• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wear Masks At Home During Zoom Meetings?

I think when all this BS virus stuff is over, many Americans who bought into this mask BS will still be wearing masks

We'll look more like an Asian country

...and, because of that, those Asian countries did not get hit very hard. Their citizens knew exactly what to do and their economies were not hit very hard. If we are all going to suffer, we should at least learn something.

Meh. Covidiots. What do you do? I've had supervisors ask me to do stupid stuff just for optics as well. Kinda the way it goes sometimes.

Leading by setting a good example isn't stupid. Maybe you disagree that it's an effective strategy, but far better to err on the side of setting the right example for the public than the opposite. In other words, "optics" often matter, quite a bit.

Leading by setting a good example isn't stupid. Maybe you disagree that it's an effective strategy, but far better to err on the side of setting the right example for the public than the opposite. In other words, "optics" often matter, quite a bit.

Wearing a mask when everyone can tell that there's no point in wearing a mask at that time is not "setting a good example." It just shows that you value image over substance.

No, it's not hard to grasp that some people are THAT stupid.

You wouldn't know what was stupid and what wasn't.

Natural Resources Secretary Preston Cole said in the email that staff has to wear masks in DNR buildings and in virtual meetings, according to the Journal Sentinel.

Also, wear your mask, even if you are home, to participate in a virtual meeting that involves being seen — such as on Zoom or another video-conferencing platform — by non-DNR staff,” Cole reportedly wrote. “Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.

The governor’s mask order requires face coverings to be worn in indoor public spaces, and does not include residencies.

Health experts say people should wear masks in their homes if they are living with people who are susceptible to serious illness from the coronavirus. But otherwise, they say, there isn’t much need to.

DNR spokesperson Megan Sheridan told McClatchy that the department wanted its employees to set an example for others by displaying their masks.

“By wearing a mask while video conferencing with the general public, we visually remind folks that masking is an important part of navigating the business of natural resources during this tumultuous time,” Sheridan said.

She added that screenshots of virtual meetings could also be “taken out of context” and “could be misinterpreted to suggest that state employees are not properly following” the mandate.

That their opinion. It's harmless and sometimes we have to do things for reasons of optics.

Last edited:
How does wearing a mask at home while on a Zoom meeting set an example for anything, other than stupidity?
It is nothing more than a show of fidelity to the progressive orthodoxy. It has been going on for a long time now, this is just the newest manifestation. They have abandoned all pretense of being tolerant of others and openly demand everyone pledge their loyality. Those who refuse are threatened with violence and other forms of sever retribution.
The question is how many people will defy them on nov 3.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is why I thought Biden and Harris blew it after her introduction. They should have immediately put their masks back on when their significant others came onto the stage with their masks on.

You wouldn't know what was stupid and what wasn't.

That their opinion. It's harmless and sometimes we have to do things for reasons of optics.

Nope, sorry, it's idiotic at all levels, and the only optics that it entails are ammunition for the anti-mask idiots.

Masks during a zoom meeting at your own home I think it is silly. The message should be masking when out around other people, indoors around people who are not in your family (stores and such), social distancing, and staying the hell out of crowds (especially without masks),

Masks during zoom is silly and giving anti-maskers red meat.

Nothing wrong with a PSA before or after the meeting.

While I applaud the effort, it is misplaced.

I think when all this BS virus stuff is over, many Americans who bought into this mask BS will still be wearing masks

We'll look more like an Asian country

Hmmm...so if we look like an asian country...then we'll have a cleaner-looking nation, infection rates will god down, better work ethic, be more polite and considerate towards each other, eat better and a little bit healthier and our kids won't like the cheesey-poofs that their parents seem to think is good enough to eat.

Asian nations aren't perfect...but I'll take those things over what the fat slobs in MAGA hats have to offer.

Nope, sorry, it's idiotic at all levels, and the only optics that it entails are ammunition for the anti-mask idiots.

Well, I've given enough information to be able to think through this. You don't make these decisions based on what anti-maskers will think. That's foolish. It would be like making a decision about vaccinations based on what anti-vaxxers think. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
REALLY?

In an email to employees sent out on July 31, the head of Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources not only reminded employees of Gov. Tony Evers’ mask order going into effect on Aug. 1, he also said that every DNR employee must wear a mask … even while on a teleconference.

“Also, wear your mask, even if you are home, to participate in a virtual meeting that involves being seen — such as on Zoom or another video-conferencing platform — by non-DNR staff,” Preston Cole said, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”

:roll:

Access Denied

Wisconsin state agency requires employees to wear masks while teleconferencing | TheHill

While the reasoning behind it is good, I don't agree with what they are asking. It's overkill. They could also start the meeting with a remark that "Since we are all currently social distancing, the need for a mask for this meeting won't be necessary." And get the same point across.

Anyone putting on a mask in their own home for a zoom meeting is ****ing insane. What the **** is wrong with these idiots? Is it something in their water supply? I find it hard to believe people can get this stupid without being drugged.

[/I][/B]

...and, because of that, those Asian countries did not get hit very hard. Their citizens knew exactly what to do and their economies were not hit very hard. If we are all going to suffer, we should at least learn something.

...and, because of that, those Asian countries did not get hit very hard.

Either did we?

160,000 deaths out of 330 MILLION people?

5 million cases(Don't mean deaths) out of 330 million people?

REALLY?

In an email to employees sent out on July 31, the head of Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources not only reminded employees of Gov. Tony Evers’ mask order going into effect on Aug. 1, he also said that every DNR employee must wear a mask … even while on a teleconference.

“Also, wear your mask, even if you are home, to participate in a virtual meeting that involves being seen — such as on Zoom or another video-conferencing platform — by non-DNR staff,” Preston Cole said, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”

:roll:

Access Denied

Wisconsin state agency requires employees to wear masks while teleconferencing | TheHill

Insanity rules when the herd is in stampede.

Meh. Covidiots. What do you do? I've had supervisors ask me to do stupid stuff just for optics as well. Kinda the way it goes sometimes.

Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”
It works.

Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”
It works.

Yep. It is an example of Covidioticy. I'm sure they have to wear hard hats in meetings too. Saftey first. Not hurting anybody for sure.

Bet their clothes are imported from Taiwanese sweat shops, but as long as people see the masks and not the tags, they can project the example that they care about the health and safety of others.

While the reasoning behind it is good, I don't agree with what they are asking. It's overkill. They could also start the meeting with a remark that "Since we are all currently social distancing, the need for a mask for this meeting won't be necessary." And get the same point across.

That would be hilarious. Everyone wears masks at the start of the zoom meeting, and then they ask if everyone is at least 6 feet from another coworker, and then they can take them off.

I've heard of companies doing stupider things.

Yep, optics matter to supervisors. Often much more than actually performing work in a safe or effective manner.

And yes, I would disagree that contradicting WHO and CDC recommendations on mask wearing when social distancing is available is the right example, but as you pointed out optics are more important.

Yep, optics matter to supervisors. Often much more than actually performing work in a safe or effective manner.

And yes, I would disagree that contradicting WHO and CDC recommendations on mask wearing when social distancing is available is the right example, but as you pointed out optics are more important.

Optics (i.e. leading by example) matter because people who are effective leaders actually influence behavior.

I can't make any sense of the second sentence - the double negatives leave your message unclear - And of course I don't believe and didn't say that optics are more important than following health guidelines. No need to misrepresent my argument.

Yep. It is an example of Covidioticy. I'm sure they have to wear hard hats in meetings too. Saftey first. Not hurting anybody for sure.

Bet their clothes are imported from Taiwanese sweat shops, but as long as people see the masks and not the tags, they can project the example that they care about the health and safety of others.

We have accepted that, in certain circumstances, safety equipment like hard hats are required, and we wear them without moaning about it much. Exception seems to be a global pandemic, thus show and tell is a good idea.
BTW, we usually wash before wearing. ;)

Back
Top Bottom