• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Well Done Australia! Tony Abbott ousts Labor

wbcoleman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The lesson from Tony Abbott's victory in Australia: Tories, stop drifting to the soggy centre – Telegraph Blogs

Well done Australia! A centre-Right party manages to win a landslide election by standing to cut immigration, lower taxes, end the obsession with CO2 emissions and reduce foreign aid.

Who would have thought it, eh? Not, it would seem, those in Britain who have spent the past two decades trying to convince the Tory party that the way to win elections is to drift towards the soggy centre.

The lesson from Tony Abbott's victory in Australia: Tories, stop drifting to the soggy centre – Telegraph Blogs

Well done Australia! A centre-Right party manages to win a landslide election by standing to cut immigration, lower taxes, end the obsession with CO2 emissions and reduce foreign aid.

Who would have thought it, eh? Not, it would seem, those in Britain who have spent the past two decades trying to convince the Tory party that the way to win elections is to drift towards the soggy centre.

Had nothing to do with anything of this. It had to do with the people were tired of the sitting ruling party and switched them out with the only alternative and people will soon realize that they switched one moron out with another... only this new guy is a religious fanatic who hates women and gays.

Some of his quotes are ... mindboggling..

‘I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons’

He is not what Australian needed or wanted, but there was no alternative to the morons that were running the soap opera... but congrats to the fanatical religious right, you got a man in an important position.. and I hope to god he does not deliver on some of the wacked out crazy things he actually believes in.

Had nothing to do with anything of this. It had to do with the people were tired of the sitting ruling party and switched them out with the only alternative and people will soon realize that they switched one moron out with another... only this new guy is a religious fanatic who hates women and gays.

He is not what Australian needed or wanted, but there was no alternative to the morons that were running the soap opera... but congrats to the fanatical religious right, you got a man in an important position.. and I hope to god he does not deliver on some of the wacked out crazy things he actually believes in.

Hey, didn't Julia Gillard rather famously denounce him barely a year ago? It's not as if the Australian voters don't know who he is. And while the election wasn't a rout, it was pretty convincing!

The problem with his anti-immigration stance is ...the immigrants are Asians.
Asians have one of the best work ethics are smarter and better equipped to advance the country technologically.
Go ahead get rid of the people more prone to be engineers, doctors etc. because what Australia needs ...is more alligator wrestlers!!:lamo

Hmm... cut immigration, lower taxes, end the obsession with CO2 emissions and reduce foreign aid.

That just could be the answer for the Republicans in this country who seem to be wondering how to get back into power.

Some ideas can be popular in more than one nation.

Hmm... cut immigration, lower taxes, end the obsession with CO2 emissions and reduce foreign aid.

That just could be the answer for the Republicans in this country who seem to be wondering how to get back into power.

Some ideas can be popular in more than one nation.

There is an eery parallel, isn't there?

Ever notice how major countries around the world are slowly turning towards the right, after a lot of abject failure from progressives? Why is America (and her ignorant citizens) trying so hard to dive to the left?

Ever notice how major countries around the world are slowly
turning towards the right, after a lot of abject failure from progressives? Why is America (and her ignorant citizens) trying so hard to dive to the left?

Yep, these things run in cycles.

People either forget how bad the last Liberal government was or a new generation wasn't around when that Government ruined everything.

So they believe the liberals lies and learn the hard way.

Not sure what's wrong with this quote:

‘I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons’

Sounds perfectly logical. Should we expect that women will ever approach equal representation in the National Football League? Would that be a reasonable expectation?

Not sure what's wrong with this quote:

Sounds perfectly logical. Should we expect that women will ever approach equal representation in the National Football League? Would that be a reasonable expectation?

There are so many things wrong with this quote, especially taken in context of all the other comments and views on women and women's rights...

Like it or not, equal representation in all areas of society must be a goal.. sure it might not happen, but putting up barriers like he does with this comment, does not help one bit. He basically is saying that women should not try and fight sexism because they are different then men. Bull****. Men like him kept women as birthing machines for many centuries and the fact that he has 3 girls, who were all dressed in virgin freaking white at his acceptance speech... is beyond pathetic and full of typical cave man attitudes on the religious political right.

If a girl wants to play in the NFL.. and can meet the physical aspirations.. then why not? There are plenty of big fat women out there, that can flatten a skinny drug addicted quarterback.. no problem.

There are so many things wrong with this quote, especially taken in context of all the other comments and views on women and women's rights...

Like it or not, equal representation in all areas of society must be a goal.. sure it might not happen, but putting up barriers like he does with this comment, does not help one bit. He basically is saying that women should not try and fight sexism because they are different then men. Bull****. Men like him kept women as birthing machines for many centuries and the fact that he has 3 girls, who were all dressed in virgin freaking white at his acceptance speech... is beyond pathetic and full of typical cave man attitudes on the religious political right.

If a girl wants to play in the NFL.. and can meet the physical aspirations.. then why not? There are plenty of big fat women out there, that can flatten a skinny drug addicted quarterback.. no problem.

I'd have to see the context to know what you're talking about, but the quote you posted doesn't have anything to do with women's rights. Pointing out that men and women are physiologically different isn't sexist. He could very well be the most sexist person on earth for all I know, but the evidence you've provided isn't evidence at all.

If a girl can physically compete in the NFL, she'll play. I have no problem with that. If you think there are an equal number of girls and guys that can compete at that level, you're hopelessly off your rocker.

This thread piqued my curiosity about just who this new PM was and what he may have said. Here are some quotes:

“Why isn’t the fact that 100,000 women choose to end their pregnancies regarded as a national tragedy approaching the scale, say, of Aboriginal life expectancy being 20 years less than that of the general community?” March 17th, 2004
“What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up.” February 8th, 2010
“The climate change argument is absolute crap, however the politics are tough for us because 80 per cent of people believe climate change is a real and present danger.” February 2nd, 2010
“I won't be rushing out to get my daughters vaccinated [for cervical cancer], maybe that's because I'm a cruel, callow, callous, heartless bastard but, look, I won't be.” November 9th, 2006

Except for the comment about aboriginal life expectancy, he sounds a lot like the right wing pols in this country.

I'd have to see the context to know what you're talking about, but the quote you posted doesn't have anything to do with women's rights. Pointing out that men and women are physiologically different isn't sexist. He could very well be the most sexist person on earth for all I know, but the evidence you've provided isn't evidence at all.

More comments on women..

What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up, every year…’

Seriously... this is 2013, not 1940.

or

I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

Note he says woman.. not wife.... and yes a woman or man has the absolute right to deny and withhold sex if he or she so chooses so, in or out of a marriage. This view is clearly dictated by his religious views.. not common sense or the freaking law.

And then there are his borderline racist views.. they are always fun to dig into..

‘Now, I know that there are some Aboriginal people who aren’t happy with Australia Day. For them it remains Invasion Day. I think a better view is the view of Noel Pearson, who has said that Aboriginal people have much to celebrate in this country’s British Heritage’

Considering how Australia and especially the right wing has treated the Aboriginal's over the centuries... I think not.. he seems to live in a parallel universe. Guess he forgot how the White Australian government for decades stole babies and children from the Aboriginal communities and denied the basic rights because the official policy was that they were not intelligent enough to understand those rights... sound familiar?

There are also comments where he says the Aboriginals should pick up trash from the roads to integrate better..

This man is a problem on so many levels, and most commentators point out his lack of experience on a international level and yes this will cause massive problems unless he is handled well by the backroom staff. Think Bush looked like a fool so many times... this guy will be a gold mine for comedians.. since he already is.

If a girl can physically compete in the NFL, she'll play. I have no problem with that. If you think there are an equal number of girls and guys that can compete at that level, you're hopelessly off your rocker.

Yea right, the male dominated NFL allowing a female player? They cant even allow women in baseball where women can easily compete....or those poor women have to only play 3 sets in tennis and men have to play 5... awww the weak sex..

But back to Abbot.. I hope he grows with the job, but I have my doubts..and the sad part he comes from the Liberal Party.. the same ideology some what that I support back home in Denmark... but this guy.. gezz.

Give me a choice. Left and more-left is not a choice. Ted Cruz vs Hillary is a choice.

More comments on women..

Seriously... this is 2013, not 1940.

or

Note he says woman.. not wife.... and yes a woman or man has the absolute right to deny and withhold sex if he or she so chooses so, in or out of a marriage. This view is clearly dictated by his religious views.. not common sense or the freaking law.

And then there are his borderline racist views.. they are always fun to dig into..

Considering how Australia and especially the right wing has treated the Aboriginal's over the centuries... I think not.. he seems to live in a parallel universe. Guess he forgot how the White Australian government for decades stole babies and children from the Aboriginal communities and denied the basic rights because the official policy was that they were not intelligent enough to understand those rights... sound familiar?

There are also comments where he says the Aboriginals should pick up trash from the roads to integrate better..

This man is a problem on so many levels, and most commentators point out his lack of experience on a international level and yes this will cause massive problems unless he is handled well by the backroom staff. Think Bush looked like a fool so many times... this guy will be a gold mine for comedians.. since he already is.

Yea right, the male dominated NFL allowing a female player? They cant even allow women in baseball where women can easily compete....or those poor women have to only play 3 sets in tennis and men have to play 5... awww the weak sex..

But back to Abbot.. I hope he grows with the job, but I have my doubts..and the sad part he comes from the Liberal Party.. the same ideology some what that I support back home in Denmark... but this guy.. gezz.

Again, no context, but these quotes do sound a tad nutty.

On baseball & football, the NFL and MLB owners would splooge all over themselves at the chance to showcase a woman competing at that level. I imagine there are some exceptional women who could do it too, but I haven't seen them try. This is the only one I've seen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeraQHC-8xE

Back
Top Bottom