• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well played Nancy! Pelosi suggests Trump postpone SOTU or submit it in writing

Nice to meet another reasonable person. Most here consider me to lean right but I like to think I am fair minded. I look forward to exchanging points of view with you in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The feeling is mutual. I’m very open to logic and reason, much more so than partisan perspective. And believe it or not, but I’m very much a self-identified conservative, in particular with fiscal issues and limiting the size and scope of government.

My fiscal conservative ideology is one of many reasons why I vehemently oppose Trump on a great number of policy issues. Not all though. I do, however oppose him in full because of my beliefs in morality, integrity, and ethics.

Unfortunately I am currently without party as a result of my principled beliefs.

But I very much look forward to more good discussions!

I agree that she is trying to goad him into giving it but I dont think it's a winning strategy for her. Trump should absolutely give the speech and make his case of what he wants to happen at the border and why we need it to happen. If he does that successfully it will backfire on the Democrats. If he bungles it she will be a genius

He has the power of the microphone every single day to put his case out there to the public. He surely doesn't need a spotlight on him and unwilling, silent hostages sitting in front of him in the House listening to his demeaning, demanding and disparaging attacks on the democratic House. They have no rebuttal time, they have no microphones or cameras pointed at them. That's 100% pure Trump bull**** propaganda.

And by the way the House has submitted three separate CR bills that ALL included money designated specifically for his wall. It wasn't the 5.5 billion, it was 1.6 billion. But, McConnell refused to do his job and bring it to Trump. Even if he knew that Trump wouldn't sign it, it is still his obligation and duty to present it to him. He's blocking everything, he's an obstructionist.

What has Trump offered as a compromise? Has he offered a pathway for citizenship for the Dreamers or an extension for DACA in exchange for border security and money for his wall? NO, he hasn't given anything, not a single damned thing. Everyone is demanding for Congress to work together in a bipartisan way and for each side to make some sort of compromise, but Trump wants it his way or no way at all. SO BE IT.

Paraphrasing Congressman Schiff, "The best case that would disprove Trump's claim that he's not a Russian asset would be if the Russians called and told him "slow down, you're too obvious. They're going to be on to you."

Last edited:
Can't personally stand Nancy Pelosi, but she is a much more cunning politician than Trump will ever be. She has sent Trump a letter suggesting that the State of the Union address be postponed or submitted in writing because of the government shutdown. She supports the suggestion by pointing out what would be needed by government employees to pull off the event.

https://www.speaker.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Letter-to-President-Trump-SOTU.pdf

Trump is losing this shutdown fight.

How is this a win for Nancy?

Trump loves the spotlight. The SOTU is a big spotlight. I think you can figure out the rest.

Nutty Nancy is just looking more like an obstructionist boar.

I agree that she is trying to goad him into giving it but I dont think it's a winning strategy for her. Trump should absolutely give the speech and make his case of what he wants to happen at the border and why we need it to happen. If he does that successfully it will backfire on the Democrats. If he bungles it she will be a genius

Trump already made his case. He was given prime time airways to do it. He bombed. The polls showed that he moved the needle by 2 points, well within the margin of error.

Trump loves the spotlight. The SOTU is a big spotlight. I think you can figure out the rest.

No, I cant. You think Trump has trouble getting attention? Seems like a childish move designed to excite the childish liberal base.

No, I cant. You think Trump has trouble getting attention? Seems like a childish move designed to excite the childish liberal base.

This isn't about attention. He tweets and gets that. Its about getting to run his mouth in front of Congress.

Translation: Nancy is letting America know that there are powers held by Congress to rein in a president. Maybe Republicans should take notes?

She has no obligation to provide him a setting for a show. He can fulfill his obligation to report to the nation in writing (in Steve Miller's writing, I mean)

All presidents use the State of the Union address for a show and it has always happened no matter how much the other side dislikes the president. Hell, even the far right Republicans allowed Obama to give his speech. It just shows how radical the left have become and how they see themselves as nothing but 100% pure resistance.

This isn't about attention. He tweets and gets that. Its about getting to run his mouth in front of Congress.

Its childishness that appeals only to the nutty liberal base.

She's a grandma of nine kids. Well used to dealing with toddler tantrums.

No matter how Trump responds, he ends up looking bad, which is an (admittedly softball) political win for her. Any democrat could have pulled it off. She just happens to have been in a position to take advantage of it, and had the wherewithal to do so:

If Trump doesn't give the SOTU address, he looks subordinate to Nancy Pelosi. If he does, it is likely to backfire spectacularly thanks to his inability to pay the people necessary for it and his pathological need to insist that he is "doing a fantastic job."

The only way he could have prevented this (now inevitable) win for democrats would have been for him to declare that he wasn't going to give the SOTU address out of respect for the furloughed workers BEFORE she had the chance to suggest this to him. Now that she has, he's already lost this battle. Day late and a dollar short for Mr. Trump, I guess.

She's a grandma of nine kids. Well used to dealing with toddler tantrums.

And used to using reverse psychology to get angry children to do exactly what she wants them to.

All presidents use the State of the Union address for a show and it has always happened no matter how much the other side dislikes the president. Hell, even the far right Republicans allowed Obama to give his speech. It just shows how radical the left have become and how they see themselves as nothing but 100% pure resistance.

I guess that is the view of a "moderate" lol.

Trump's behavior might need a firmer hand than Obama's ever did. Obama never shut down the government, making it impossible to hold an event that was required to have FULL Security...called for by his own cabinet.

No matter how Trump responds, he ends up looking bad, which is an (admittedly softball) political win for her. Any democrat could have pulled it off. She just happens to have been in a position to take advantage of it, and had the wherewithal to do so:

If Trump doesn't give the SOTU address, he looks subordinate to Nancy Pelosi. If he does, it is likely to backfire spectacularly thanks to his inability to pay the people necessary for it and his pathological need to insist that he is "doing a fantastic job."

The only way he could have prevented this (now inevitable) win for democrats would have been for him to declare that he wasn't going to give the SOTU address out of respect for the furloughed workers BEFORE she had the chance to suggest this to him. Now that she has, he's already lost this battle. Day late and a dollar short for Mr. Trump, I guess.

You need to start charging Trump for the space he is occupying in your brain

You need to start charging Trump for the space he is occupying in your brain

Nah. Both he and Pelosi are welcome there free of charge as long as he is president.

You keep repeating that erroneous statement. The House has passed bills to end the shutdown. The House has offered to separately negotiate on the wall. Trump has declared No.
It's his shutdown, and his lack of negotiating. Why can't you own it?
LOL, not erroneous at all. Everyone knows that if the Dems separate the wall from the shutdown they will never talk about it again.

LOL, not erroneous at all. Everyone knows that if the Dems separate the wall from the shutdown they will never talk about it again.

And you know that how? Trump said so?

I think the democrats are quite interested in negotiating border security, and going the best way possible. That way may or may not include a wall. Is Trump willing to defend the border in other ways, and forego his "beautiful" wall? I don't think so.

And you know that how? Trump said so?
Nope, from long experience reading and watch the political landscape.

JMR said:
I think the democrats are quite interested in negotiating border security, and going the best way possible. That way may or may not include a wall. Is Trump willing to defend the border in other ways, and forego his "beautiful" wall? I don't think so.
The talk a good game, but propose nothing of value. Trump IS also seeking funding to hire more CMP officers, more technology, improved temporary lodging and medical care for asylum seekers and technology upgrades. His plan is not to build a wall and disappear over the horizon.

The Democrats are scared ****less. :lamo

Trump already made his case. He was given prime time airways to do it. He bombed. The polls showed that he moved the needle by 2 points, well within the margin of error.
He gets to make it again if he wishes he is our potus

He has the power of the microphone every single day to put his case out there to the public. He surely doesn't need a spotlight on him and unwilling, silent hostages sitting in front of him in the House listening to his demeaning, demanding and disparaging attacks on the democratic House. They have no rebuttal time, they have no microphones or cameras pointed at them. That's 100% pure Trump bull**** propaganda.

And by the way the House has submitted three separate CR bills that ALL included money designated specifically for his wall. It wasn't the 5.5 billion, it was 1.6 billion. But, McConnell refused to do his job and bring it to Trump. Even if he knew that Trump wouldn't sign it, it is still his obligation and duty to present it to him. He's blocking everything, he's an obstructionist.

What has Trump offered as a compromise? Has he offered a pathway for citizenship for the Dreamers or an extension for DACA in exchange for border security and money for his wall? NO, he hasn't given anything, not a single damned thing. Everyone is demanding for Congress to work together in a bipartisan way and for each side to make some sort of compromise, but Trump wants it his way or no way at all. SO BE IT.

Paraphrasing Congressman Schiff, "The best case that would disprove Trump's claim that he's not a Russian asset would be if the Russians called and told him "slow down, you're too obvious. They're going to be on to you."

Trump is free to use the sotu speech to reach out and inform everyone about the need at the border, what he is asking for to help and what the Democrats are doing to sabotage his efforts.

Dont worry the Democrats will be given an opportunity to respond.

As for the offers to fund the wall, I am skeptical that they are real. Pelosi has already pledged that she will not allow trump to have any money for a wall. I dont what source you're using but you may want to double check it.

Let's not rewrite history trump has already stated that is agreeable to amnesty for DACA in exchange for them giving him his full asking price and the Democrats rejected his offer along with many Republicans who adamantly oppose amnesty.

Now here they sit stalemated because the house can only write the Bill's but they cant sign them into law. For that they will need to kiss his ring and pay his tribute.

Nah. Both he and Pelosi are welcome there free of charge as long as he is president.
A short term lease with nonrefundable damage deposit?

Back
Top Bottom