• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wealthy neighbors pack community meeting to oppose planned homeless shelter on 'billionaires row'

Not surprised at your normal partisan hackery there Zimmer. You can't tell who those people in the video voted for, whether their democrats or republicans, independent or green party.

Plain fact of the matter is that no matter what side of the aisle you're on, denying these people help is downright disgusting.

Leftists given the opportunity to live their “solutions”, but don’t want it in their neighborhood.*

See video... it’s a beaut.
Wealthy neighbors pack community meeting to oppose planned homeless shelter on 'Billionaires Row'

*One can say Leftists, as this area voted Clinton 580,000 to 65,000.

There are homeless people in New York? Naw, can't be. I thought lefties had liberal solutions for homelessness. Actually, my first thought after reading the headline was that instead of spending millions of dollars making a shelter for the homeless, why don't they just use that money to make less people homeless?

Not surprised at your normal partisan hackery there Zimmer. You can't tell who those people in the video voted for, whether their democrats or republicans, independent or green party.

Plain fact of the matter is that no matter what side of the aisle you're on, denying these people help is downright disgusting.

What are the odds that most of them are Liberals? Pretty good?

You do know that voting for Hillary =/= liberal right? To them maybe voting for Hillary was the lesser of two evils. Maybe they're Independents or Green Party. So we don't really know the odds. You can assume, but you know what they say when you "assume" right?

You do know that voting for Hillary =/= liberal right? To them maybe voting for Hillary was the lesser of two evils. Maybe they're Independents or Green Party. So we don't really know the odds. You can assume, but you know what they say when you "assume" right?

Are you assuming that they aren't mostly Liberals?

The only things exceptional about american society are its penchant for denial/guilt/sin/blame and a total lack of responsibility that only blame can bring. Meanwhile, american problems continue to push the empire toward further decline.

The only things exceptional about american society are its penchant for denial/guilt/sin/blame and a total lack of responsibility that only blame can bring. Meanwhile, american problems continue to push the empire toward further decline.

He says as #METOO is on a tear destroying men by accusations alone.

What distinguishes us is a puritanism that can only exist in a climate of near complete ignorance of the human condition, with a special emphasis on ignorance of the ways of power.

Last edited:
Well you do assume to much & to often.

But, I know the difference between to, too and two. :lamo

Anything about the OP, or am I the topic, now?

But, I know the difference between to, too and two. :lamo

Anything about the OP, or am I the topic, now?

Problem with my grammar- to-too bad

1. What a surprise...a neighborhood of billionaires playing NIMBY.
2. What a surprise...another fanatical conservative pretending that wealthy billionaire Democrat socialites represent all liberals.
3. What a surprise...another almost "troll bait" thread trying to massage butt hurt conservatives who have zero platform and zero ideas, only a rubber stamp for THEIR billionaires.

We can devolve into partisan hackery or we could be civil and rational and admit that even proclaimed progressives and liberals don't really like having to deal with mental illness and extreme poverty. This is not the first time this has happened, section 8 housing in affluent areas (read: areas with good schools and positive role models around) gets blocked no matter the number of liberal votes cast.

1. What a surprise...a neighborhood of billionaires playing nimby.
2. What a surprise...another fanatical conservative pretending that wealthy billionaire democrat socialites represent all liberals.
3. What a surprise...another almost "troll bait" thread trying to massage butt hurt conservatives who have zero platform and zero ideas, only a rubber stamp for their billionaires.

bullseye!

Sorry to bust your hackbubble here Zimmer (and you too apdst), but this isn't a liberal or conservative issue. This is an issue of wealthy homeowners not wanting a homeless shelter near their pristine property lines.

You both should just stop this dumb **** already.

Try to build a homeless shelter in a neighborhood of Country Club Republicans and see what happens.

Sorry to bust your hackbubble here Zimmer (and you too apdst), but this isn't a liberal or conservative issue. This is an issue of wealthy homeowners not wanting a homeless shelter near their pristine property lines.

You both should just stop this dumb **** already.

I am not rich and I would raise all kinds of hell if they tried to put a homeless shelter in next door to me and I would imagine just about everyone else on here would too.

We can devolve into partisan hackery or we could be civil and rational and admit that even proclaimed progressives and liberals don't really like having to deal with mental illness and extreme poverty. This is not the first time this has happened, section 8 housing in affluent areas (read: areas with good schools and positive role models around) gets blocked no matter the number of liberal votes cast.

I find it fascinating that when low income housing is finally approved anytime, there's always some background attempt to locate it specifically in a high income area just so it can create a backlash.
Let me ask something...if a person is low income, they generally have to live, work and even shop IN that low income area, yes?

So, thinking of New York, for instance, if a bunch of poor people grow up in Far Rockaway, they wind up going to school in Far Rockaway, they work somewhere around Far Rockaway, and they shop in Far Rockaway.
How much sense does it make to locate more low income housing in Woodmere? They're not going to be able to afford to shop there, most of the schools in Woodmere are private or chartered, most of the employment in Woodmere is snooty, boutique, high end expensive, and the public transportation in the area is dismal and slow, which means if they don't have cars, getting back and forth to their jobs in Far Rockaway becomes an enormous expense.

So, it's not just that the wealthy folks are doing the NIMBY thing, it's the fact that sticking the low income housing in the NIMBY areas isn't going to do much good for the people who need it the most anyway.
It's a political poke in the eye, and that's all it is.

Speaking locally, now that L.A. has finally completed the Expo Line of its urban light rail, it is feasible for low income residents in South L.A. and downtown to seek employment on the West Side because it is economical for them to commute by urban light rail back and forth to and from the West Side, whereas trying to cram some low income housing on the West Side, where even an 1100 sq. ft crackerbox 2 BR shack is going to cost 750 thousand bucks, would be absurd.

Yes, we had to listen to all the wealthy suburbanites whine and cry NIMBY as the Expo Line got planned.
They won the round on the proposed "Subway to the Sea" so the Expo Line isn't a subway, it's commuter light rail instead, but it works and does the job.

One of the results is, parts of South L.A. are now getting a little more calm, no not everywhere but bit by bit, employment is slowly improving and there's a wee bit of easing on the congestion.

I am not rich and I would raise all kinds of hell if they tried to put a homeless shelter in next door to me and I would imagine just about everyone else on here would too.

For one, your property value is going to take a dump. Unfortunately it is a truth.

We have had neighborhoods up here obtain an attorney to fight the building of a youth baseball center in their neighborhood.

I think it is accurate statement that nobody wants more traffic in their neighborhood and anything other than a single family occupation is going to affect that.

For one, your property value is going to take a dump. Unfortunately it is a truth.

We have had neighborhoods up here obtain an attorney to fight the building of a youth baseball center in their neighborhood.

I think it is accurate statement that nobody wants more traffic in their neighborhood and anything other than a single family occupation is going to affect that.

Exactly. I feel for some homeless folks, there was a time when I was a kid that we were in a shelter, but we all know that no one trashes a place up like a bunch of homeless drunks and schizophrenics. They will take a virtual landfill full of **** and have it scattered all over everywhere. Every day you would walk outside to a sea of trash.

Leftists given the opportunity to live their “solutions”, but don’t want it in their neighborhood.*

Wealthy neighbors pack community meeting to oppose planned homeless shelter on 'Billionaires Row'

I don't think this has anything to do with party affiliation, try doing something in some rich rightist neighborhood and the same thing would happen. Just rich people doing what rich people do.

Hey, where you been? We've had a variety of extremists here lately but it's been awhile since someone called NIMBY a leftist thing. Your source seems short of information, though. I couldn't even find out what city was refered to. All it said was that 'dozens of residents' had objected. If you say dozens out of 645,000 represent a leftist failing, well, I guess you're... damn, sorry, I couldn't do it. I couldn't satirize something that's already mocking itself

Back
Top Bottom