• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well played Nancy! Pelosi suggests Trump postpone SOTU or submit it in writing

Nancy has the power to make Trump have to choose a different venue. Trump has to have her permission to give an address in the House chamber.

Edit: I should have read the text of her letter first. She already issued the invite two weeks ... and hasn't exactly rescinded it. She's being impressively diplomatic in her language.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the approval ratings? The only numbers I saw had the toxic twins benefiting from viewers tuning back in for regularly scheduled programming to inflate their horror show rebuttal

Here you go...

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2592

President Trump's TV address to the nation last week was "mostly misleading," 49 percent of American voters say, while 32 percent say it was "mostly accurate."

Voters are divided on the response by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer as 38 percent found it "mostly accurate" and 39 percent found it "mostly misleading."

American voters believed Pelosi/Schumer more than Trump 46 - 36 percent, including 48 - 33 percent among independent voters.

Only 2 percent of voters say the TV address changed their mind, while 89 percent say it did not change their mind about building the Wall.

"When it comes to the televised arguments for and against the need for a border wall, President Donald Trump flunks the fact meter, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer don't fare much better," Malloy said.

She should say she'll let pence do the negotiations.

Alone with pelosi.

Checkmate!

Thank you I.had.not seen this

No worries. With the slew of recent polls coming out dealing with the public's opinion on the shutdown, the border wall, etc., it is easy for one to get lost in the shuffle.

On...off...on...who knows.

This is why you don't listen to talking potato heads...including those in Congress.

“Yup,” Hoyer replied. “The speaker is the one who invites the president to speak in the joint session and she has said as long as the government is shut down we’re not going to be doing business as usual…”

“The State of the Union is off?” Bolduan interjected for clarity.

“The State of the Union is off,” Hoyer repeated in affirmation.

Shortly after the interview, Hoyer’s office released a statement saying he “misunderstood” Pelosi’s letter since he didn’t read it yet and wasn’t aware that it wasn’t a formal disinvitation.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/house-m...er-says-on-cnn-the-state-of-the-union-is-off/

On...off...on...who knows.

This is why you don't listen to talking potato heads...including those in Congress.

Yep, seems I fell for it.

I'd say polling data and historical trends of partisan divides and how rarely these divides shift once established disagree.

I do agree that most are casual observers though. But even they are typically unmoved from their position once established. And generally speaking, these casual observers are also largely apathetic to politics on the whole, so there is rarely some grand persuasion that can move them from their position of apathy.
I agree with what your saying. Where I diverge is in the idea the polls are all die hard people entrenched in their positions. Many people have more important things going on in their lives to pay attention to what's going on in DC beyond the headlines of the media. Some of them will stop long enough to listen to s presidential speech and those peoples minds can be changed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree with what your saying. Where I diverge is in the idea the polls are all die hard people entrenched in their positions. Many people have more important things going on in their lives to pay attention to what's going on in DC beyond the headlines of the media. Some of them will stop long enough to listen to s presidential speech and those peoples minds can be changed

That is a fair point. I see what you're saying.

Can't personally stand Nancy Pelosi, but she is a much more cunning politician than Trump will ever be. She has sent Trump a letter suggesting that the State of the Union address be postponed or submitted in writing because of the government shutdown. She supports the suggestion by pointing out what would be needed by government employees to pull off the event.

https://www.speaker.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Letter-to-President-Trump-SOTU.pdf

Trump is losing this shutdown fight.

Translation: Nancy is scared Trump will use the address to make Democrats look bad.

That is a fair point. I see what you're saying.
Nice to meet another reasonable person. Most here consider me to lean right but I like to think I am fair minded. I look forward to exchanging points of view with you in the future.

As a piece of political theatre it is a fine suggestion, but in the end they should all go through with a state of the Union as planned. Frankly I think the Dems have more to gain by letting the president ramble his way through a rosy homage to his own presidency while everyone can see the damage he's doing - doubly ironic if the shutdown is still causing problems while he does it.

Well, the State of the Union address only has to be in writing. It never has had to be some grandiose public affair of pomp and circumstance and the trappings of an Imperial Presidency as it has developed into, where the President is treated as a Monarch in all but name instead of simply the Chief Administrative Officer of the Executive Branch. So I actually agree with Nancy Pelosi. Let him submit it in writing. And let every State of the Union Address be submitted in writing henceforth.

I'm OK with that. I read somewhere that between Jefferson and Wilson that's how it was done.

I agree that she is trying to goad him into giving it but I dont think it's a winning strategy for her. Trump should absolutely give the speech and make his case of what he wants to happen at the border and why we need it to happen. If he does that successfully it will backfire on the Democrats. If he bungles it she will be a genius

The President can make his speech from the Oval Office, or put it in writing. His own Dept. of Homeland Security has listed criteria for security that cannot be met for A State of the Union Address...because of the shutdown and lack of secret service resources.

Or he can probably just talk to FOX who will give him an hour or so to make the speech on their network. He’ll have fulfilled his obligation and pissed a bunch of whining liberals off in the process. It will be a fine “win” for him.

I think that is an excellent idea! And all of the people who tune into Fox can watch, and the majority of the country which does not, won't. I won't be pissed at all.

Is that the major consideration of everything these days? Will it piss off the liberals?

Can't personally stand Nancy Pelosi, but she is a much more cunning politician than Trump will ever be. She has sent Trump a letter suggesting that the State of the Union address be postponed or submitted in writing because of the government shutdown. She supports the suggestion by pointing out what would be needed by government employees to pull off the event.

https://www.speaker.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Letter-to-President-Trump-SOTU.pdf

Trump is losing this shutdown fight.
Not sure trying to make political points based on government employees suffering really constitutes "winning". Particularly when she refuses to negotiate a solution to getting them back on the payroll.

The President can make his speech from the Oval Office, or put it in writing. His own Dept. of Homeland Security has listed criteria for security that cannot be met for A State of the Union Address...because of the shutdown and lack of secret service resources.
All true but he should do it exactly from where its traditionally done and expose her false flag BS. Secret service will be there. Security concerns are bogus and he should expose them for bring that

I think that is an excellent idea! And all of the people who tune into Fox can watch, and the majority of the country which does not, won't. I won't be pissed at all.

Is that the major consideration of everything these days? Will it piss off the liberals?

The pissing off liberals thing really isn't that important but it's kind of like the sprinkles on a cupcake, it just makes everything a little bit more fun.

Translation: Nancy is scared Trump will use the address to make Democrats look bad.

Translation: Nancy is letting America know that there are powers held by Congress to rein in a president. Maybe Republicans should take notes?

She has no obligation to provide him a setting for a show. He can fulfill his obligation to report to the nation in writing (in Steve Miller's writing, I mean)

Our President will stay on track and proceed with the State of the Union Address as scheduled. Nancy's letter will be placed as it's called...in the trashcan. She and her cult,the lowly liberal/Demos will continue this shutdown despite the inconveniences it is causing financially to the workers. It's important for our President to send a message to these Demos during the Address and point out to America and the world that they will continue the shutdown w/out a care.
The Wall will be built.

All true but he should do it exactly from where its traditionally done and expose her false flag BS. Secret service will be there. Security concerns are bogus and he should expose them for bring that

HIS Homeland Security Secretary outlined the events...State Funeral..Inauguration..State of the Union...which require ALL Hands on Deck from Secret Service and others. Should they disregard those policies? Traditionally....Jeffesrson to Wilson...it was done in writing.

The pissing off liberals thing really isn't that important but it's kind of like the sprinkles on a cupcake, it just makes everything a little bit more fun.

At least you're honest about it, or trying to be. I think it's a lot more important to some of your fellowship.

Not sure trying to make political points based on government employees suffering really constitutes "winning". Particularly when she refuses to negotiate a solution to getting them back on the payroll.

You keep repeating that erroneous statement. The House has passed bills to end the shutdown. The House has offered to separately negotiate on the wall. Trump has declared No.
It's his shutdown, and his lack of negotiating. Why can't you own it?

Back
Top Bottom