• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'We'd make the same decision,' zoo director says of gorilla shooting

Re: RIP Harambe

Several years ago, on one of our Walt Disney World trips, we were taking the bus from the Pop Century Resort to the Magic Kingdom. A single mother had three children with her. One was a baby in her arms. One was a toddler who had one of those leashes. The other one was probably 4, maybe 5. On the bus a woman started giving this mother a hard time. She was berating her for having a child on a leash. The lady went on to claim she was a social worker and demanded that the leash be removed. This lady would not quit. When a few passengers told her to butt out she got real mad and louder. When we got to the Magic Kingdom the bus went right past the place it usually stops and pulled to a little booth. Four really big guys boarded the bus removed the busybody, then the bus pulled up to one of the drop offs. The whole bus was quiet. Then the bus driver made his announcement that we were at the Magic Kingdom, he added that he'd rather see a child on a leash than a milk carton. The whole bus started clapping.

They didn't do anything to the lady they removed. They were just giving the mother a chance to get away from her, since she would enter at a few minutes apart. I walked with the mother to the stroller rental and rented her a double stroller, as well as one for us. I had a 9-year-old and a 2-year-old with me, by myself. I know how she felt.

I appreciate that zoos bring a great deal of knowledge and experience to people who live in cities, educating us about the many and varied other occupants of this planet. Without zoos, most of us would never experience such wildlife and that would be a shame.

I believe that zoos, unlike circuses and theme parks that "employ" animals, take tremendous care of those they're charged with protecting and nurturing. And I believe that no one feels worse about this tragedy than those people who spend their lives caring for this particular gorilla but all the gorillas and other animals in this zoo. I can imagine, having lost treasured pets, that losing this gorilla would be like losing a family member to many of them and I respect their feelings in this regard. I refuse to believe that those charged with caring for these animals would needlessly take the life of one.

One can only hope that inattentive and irresponsible parents will learn a lesson from this case and provide as much care and nurturing to their children as the zoo employees provide to their "children".

I hate zoos.

Caging animals/mammals against their will so humans can stare at them is not cool.

And no matter how nice the cage is, it's still a cage.

And save the 'the animals love it' nonsense. Unless the animals learn to actually speak, it is impossible for you to know they 'love it'.

Did Cincinnati Zoo really have to kill a rare gorilla? - CNN.com

This was completely unnecessary killing a gorilla that shouldn't be there in the first place. What a gross overreaction caused by a negligent mother that couldn't control her child.

According to Jack Hannah, yes. The gorilla was treating the child like a toy. If they had used a drug dart the play could have turned into aggression with death to the child. If you think people are angry at a dead gorilla, imagine if we were dealing with a dead child. It's too bad but, as they say, stuff happens.

I hate zoos.

Caging animals/mammals against their will so humans can stare at them is not cool.

And save the 'the animals love it' nonsense. Unless the animals learn to actually speak, it is impossible for you to know they 'love it'.
What a simplistic, uninformed viewpoint.

I appreciate that zoos bring a great deal of knowledge and experience to people who live in cities, educating us about the many and varied other occupants of this planet. Without zoos, most of us would never experience such wildlife and that would be a shame.

I believe that zoos, unlike circuses and theme parks that "employ" animals, take tremendous care of those they're charged with protecting and nurturing. And I believe that no one feels worse about this tragedy than those people who spend their lives caring for this particular gorilla but all the gorillas and other animals in this zoo. I can imagine, having lost treasured pets, that losing this gorilla would be like losing a family member to many of them and I respect their feelings in this regard. I refuse to believe that those charged with caring for these animals would needlessly take the life of one.

One can only hope that inattentive and irresponsible parents will learn a lesson from this case and provide as much care and nurturing to their children as the zoo employees provide to their "children".

I believe there is a big exception to the theme park and employ animals... Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom Park in Lake Buena Vista, Florida (and Animal Kingdom Lodge) has found a way to allow the animals to have minimal interaction with guests. They animals are seen by guests but only doing what they would normally be doing. They aren't jumping through any hoops or coming when called. Children are able to see them but not interfere with them.

I clearly remember in March 2011 when this two-year-old saw a giraffe for the first time. Until that point, they were just animals on Go, Diego, Go on television. These animals are safe from predators. They get their food like they do in the wild, although it is placed there for them to find.

IMG_0733.jpg

You ever had a 4 year old? They can get away from anyone, no matter how close you watch them or how fast you are. It kinda surprises me the cage was designed so something that size could get through it. I would have thought it had something like chicken wire or smaller to keep vermin out if no other reason.

Its never anyone's fault. You cannot be held responsible. To do so is mean. Unless they are conservative of course, then they are evil. I heard this lady voted for Rubio too. Really.

What?
Its never anyone's fault. You cannot be held responsible. To do so is mean. Unless they are conservative of course, then they are evil. I heard this lady voted for Rubio too. Really.

I hate zoos.

I appreciate your point of view on this, but I think we tend to romanticize the lives that wild animals have in nature. I'm pretty sure the natural predators of most of the animals in zoos are not roaming the facilities and devouring them in very violent and bloody end of life battles. In a way, zoos are not much different from people living in cities. Early man had some pretty dire life experiences that could be identified as a more "natural" existence. Modern man is "caged" in cities and in workplaces, not living some idyllic existence where we have all we need and want and do whatever we want all the time. We readily exchange some freedoms for a more secure existence.

While I'd agree that animals don't volunteer for zoo duty, I truly believe a lot of them would jump at the chance to live long and comfortable lives in zoos as opposed to the alternative. I just have to look at pet dogs I've had, who never ran away or even tried, to know that man is not the unfeeling and inconsiderate beast you're making us out to be.

Zoo was responsible too. Kid shouldn't have been able to get in the enclosure in the first place.

Cages aren't built for humans looking to break in. They're built so that animals won't get out. In that, we can see that they succeeded.

A decision had to be made. The zookeepers couldn't have waged the boy's life on the gorilla's temperament. As for how the kid got there in the first place, if negligence can be established against the parents, I hope they get a fat fine, because let's face it, they're not going to jail over a gorilla.

I appreciate your point of view on this, but I think we tend to romanticize the lives that wild animals have in nature. I'm pretty sure the natural predators of most of the animals in zoos are not roaming the facilities and devouring them in very violent and bloody end of life battles. In a way, zoos are not much different from people living in cities. Early man had some pretty dire life experiences that could be identified as a more "natural" existence. Modern man is "caged" in cities and in workplaces, not living some idyllic existence where we have all we need and want and do whatever we want all the time. We readily exchange some freedoms for a more secure existence.

While I'd agree that animals don't volunteer for zoo duty, I truly believe a lot of them would jump at the chance to live long and comfortable lives in zoos as opposed to the alternative. I just have to look at pet dogs I've had, who never ran away or even tried, to know that man is not the unfeeling and inconsiderate beast you're making us out to be.

Domesticated pack animals are not comparable to wild animals kept in tiny enclosures that nowhere near resemble their true habitat.

Why isn't there outrage from the public directed at the zoo? The design of the enclosure was obviously flawed. Had the design been adequate, this would have not occured. Period.

I put the life of a child above that of a gorilla.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I would go a step farther as well. I believe even the biggest scumbag, piece of garbage human's life is still a step above any animal, period. I like animals, but to put them on even a close level to a person is an insult to the human race and is, quite frankly, disturbing.

Why isn't there outrage from the public directed at the zoo? The design of the enclosure was obviously flawed. Had the design been adequate, this would have not occured. Period.

I am certain that they will look at all their enclosures to make sure that a child can't get through them.

Always blame those who "if they just would have" and of course, have enough money to sue.. Never forget that, sue the rich party.

Always blame those who "if they just would have" and of course, have enough money to sue.. Never forget that, sue the rich party.

If you can't build a child proof enclosure don't build one.

Do you think the zoo might share just a very small part of the blame? I think it is about 50/50 but I always felt safe with my kids at the zoo, more safe than say walking down the sidewalk of a busy street. The Zoo is mainly designed for children and I would imagine a million or more come thru the Cincinnati Zoo annually? Many of school busses on field trips and I have been there several times. Don't you think the Zoo should have thought of maybe a kid getting away and into an enclosure? I haven't heard anything about a lawsuit yet.

Why wasn't the zoo prepared to tranquilize the gorilla? Isn't that how they deal with large animals that need medical attention?

If you can't build a child proof enclosure don't build one.

How many years had that not been a problem? ****, happens, you don't freak out and sue over an accident.

Do you think the zoo might share just a very small part of the blame? I think it is about 50/50 but I always felt safe with my kids at the zoo, more safe than say walking down the sidewalk of a busy street. The Zoo is mainly designed for children and I would imagine a million or more come thru the Cincinnati Zoo annually? Many of school busses on field trips and I have been there several times. Don't you think the Zoo should have thought of maybe a kid getting away and into an enclosure? I haven't heard anything about a lawsuit yet.

Depends, are they conservative, if so that party is 100% to blame, second consideration is which party has the more money, it's unfair that they do so sue them. Doesn't matter how you figure it out, they should be to blame.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1065912569 said:
Why wasn't the zoo prepared to tranquilize the gorilla? Isn't that how they deal with large animals that need medical attention?

It was a 400# gorilla. Tranqs wouldn't have taken it down immediately.

Back
Top Bottom