• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Welcome To Kiryas Joel: Please Dress Accordingly

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Welcome To Kiryas Joel: Please Dress Accordingly « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

KIRYAS JOEL, N.Y. (CBS 2) – You may never see a more unusual “Welcome” sign in Orange County.
A sign in Kiryas Joel, the Hasidic Jewish enclave, is evoking mixed reaction.
Monroe resident Jessica Pantalemon stopped to cash a check in Kiryas Joel wearing a bright pink tank top and white shorts. She said she noticed scowling faces.
“Just from the women, mostly,” she said. “The guys let me walk by, the women stop and stare, start whispering to each other…I just ignore them.”

Strange folk....

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Ummm . . .

She can walk past me wearing that any time she likes.

d0gbreath

Yellow Dog Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
They sound just like the Taliban.

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Nah, they don't kill people for not believing as they do or dressing as they want. so no, they don't sound like the taliban at all.

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
They sound just like the Taliban.
They're a close knit religious and ethnic enclave that tends to be more modest than the average American. How is that anything like the Taliban?

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I wouldn't last long around there. :? To each their own.. but wow.

Its actually a small enclave 20 mins north of here. We ride motorcycles on saturday and often pass right through there. They dont do work or drive on saturdays.

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There's an Amish community not too far from here and sometimes when you drive the 'back roads' you'll run across them in their horse drawn buggys. It's still odd that people can still pull off living in today's world with their belief system in tact. I dunno.. I'm spoiled and like my technology and my shorts and tanks in the summer. :shrug:

Coronado

Voluntary Resignation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There's an Amish community not too far from here and sometimes when you drive the 'back roads' you'll run across them in their horse drawn buggys. It's still odd that people can still pull off living in today's world with their belief system in tact. I dunno.. I'm spoiled and like my technology and my shorts and tanks in the summer. :shrug:
Go on down to McPherson -- that place is nothing but old-school Mennonites. They have awesome bakeries, though.

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Darn lefties wont go after them either

The New York Civil Liberties Union said because the signs were paid for privately and are not on public land and they pass constitutional muster

The Mark

Sporadic insanity normal.
Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Welcome To Kiryas Joel: Please Dress Accordingly « CBS New York- News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY

KIRYAS JOEL, N.Y. (CBS 2) – You may never see a more unusual “Welcome” sign in Orange County.
A sign in Kiryas Joel, the Hasidic Jewish enclave, is evoking mixed reaction.
Monroe resident Jessica Pantalemon stopped to cash a check in Kiryas Joel wearing a bright pink tank top and white shorts. She said she noticed scowling faces.
“Just from the women, mostly,” she said. “The guys let me walk by, the women stop and stare, start whispering to each other…I just ignore them.”
Strange folk....
In a fit of boredom, I started reading the comments on this article...

I would guess 40-50% of those commenting didn't read or only partially read the article, judging by their responses.

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Of all the stupid religious people in the word, Hasidic Jews might just be the stupidest.

Top Bottom