mind there never being another televised SOTU again, and having them all submitted in writing. The absurdity of pausing to have the party of the President give standing ovations at even the slightest mention of a policy idea they favor is nonsensical.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/16/most-americans-oppose-wall-and-oppose-ending-shutdown-by-funding-it/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4250bcf7420c

Most Americans oppose the wall — and oppose ending the shutdown by funding it

A poll from Pew Research Center released Wednesday shows that opposition to the wall continues to be robust. Forty percent of respondents favor an expansion of the wall, Pew found, with a 58 percent majority opposing it.

But Pew went a step further, revealing particularly bad news for Trump and the Republicans. Pew then asked respondents whether they would be willing to see the shutdown end by compromising their position. That is, if you oppose the wall, would you support ending the shutdown by spending money on its construction or, if you support the wall, would you approve of ending the shutdown by giving up on funding it?

About 7 in 10 of those who support the wall said they would oppose any compromise. But nearly 9 in 10 of those who oppose the wall said they, too, wanted to stick to their guns — meaning that, overall, more than half the country both opposes the wall and opposes compromising on that position.

Meh...people are dug in at this point. A grand SOTU speech will change no minds.

Most of the time I just read the transcript anyway as the orchestrated applause breaks are distracting, annoying and tiresome. So I’m fine with it being submitted in writing, especially since doing it in person is going to require a LOT of unpaid security and support personnel.

It should be in writing. No sense in Trump reading Stephen Miller's speech when we can get it straight from the source.

Or he can probably just talk to FOX who will give him an hour or so to make the speech on their network. He’ll have fulfilled his obligation and pissed a bunch of whining liberals off in the process. It will be a fine “win” for him.

Or he can probably just talk to FOX who will give him an hour or so to make the speech on their network. He’ll have fulfilled his obligation and pissed a bunch of whining liberals off in the process. It will be a fine “win” for him.

Why would the liberals care? If he goes on Fox or on all networks, his speech will still be red meat for the people who already watch Fox in the first place.

I disagree I think many are just casual observers of what's going on.

I'd say polling data and historical trends of partisan divides and how rarely these divides shift once established disagree.

I do agree that most are casual observers though. But even they are typically unmoved from their position once established. And generally speaking, these casual observers are also largely apathetic to politics on the whole, so there is rarely some grand persuasion that can move them from their position of apathy.

"Dear Nancy,

Sincerely,

Only in your FANTASIES does he have those kind of balls. He will have an underling tell her, he's a ***** and you know it. You won't admit it but you know it and it chaps your hide, so you pretend he has credibility. Pathetic!:2rofll:

After her and Chucks hilariously creepy American Gothic meets The Munsters impression after Trumps last speech i can see why she doesn't want to go back on TV for rebuttal.

After her and Chucks hilariously creepy American Gothic meets The Munsters impression after Trumps last speech i can see why she doesn't want to go back on TV for rebuttal.

Yeah, that was brutal. Yet the American public approved of their speech over Trump's nonetheless.

As for a rebuttal to the SOTU, assuming it happens, it won't come from one of them. It will come from someone else in the party.

Yeah, that was brutal. Yet the American public approved of their speech over Trump's nonetheless.

As for a rebuttal to the SOTU, assuming it happens, it won't come from one of them. It will come from someone else in the party.

Do you have a link to the approval ratings? The only numbers I saw had the toxic twins benefiting from viewers tuning back in for regularly scheduled programming to inflate their horror show rebuttal

"Dear Nancy,

Sincerely,

If she says no it's a no she's giving him an out. The speaker of the house invited the president he has no other right to be there.
Maybe that's what her letter to him should have said.

Back
Top Bottom