• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Weiner didn’t declare costs for lavish 2010 wedding

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Anthony Weiner may have violated federal law when he failed to disclose his lavish six-figure wedding in his financial disclosure forms, says a government accountability group.

Ethics watchdog group National Legal and Policy Center examined the federal Financial Disclosure Reports for both Weiner and long-suffering wife Huma Abedin for 2010, the year of their wedding.

The cost for the ceremony was at least $100,000 but probably ran closer to $250,000 including all accommodations, clothing and extras. Neither Weiner nor Abedin had the resources to pay for the ultra-expensive wedding, yet neither recorded gifts on their Financial Disclosure Reports for that year.

NLPC Chairman Ken Boehm stated, “Knowingly filing a materially false Financial Disclosure Report not only violates the Ethics in Government Act but also the False Statements Accountability Act, a federal criminal statute. The public is entitled to know who paid the hundreds of thousands of dollars it apparently cost for Weiner to pay for such an extravagant wedding reception. Weiner is not above the law.”

Abedin and Weiner were married in Oheka Castle on Long Island in 2010, which was “Long Island’s most expensive wedding venue,” according to Newsday in January 2011. “The average wedding cost — $100,000 — does not include flowers, photography, band and hotel rooms.”

Abedin’s wedding dress may have been almost as expensive as the wedding. Made by world-famous designer and dressmaker to Hillary Clinton, Oscar de la Renta, the custom dress would have gone for over $50,000.

Another Clintonite, Bryan Rafanelli, was the wedding planner, some three weeks before he did Chelsea Clinton’s nuptials. The event was officiated by Bill Clinton, even though according to state law Clinton could not legally perform the marriage.
Culture of Corruption.

My advice to Weiner... Don't pull out.

I do not get why the right fears this guy so much. he is pretty much losing to the other dems at this point, as should be happening with someone who makes some poor decisions like he does. Do not get me wrong, it is great it was reported on, but now his campaign is blown. It just seems like when you knock one of the ghorses out of the race you focus on one that is still in, and not keep kicking the dead one.

but hey, he is done so good news. no more weiner.

It's bad enough that this guy is so obsessed with himself that he feels the urge to expose himself all over the place. No need to turn him into a celebrity. He's just a loser.

I do not get why the right fears this guy so much. he is pretty much losing to the other dems at this point, as should be happening with someone who makes some poor decisions like he does. Do not get me wrong, it is great it was reported on, but now his campaign is blown. It just seems like when you knock one of the ghorses out of the race you focus on one that is still in, and not keep kicking the dead one.

I doubt it's fear. More like embarrassment that he could possibly represent one of the largest cities in our country.

What would that say about us as a country?

Do you think anyone fears this guy? I don't. I think people are flabbergasted that he would have the audacity to stay in the race. That's more the point than anything else. If this OP is correct? The guy belongs in jail. When do we start holding people accountable?

What would that say about us as a country?

That it is a vibrant democracy in which the voters have every right to make stupid choices.

That it is a vibrant democracy in which the voters have every right to make stupid choices.

I could see where the low-info, government teat suckling voter would appreciate that choice.

Trouble is, electing someone like that affects more than just those described above.

I could see where the low-info, government teat suckling voter would appreciate that choice.

Trouble is, electing someone like that affects more than just those described above.

True. But in a democracy the voters have the right to be wrong.

True. But in a democracy the voters have the right to be wrong.

'Cept we live under a Constitutional republic, not a direct democracy.

IMO, if we're going to elect clowns like Obama, we need to re-examine our intelligence as a country.

'Cept we live under a Constitutional republic, not a direct democracy.

IMO, if we're going to elect clowns like Obama, we need to re-examine our intelligence as a country.

I would argue that the US has survived worse than Obama. That precisely is the strength of a good constitutional system: that it is designed to survive even the possible election of buffoons like Weiner.

Not a Weiner fan, but it seems absurd and unconstitutional that he would have to declare the personal cost of his wedding. There is no reporting provision in the US Constitution and its none of anyone's damn business.

I would argue that the US has survived worse than Obama. That precisely is the strength of a good constitutional system: that it is designed to survive even the possible election of buffoons like Weiner.

Perhaps we could evolve into a species that has no use for such pathetic losers to lead us into the future. Just a thought.

Not a Weiner fan, but it seems absurd and unconstitutional that he would have to declare the personal cost of his wedding. There is no reporting provision in the US Constitution and its none of anyone's damn business.

Yep, then there's the $3.5 million 'rent free' Park Ave. apartment he shares with his Muslim Brotherhood bride.

I think Wiener is just more fun and interesting than other candidates. It certainly is a bizarre narrative.

Perhaps we could evolve into a species that has no use for such pathetic losers to lead us into the future. Just a thought.

Well then, you would have to get rid of the Dem/Rep duopoly we have now. Right now we have the "leaders" that are the richest/best fund collectors and not the best leaders to lead us.

Right now it's just a choice of "What is this leader going to screw up?" scenario. I lost complete faith in the political system in 2010. And no, it wasn't due to that election but just the straw that broke the camel's back.

As for Weiner, the guy is clearly just an arrogant shmuck or as I like to call him "typical politician".

Well then, you would have to get rid of the Dem/Rep duopoly we have now. Right now we have the "leaders" that are the richest/best fund collectors and not the best leaders to lead us.

Right now it's just a choice of "What is this leader going to screw up?" scenario. I lost complete faith in the political system in 2010. And no, it wasn't due to that election but just the straw that broke the camel's back.

As for Weiner, the guy is clearly just an arrogant shmuck or as I like to call him "typical politician".

I can't argue those points. We need to new direction.

The issue is someone else likely paid the tab.

It's probably a pretty good idea for sitting politicians to disclose all gifts over a certain amount; especially when they're more expensive than most people's homes.

Weiner is toast. With all the revelations that are coming out about him, he is really between a **** and a hard place...... Oops, I mean a rock. :mrgreen:

Do you think anyone fears this guy? I don't. I think people are flabbergasted that he would have the audacity to stay in the race. That's more the point than anything else. If this OP is correct? The guy belongs in jail. When do we start holding people accountable?
Maybe he believes the hype. According to some of the reports that have been put out there, young female voters are big fans of Weiner. Gay New Yorkers love Weiner. Minorities in NYC are pulling for Weiner. We have even seen more than a few Weiner lovers on this site. SO...who knows...maybe once it all blows over, Carlos Danger will be NYCs newest heart throb and most famous member.

Democrats didnt start getting upset with Weiner until the Huma/Hillary thing started boiling.

I actually like Weiner and I know a fair portion of NYC do too. My problem is that he's lied about all this. Even in an article I read earlier today on HuffPost, it detailed how when he was asked if he was still "sexting" he gave some ridiculous answer and dodged the question. His "sexting" doesn't impact his politics but it does impact his credibility, and credibility is something that many voters look for in a candidate.

I actually like Weiner and I know a fair portion of NYC do too. My problem is that he's lied about all this. Even in an article I read earlier today on HuffPost, it detailed how when he was asked if he was still "sexting" he gave some ridiculous answer and dodged the question. His "sexting" doesn't impact his politics but it does impact his credibility, and credibility is something that many voters look for in a candidate.

Ha, not in New York they aren't looking for credibility, they're looking for stuff, and the character of the person who promises the most stuff is of little concern.

Tim-

Back
Top Bottom