• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Welfare

What do you think welfare should be?

• Leave it as it is

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Make provisions to the current welfare system. Explain

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Abolish it completely.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other. Explain

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

cthomp

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I come from an area that has a lot of people on welfare. My neighboring town is roughly 86%. I can honestly say that when I go through that town I am amazed. It is not rare to see expensive cars, rims, and hear the bumping of expensive stereo systems in cars. For the most part the people are dressed in expensive clothes and shoes. To pile it on it is common to see many people walking the streets in the middle of the day during the week. It frustrates me to see the welfare system abused. However, I am not completely against it. My question is what do you think the welfare system should be like?

I feel it should go something like this. I would like to see the people on welfare drug tested. Next I think there should be somewhat of a stepping system. People that receive welfare should have to do some community service. Maybe two three times a week to earn their check. Give them x amount of days to get a job. Any job, working at McDonalds if they have to. This way their welfare check can be reduced. The system should be organized to help people get off of their feet, not feel its ok to sit at home and just get a hand-out.

I think corporate welfare is quite dangerous in this country, and that it needs to be revised.

I think that lobbyists should be restricted so that they lobby for an entire industry and not just a specific company.

I think that those who benefit from corporate welfare - executives, managers, employees, and shareeholders of companies that receive government contracts - should get drug tested before a government contract is given to a company.

I think that no-bid contracts should be banned from being doled out, as they are blatant examples of government corruption.

I think that all government services are better done via government agencies than by contracted private businesses.

Those are some of the changes to our welfare system that I would like to make.

I don't think it should be abolished completely. I do believe that there is a small (probably single digit) percentage of the individuals currently getting government support who should continue getting help. I see no need for the government to ever engage in corporate or educational welfare.

I think that no-bid contracts should be banned from being doled out, as they are blatant examples of government corruption.

How are no bid contracts welfare and how are they corrupt in nature?

Last edited:
I think corporate welfare is quite dangerous in this country, and that it needs to be revised.

I think that lobbyists should be restricted so that they lobby for an entire industry and not just a specific company.

I think that those who benefit from corporate welfare - executives, managers, employees, and shareeholders of companies that receive government contracts - should get drug tested before a government contract is given to a company.

I think that all government services are better done via government agencies than by contracted private businesses.

Corporate subsidies are not welfare. Corporate subsidies are an investment in the productivity of the United States of America. You know: jobs, infrastructure, innovation.

Nice try, though.

As to the OP, I think public assistance needs to be completely revamped to catch those who are abusing the system. And I mean catch them and end their abuse. It's "a hand up," not a "hand out."

Then, with the billions that will be saved by policing the system, the real needy will get more benefits and a better program to help them to help themselves.

Corporate subsidies are not welfare. Corporate subsidies are an investment in the productivity of the United States of America. You know: jobs, infrastructure, innovation.

Corporate subsidies is welfare for the same exact reason welfare for the poor is welfare. All that is different is the government has an interest in putting its desires in the market making it actually worse.

How are no bid contracts welfare and how are they corrupt in nature?

because a no bid contract guarantees a company will get hired by the government.many of those companies charge the most and do the lowest quality work,and are hired because the ceo was buddy buddy with someone in power.

because a no bid contract guarantees a company will get hired by the government.many of those companies charge the most and do the lowest quality work,and are hired because the ceo was buddy buddy with someone in power.

Bull**** and propaganda.

1. The companies are hired in such a process are highly trusted by the government for their long track record of high quality work.
2. They are not usually done in areas where there is many other companies able to do the work that is being asked to be done.
3. When you don't have time for the process as usual its usually best to consider no-bid contracts.

I just heard today (on ABC) that one in seven US families is below the poverty level. Of course that doesn't mean they're all on welfare.. Most of the young families that I know, one or more members, work ungodly hours for low wages. Being the social democrat that I am, I'd like to see nearly 100% of adults on welfare placed on a educational/work program. This would be more costly in the short term, but would pay for itself in the long term.

I like what's been said about corporate subsidies. It's true they are a lot like welfare. If it's for the affluent or companies, you call it breaks or subsidies. If it's for the poor, it's welfare. I'd go a step farther and start fining companies outsourcing jobs, as well.

Low bid isn't the best bid. About 20 years ago our local county government had a new building constructed. There were rumors at the time about how the countractor cut corners. Well, go figure, now recently, the entire building had to be torn down, before it fell down. The city and county argued over who would cover reconstruction cost. Does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread? Yes, it does. Basically, you get what you pay for. If you want to operate on the pure profit policy, you have to contend with a slashed and burned country.

Welfare needs a drastic overhaul these days. The amount needs to be reduced, it needs to require full-time employment, recipients should be mandated to take random, frequent drug tests, and women need to be placed on some sort of birth control who receive funding. These are just tips of the iceberg.

2. They are not usually done in areas where there is many other companies able to do the work that is being asked to be done.

This is generally the rational isn't it? Such as the rational for KBR (who rips off the government) but was really the only company with the ability to provide the service the government needed.

Welfare needs a drastic overhaul these days. The amount needs to be reduced, it needs to require full-time employment, recipients should be mandated to take random, frequent drug tests, and women need to be placed on some sort of birth control who receive funding. These are just tips of the iceberg.

I agree with you until the birth control part. I agree that they should absolutely not have anymore kids, not only is that not constitutional, how would you know if they were taking the birth control as prescribed?

This is generally the rational isn't it? Such as the rational for KBR (who rips off the government) but was really the only company with the ability to provide the service the government needed.

Have you ever spent the time looking at the rules that must be followed? Though you might want to check back at least once a week since it changes at least that often but still, have you?

Last edited:
Have you ever spent the time looking at the rules that must be followed? Though you might want to check back at least once a week since it changes at least that often but still, have you?

I haven't...this is just based on my limited experience with them. I also think find it hard to believe that say...in the instance of KBR with no competitors that are capable do doing what they do...that you're going to get a rate that is competitive in anyway.

cthomp said:
I agree with you until the birth control part. I agree that they should absolutely not have anymore kids, not only is that not constitutional, how would you know if they were taking the birth control as prescribed?

You can watch them take it, or they have injections. Constitutionality is irrelevant in this situation; welfare is optional. They can be presented the terms to receive welfare, which they can accept or refuse. It's a matter of contractual obligation, not of assumed rights.

I didn't say corporate subsidies. I said corporate welfare. And I said it needs to be revised, not abolished.

Nice try, though.

I come from an area that has a lot of people on welfare. My neighboring town is roughly 86%. I can honestly say that when I go through that town I am amazed. It is not rare to see expensive cars, rims, and hear the bumping of expensive stereo systems in cars. For the most part the people are dressed in expensive clothes and shoes. To pile it on it is common to see many people walking the streets in the middle of the day during the week. It frustrates me to see the welfare system abused. However, I am not completely against it. My question is what do you think the welfare system should be like?

I feel it should go something like this. I would like to see the people on welfare drug tested. Next I think there should be somewhat of a stepping system. People that receive welfare should have to do some community service. Maybe two three times a week to earn their check. Give them x amount of days to get a job. Any job, working at McDonalds if they have to. This way their welfare check can be reduced. The system should be organized to help people get off of their feet, not feel its ok to sit at home and just get a hand-out.

I picked "Make provisions to the current welfare system. Explain"

1.Food stamps should be replaced with a voucher system similar to WIC. With WIC you can only get the products the vouchers say you can get and when you can get them. This would eliminate people wasting tax payer dollars on cookies,candies, energy drinks, and other luxury and junk food.This would also help eliminate the foodstamp from hell rush that happens at the fist of the month at all the grocery stores.

2.Aid for housing ,education and utility bills should be wired into the land lord,educational institutions and utility company accounts if they are not already done so.

3.Aid for transportation should be in the form of bus tokens, tickets,vouchers and gas card based on transportation to a and from work and possibly to home and to pick up child.

I think that instead of giving money away we should give people jobs that are created by the government unless you are unable to work; like the first New Deal.

Low income welfare should be modified to not reward single parent families.
Which is part of the reason, middle and low income families are not seeing the same income growth.

1.Food stamps should be replaced with a voucher system similar to WIC. With WIC you can only get the products the vouchers say you can get and when you can get them. This would eliminate people wasting tax payer dollars on cookies,candies, energy drinks, and other luxury and junk food.This would also help eliminate the foodstamp from hell rush that happens at the fist of the month at all the grocery stores.

This was the way it was until the food industries lobbied to changed it so people on food stamps could buy their products with those food stamps.

I haven't...this is just based on my limited experience with them.

What kind of experience can you possibly have if you don't know the first thing about what applies?

This is the most disingenuous post you've ever posted. If you can't debate the welfare system that he's talking about then why don't you somewhere else? Stop derailing this thread.

I don't know if I can write a reasonable length post. This issue is very complicated.

I've been to the place several times where one gets services from the state to support getting those services for someone.
Most people there don't fit what cthomp describes, they don't stand out. The people that stand out are the ones with new in style clothes that fit the subculture they want to fit into. A few of the cars in the lot have (stupid) expensive rims etc. on their cars, but these cars aren't well maintained or new. My guess is 20% fit what cthomp describes. Their subculture locks them into nonproductive behavior, I have no idea how to have them change, and I don't find the deserving. I have no clue how to separate them out. I don't think they can be taught what they need to do to keep their culture where it's appropriate, but shed it for employment etc.
What if find interesting is a friend of mine that earns close to 100k/year, wants to be married, but will not address his own cultural deficiencies that insure that his third marriage will end up like the first two. He wants advice but doesn't want to change. At least he isn't costing us money yet.

I didn't say corporate subsidies. I said corporate welfare. And I said it needs to be revised, not abolished.

Nice try, though.

I get so tired of this corporate welfare crap. Welfare is giving money to people for doing nothing but breathing, corporations are given tax breaks to help them prosper in a very competitive world economy and in the process providing goods and services, employing people and rewarding investors. When I hear libs cry corporate welfare I want to umm, never mind.

If you suspect someone is fraudulently claiming welfare you can report them for abuse and they'll be investigated.

You can also be instrumental in raising awareness and concern via pursuing your state's congress. . . and so forth.

Seeing a potential abuse of the system and just complaining about it won't change anything unless you complain to the right people.

And seeing anything doesn't mean that it's actually an abuse of the system - can't prove that without deeper evidence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom