• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well, I did it

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I joined an online dating site.

Wish me luck.. I'm not sure what to expect.

I just got called by a local dating site and they wanted to charge me $1300!!!

I laughingly said no thank you.

Good luck, TGND! Which one did you join?

match.com

They had better not want me to pay that kind of money...

If I were single, I'd only charge you half that TGND.

match.com

They had better not want me to pay that kind of money...

I tried both match.com and eHarmony.com with no positive results. Then again, I am fat, lazy and I smoke.

I did have a match on eHarmony that resulted in our having a free-form discussion and we decided to meet for dinner...Since it had been 9 years since I had had a date! I decided to get her some flowers. Well...when I gave them to her, she actually frowned, hesitated a sec and said "do you always give flowers on your first date". Things went downhill from there. She is actually into politics and so she spent all of dinner talking about how wonderful Bill O'Reilly is... I am kind conservative on some issues, but COME ON! We did not pursue a second date. :)

Good luck! Take a chance. Enjoy yourself.

Good Luck! BTW, did you try that plenty of fish site? It is free too.

Good luck! I have a few friends who've tried online dating and they all seem to think it was worthwhile. I have a sneaking suspicion that another couple I know (who just got married) met online, though they haven't explicitly said so.

I tried both match.com and eHarmony.com with no positive results. Then again, I am fat, lazy and I smoke.

I did have a match on eHarmony that resulted in our having a free-form discussion and we decided to meet for dinner...Since it had been 9 years since I had had a date! I decided to get her some flowers. Well...when I gave them to her, she actually frowned, hesitated a sec and said "do you always give flowers on your first date". Things went downhill from there. She is actually into politics and so she spent all of dinner talking about how wonderful Bill O'Reilly is... I am kind conservative on some issues, but COME ON! We did not pursue a second date. :)

Wow, you're like my opposite in romance. When I met my wife, I just sorta moved in with her two weeks later, I don't think we have had a date yet.

Good Luck TGND. I wish I could offer relationship advice, but I have yet to figure out how they work.

Wow, you're like my opposite in romance. When I met my wife, I just sorta moved in with her two weeks later, I don't think we have had a date yet.

LOL! Yeah, I am pretty bad with the date thing. I was damn good at the casual hook-up thing and sometimes that turned exclusive for awhile. I wasn't always fat and lazy - used to be pretty sexy. Damn! What I wouldn't give to be 23 again! ;)

I joined an online dating site.

Wish me luck.. I'm not sure what to expect.

My sister met an absolutely wonderful guy on a dating site.

I also know someone who met Mr. Goodbar.

Keep your eyes wide open. Stay safe. Have fun!!!

LOL! Yeah, I am pretty bad with the date thing. I was damn good at the casual hook-up thing and sometimes that turned exclusive for awhile. I wasn't always fat and lazy - used to be pretty sexy. Damn! What I wouldn't give to be 23 again! ;)

I am glad you loled, after I posted, I realized that I was probably insensitive in my response. Sorry about that, I tend to speak my mind and forget that it can sometimes upset people. :(

I am glad you loled, after I posted, I realized that I was probably insensitive in my response. Sorry about that, I tend to speak my mind and forget that it can sometimes upset people. :(

No need to apologize. We just aren't as different as the date thing was more of an exception, than the rule. I think I tried too hard to do the date thing with the flowers. :) She could have lightened the **** up, however.

No need to apologize. We just aren't as different as the date thing was more of an exception, than the rule. I think I tried too hard to do the date thing with the flowers. :) She could have lightened the **** up, however.

She was probably nervous too.
Truth be known, the entire situation sounds unspeakable awkward (not your situation in particular, the whole "meeting a stranger for a blind date" situation in general).
I'd probably join a convent before I'd join an online dating service.

Yeah well, I suppose it's a good thing you're married and your kids are grown then. On the other hand, I work an incredible amount of hours and have young teens... I don't have a lot of time to meet new people without it being 'strangers on a blind date'. It's frustrating as hell and a convent might be around the corner.. but I'm not dead yet.

She was probably nervous too.
Truth be known, the entire situation sounds unspeakable awkward (not your situation in particular, the whole "meeting a stranger for a blind date" situation in general).

The frustrating thing for me is that I reached out to contact many, many women on the dating site (eHarmony in particular), like 100s, and I only got 2 that reached the stage of chatting/emailing each other. I must have had a truly dreadful profile to keep women from even contacting me and "checking the waters". I got tired of putting good money after bad.

What is the male equivalent of a convent?

The frustrating thing for me is that I reached out to contact many, many women on the dating site (eHarmony in particular), like 100s, and I only got 2 that reached the stage of chatting/emailing each other. I must have had a truly dreadful profile to keep women from even contacting me and "checking the waters". I got tired of putting good money after bad.

Perhaps you need some duck lips and to take your pic at a weird angle.

Perhaps you need some duck lips and to take your pic at a weird angle.

Yeah, I think it was the beard that did me in. They probably thought I was fundamentalist. :2razz:

Have you considered there may be a thousand men to every one woman on the dating site?
That would explain the lack of interest in and response to your profile.
Each woman may have hundreds and hundreds of male profiles to choose from.
They may be literally bombarded with contacts.

Monastery. :lol:

i was intrigued by a story my son shared with me. he and his best friend were both geeks while in school together. his buddy created a profile on a dating site, but became frustrated after a couple of months that he had not received any interest. my son looked at the profile and recognized that it was awful. so, he created a new profile for him, and ran it past his friend's sisters first, for accuracy. before creating the profile, he researched the net to identify the things which most attracted women on dating sites. using that information he launched the new profile. the hits were near immediate. within the first hours there were two young women who wanted to meet the friend
his buddy was livid ... at first. then he recognized the sheer volume of interest which had been generated, soon realizing the dating opportunities before him
but the point is while the old site generated no hits over months, the new profile - the one tailored to focus on the things women were interested in - was receiving in excess of 20 leads daily
(for men) your photo (not just a head shot) should not be one where you are staring directly into the lens. look away. if it is an action/athletic photo, then extra style points are generated. if you have a dog or kids in the photo, that is a plus
the number one thing women look for in the profile is someone who likes to travel. a sense of humor is a positive. confidence is a must

so, you may want to tweak your profile a bit and try to tailor it to make evident those aspects of yourself which women find attractive

boot camp

Good ideas, Justabubba.
I did find this article, although some of the tips in it would seem to be no-brainers:

Profile Tips - Build a Better Online Dating Profile

Uh... and some of it's just plain bad advice, upon closer scrutiny.
For instance, don't do this. Just- please- don't.

"Use clever words that are descriptive. Instead of saying "on hot days I like to go to the ocean or on a hike," say, "on a sizzling day my adventurous side leads me to traversing the ocean on a sailboat or discovering a new waterfall that I can cool off under."

Instead of "I like to discover new things," say, "I'm a lot like Indiana Jones in that I love exploring the mysteries of life, while educating my mind to appreciate new things."

:doh

Last edited:
Yeah well, I suppose it's a good thing you're married and your kids are grown then. On the other hand, I work an incredible amount of hours and have young teens... I don't have a lot of time to meet new people without it being 'strangers on a blind date'. It's frustrating as hell and a convent might be around the corner.. but I'm not dead yet.

I met J on match.com over 2 and a half years ago. Good luck! Just like anything, there are some real duds on there, and some really great guys. I think it works better in places like where you and I both live (the midwest, the south, medium-sized cities, etc.) than it does in big cities. It works pretty well, I think for people our age who have kids, jobs, etc, and are too busy to be out in the bar scene every weekend.

My one piece of advice would be this: Don't wait for guys to contact you. If you see a guy who looks interesting, message him. And, trust your gut. IF a guy gives you the heebies, trust it. He's 99% likely to be a creeper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom