• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Weirdest thing that has ever happened to you at the airport?

never got patted down in the airport, but I use it very little, some of it was with an m-16 on me in the military, but the airports we used were pre cleared ahead of time for military weapons, and instead they would search with a wand for other crap we were not cleared to have. But even though us airports cleared my unit, in romania we had to leave the rifles on the jet, with guards designated to watch them, some military officers though the rules did not apply to them and tried to carry their m9 pistols in the airport to get caught at the checkpoints, followed by a speach by romanian guards saying us stupid americans could not follow instructions.

as far as non military situations in civilian airports, I got to watch a drunk woman try to strip down in the waiting area forget if it was dfw or atlanta, but she was topless and darn near close to naked before the guards took her out of there.

So dinner (peanuts) and a show? Sweeeeet.

I was at the OKC airport on Dec 23, 1975 having a drink awaiting my flight. A lady I had struck up a conversation with handed me a gift package, and asked If I would watch it for her while she went to the restroom. She had told me we were on the same flight. Of course,I told her I would watch it for her. About 1/2 hour later she had not returned and the call came to board the flight, so I grabbed her package,boarded,and awaited for her to board. She never boarded. When I got to Denver airport, I had a 2 hour layover til my next flight. Waited in the bar until call for flight. Never saw the woman on the concourse. When I got home,I opened the package to see if there was anything that would help me locate the owner or recipient. There were 25 -100 dollar bills and a note that said MERRY CHRISTMAS- anonymous-.

What an absolute prize!

My brother got an autographed photo of Harrison Ford as Han Solo, way back in the 70s. If he still had it, it would probably be worth quite a bit.
Nah, there are so many frauds on Ebay, people seldomly buy them anymore for much.

Cool though.

My son, who is always patted down because he is brown (Korean), had his fiancee patted down today also.

They then chose her at random to search her bag. They found a bag of unopened grits that I gave her (special kind I've only found down south) and they actually checked the bag to make sure it wasn't explosive.

What's the weirdest thing you've had happen to you at the airport?

I had a utility knife still in my backpack from a driving trip to Chicago, and I forgot to pull it out for when I flew to Phoenix the next day. TSA never found it. But, I certainly freaked out when I saw it in my bag when I arrived at the plant.

White privilege? Probably.

Your mother sounds awesome. My mom is too serious. I am the exact opposite. I have been told I skew 14 year old boy. I am into toilet humor and old school video games. I am nothing at all like either parent.
That she indeed has.

Now my Dad? Anytime he's frustrated about something is when one gets some of the best stand-up comedy of all time. I've been told I'm hilarious, but I think people just like watching me get screwed and/or injured. :lol:

I rarely fly, but on my August trip to San Antonio, we changed planes in Houston. During a slight wait, I stepped outside the terminal building, and nearly collapsed in the heat and humidity! It was just so unexpected. My nearest experience till then would be the reverse sensation, like on a chilly winters day, stepping into a busy overheated department store!

My unit stopped over in Ireland on the way to Iraq. They made us go through the metal detectors to make sure we weren't taking any weapons onto the plane that was full of our weapons.

Never had a civilian flight in afghanistan, but watched as the crew was patching up an old I forget the name of it now russian airliner with duct tape, and even the locals passing by were laughing at it. By the end of the deployment that jet still did not fly, all the other ones did but that one looked ragged even after numerous attempts to fic it(the duct tape was hillarious) but this was in mazer-i-sharif or however you wish to spel it in northern afghanistan, as the locals have multiple spellings of it as well all pronounced the same.

Might have been the old Pamir Airlines ( now defunct) ...they used to use the older An 12 and An 24 Russian turboprops; I was there the year one went down killing a lot of contractors...I think they went out business the following year.

I was flying by myself. I was seated next to a girl who was obviously on something. She talked the entire flight (probably an hour). She was a whirlwind of emotions - super happy, bawling, worried, excited. She told me her life story. I don't think she ever once asked me a question about myself. I just nodded a lot as she rambled on. We finally landed and I said a polite goodbye. She was STILL talking as I was walking away. That was an exhausting flight for this introvert.

I rarely fly, but on my August trip to San Antonio, we changed planes in Houston. During a slight wait, I stepped outside the terminal building, and nearly collapsed in the heat and humidity! It was just so unexpected. My nearest experience till then would be the reverse sensation, like on a chilly winters day, stepping into a busy overheated department store!

I once flew into Houston in July, walked out of the air-conditioned airport, and my glasses steamed up as if I'd just opened a hot dishwasher. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face! I hate humidity; hate it.

Lesee now...

Being stuck in a Third World airport for four hours because the planes were running late, and all we got as a compensation was a cup o'noodles and a can of soda.

Last one to board a flight because I got too chatty with a couple of hot women at the waiting lounge and missed the final call so they ended up paging me, and everyone was looking at me as I got into the cabin.

Was able to make a red eye flight right when I got to the airport since there were still seats available and so the ground crew rushed me through and even drove me on one of those golf cart thingys on the tarmac.

Checked in on a flight at the ticket counter, after a long pause the lady there said my flight was for next week! Left the airport extremely embarrassed since I misread the date of my flight.

Thats all I could think of at the top of my head for now.

Might have been the old Pamir Airlines ( now defunct) ...they used to use the older An 12 and An 24 Russian turboprops; I was there the year one went down killing a lot of contractors...I think they went out business the following year.

I do not remember who owned that jet, it was old and ragged with a damaged wing and looked like it had sat there since the soviet occupation. The old an turboprops were very good if maintained, however I have heard numerous horror stories about them in third world countries, like one guy in africa where his team used local africans for transport with a an 12 then they woke up mid flight watching the crew jumping out the plane, as well as the pilot and co pilot, they then looked out the window and saw the left wing fell off and decided his team needed to jump as well.

The third world like afghanistan will fly them till they fall from the sky, do bare minimum maintenace, never strip the aircraft down to check for cracks in the airframe either. I know america bought them a bunch of mi-18 russian helicopters because they were better suited for that environment than blackhawks, and they are extremely rugged even with lack of maintenance. Well afghanistan already lost one due to lack of maintenance, being more rugged does not mean it will fly with no maintenance. The bad part is america is trying to force them with the blackhawk now, a fine helicopter but not too friendly to ignoring maintenance, and when dealing with a country that thinks phase maintenance is a suggestion more than a necessity it is only a matter of time before they start falling from the sky.

I once flew into Houston in July, walked out of the air-conditioned airport, and my glasses steamed up as if I'd just opened a hot dishwasher. Couldn't see my hand in front of my face! I hate humidity; hate it.

It is not that bad until it is above 90 degrees, it is unlivable when it reaches 105-110 with high humidity. This summer it got over 115 where I am at in texas on the thermometer, and as it approched 115 it actualy felt cooler because the humidity started dropping fast. We had a car outside all black leather interior and black paint outside, the laser temp guage showed it near boiling temps inside and outside on the paint.

I had a utility knife still in my backpack from a driving trip to Chicago, and I forgot to pull it out for when I flew to Phoenix the next day. TSA never found it. But, I certainly freaked out when I saw it in my bag when I arrived at the plant.

White privilege? Probably.

Right? That you got through with a knife, and my she didn't get through with a bag of explosive grits? :roll:

That she indeed has.

Now my Dad? Anytime he's frustrated about something is when one gets some of the best stand-up comedy of all time. I've been told I'm hilarious, but I think people just like watching me get screwed and/or injured. :lol:

:lol: My husband and I couldn't be more different. We don't like the same kinds of TV shows, movies, etc. Rarely do we find a TV show that we both truly enjoy, that we can watch together. Ray Donovan is one of them that we actually both enjoy. We don't like the same kind of music, but we both love blues, so we put on BB King's Bluesville when we get in the car. Not sure how we ever got together, and not sure how we stayed together for 22 years. :lol: But I love the old bastard, so I guess there's that.

Yeah we like to kill tourists with our humidity down here. *sorry* It's just a service we offer.

My son left here yesterday and it was 75. He got to NY and it was 35. He wanted to get on the plane and turn around and come back.

Lesee now...

Being stuck in a Third World airport for four hours because the planes were running late, and all we got as a compensation was a cup o'noodles and a can of soda.

Last one to board a flight because I got too chatty with a couple of hot women at the waiting lounge and missed the final call so they ended up paging me, and everyone was looking at me as I got into the cabin.

Was able to make a red eye flight right when I got to the airport since there were still seats available and so the ground crew rushed me through and even drove me on one of those golf cart thingys on the tarmac.

Checked in on a flight at the ticket counter, after a long pause the lady there said my flight was for next week! Left the airport extremely embarrassed since I misread the date of my flight.

Thats all I could think of at the top of my head for now.

That would have been terrible. Preparing to fly is just as bad as flying itself.

Weirdest thing that has ever happened to you at the airport?

after not flying since March of '01, i was forced to do so in 2015. it was an eye opener. first, i learned that they can sell my seat to someone else because my employer forgot to confirm, and that they can attempt to put my luggage on that plane anyway despite me asking and then screaming at them not to do that. i narrowly won that particular argument, and i drove the rest of the way in a rental car. i had to be at an orientation, and they were telling me that they could get me on a flight a day later. um, no, and give me back my ****ing bag.

the other weird thing that happened is that they pulled my wife out of line for a full check in London. i'd heard of it happening to other people, but didn't expect them to choose her. she passed the test. i wonder if i find out in ten years that she's an international spy sent to infiltrate Helix HQ. if so, she has done an effective job, because i never suspected anything.

Lady across the isle from me and one seat up, had a Sugar Glider hidden in her shirt.
She was a big chested woman, she ended up showing [the glider, not her bosum] to the person in front of her, and chatted about it. It [the glider not her bosum] would make exotic chittering sounds periodically, definitely not something I had heard before.

sugar glider in hand 123694948.jpg

Last edited:
When I got to the point they check IDs, I was told to go over to another line that was a straight walk-thru. Neither I nor my carry-on was checked. That has happened twice. No idea why.

My son, who is always patted down because he is brown (Korean), had his fiancee patted down today also.

They then chose her at random to search her bag. They found a bag of unopened grits that I gave her (special kind I've only found down south) and they actually checked the bag to make sure it wasn't explosive.

What's the weirdest thing you've had happen to you at the airport?

Back in 1976, I was at the airport to go to England, right after high school. That is when they tightened up security because of hijacking. We got delayed because someone hijacked a bus, and it was going up and down the runways before they caught them. I did see the bus being chased outside the window too.

Back in 2008,my wife and I were on our return flight from Vegas to Colo. It was late July,about 110 degrees. Got on the plane, started to taxi, plane turned around and returned to terminal. Pilot said something about a short delay because of a mechanical issue. Sat there at least 45 mins. burning up. Start departure. Seconds b4 lift off, plane throttles down,return to terminal. Hear pilot and others arguing. All sorts of personel going thru plane and working under plane for about an hour. People litterally passing out and not allowed to leave airplane. NO a/c at all,engines not running. Finally start taxiing again. Wife in freak out mode,many others appear to be in same mode. Seconds before lift off,engines throttle down again,return to terminal. Mad stampede by passengers rushing to exit plane. Get back to concourse, look at plane, one of the engines is ablaze. Three hour wait for a back up plane. ...close call

Back
Top Bottom