• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wealth Taxes: A Future Battleground [W:471]

The largest investor in Treasuries now is not foriegn governments, it's the US
Fed.

One of the goals of Bernake's QE, which persist, was to push people put of Government bonds and into riskier investments.

That has been accomplished for the most part, but its not equating to more jobs.

Arbitrarily comparing different Era's to our own is short sighted to say the least.

Its not the " rich folks" fault we've got 7 Trillion in new debt, and no, taxing them wouldn't pay down our debt, it wouldn't put a scratch in our debt.

Starve the Government ( THIS government ) until the results of their mismanagment force Americans to wake up.

You can't argue for a policy that builds a better America when you elect a administration that hates this Country on principle.

How would anyone here define wealth? and who would calculate it? For example someone has a defined benefit pension plan, while his neighbor has a 401K. Is one considered wealth and the other not?

How about the person whose job comes from a business he started. He and his wife earn $100K from the business, while his neighbor is a policeman, his wife is a nurse, is the business part of one's wealth or his job.

A manager at a corporation has stock options that he has not exercised, while his co-worker has exercised his options. Which one ( or both) has wealth we will count.

Someone has been hurt on the job and has been awarded disability. He/she is 35 years old. Do we look at the income stream and then present value the value of that income stream for the next 30 years?

The list goes on and on.

Sounds easy, but not so much.

Typically, debate of US national debt focuses on the proper mix of spending cuts and revenue increases and revenue increases almost always are discussed in terms of income taxes. Here's another perspective on the dichotomy.

Taxing wealth is a great idea. One of the most frequently heard arguments against taxation is the disincentive to production it is said to create. That's the basis of the Laffer Curve. We don't have that problem with wealth taxes. Wealth taxes will be completely independent of work. They will reflect the community's fair share of wealth accumulated by any means whether productive effort or just good fortune. Wealth taxes are an idea whose time has come.

I think such taxes would justify armed rebellion or assassination.

My income is taxed over and over and over. So what are you complainng about?

Corps are not taxed. (in reality, not laws) So the income is only taxed once. And considering your only paying 15% to ZERO taxes on that income, you have nothing
to complain about.

How about this. A constituional Amendment that says that unearned income must be taxed at 2x the rate of earned income........THAT would be reform.

Lets see, 2 x the (whole) FICA rate alone is about 30%........

I think its an idea that appeals to losers and failures who are mad that other people have done better than they have. ITs an attempt to enact envy into the law

Our taxes are too low. That's why we have a problem.

LOL you sound like someone who isn't paying hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in taxes as I am and getting almost nothing in return. I sure don't get anymore than people like you do

Look at his “Lean”. If he's true to it, then he's all in favor of bigger, more corrupt government; and thinks it a good thing to take as much wealth as possible from those who rightfully earned it, to be given to parasites who did not.

View attachment 67150762

everytime i read this sort of crap contained in the OP that you are responding to, I realize how smart it is for freedom loving people to be well armed

I think such taxes would justify armed rebellion or assassination.

I would think assassination at best. The wealthy wouldn't risk their lives but would like so much else hire proxies and 'consultants' to do the heavy lifting.

I would think assassination at best. The wealthy wouldn't risk their lives but would like so much else hire proxies and 'consultants' to do the heavy lifting.

Oh plenty I know would be doing the killing if the parasites tried to tax passive wealth

Lets see, I save 100K and I buy say a painting. And the parasites think I should pay taxes on something that earns me no income that was paid for with after tax income.

Yeah, I'd say that would justify culling the herd of ticks quite a bit

Because people who pay "hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in taxes" always hang out in internet forums............Whodda thunk ?.................

Because people who pay "hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in taxes" always hang out in internet forums............Whodda thunk ?.................

every few months someone comes along and their immediate reaction is to pretend that everyone else here is just like they are and no one here could possibly be say part of the oldest millionaire family west of Pittsburgh etc

what do you think every person who makes more in a month than you do in a year does?

sail their yachts (don't own one)
attend black tie affairs (last one was my father's 75th-He died at 80, that was 7 years ago)

hang out in chic art galleries (not me, I prefer gun stores and target ranges)

jet to Paris (never been there)

every few months someone comes along and their immediate reaction is to pretend that everyone else here is just like they are and no one here could possibly be say part of the oldest millionaire family west of Pittsburgh etc

what do you think every person who makes more in a month than you do in a year does?

sail their yachts (don't own one)
attend black tie affairs (last one was my father's 75th-He died at 80, that was 7 years ago)

hang out in chic art galleries (not me, I prefer gun stores and target ranges)

jet to Paris (never been there)

Right..........................

Right..........................

You might ask about a guy no longer with us named Hazlnut. He spent years claiming I wasn't an attorney either

Oh plenty I know would be doing the killing if the parasites tried to tax passive wealth Lets see, I save 100K and I buy say a painting. And the parasites think I should pay taxes on something that earns me no income that was paid for with after tax income. Yeah, I'd say that would justify culling the herd of ticks quite a bit

Ahhh typical never been mistake- to think it will be a one way range and the 'parasites' will wait their turn to be shot by a few 'freedom loving patriots' is absurd. For every bullet a 'herd thinner' fires a dozen will be coming back and the 'thinners' have to sleep sometime.

No Sir, I see the wealthy hiding in their gated armed camps and paying others to take the risks. Can't buy anything if you are shot dead.

It is no coincidence that the cretins who advocate such taxation are the same ones who oppose the free exercise of the right to keep and bear arms.

Makes sense

I have always said those who most want to ban guns are generally the same people who engage in activity that would most justify honest and reasonable people shooting them:mrgreen:

Child molesters, rapists, thieves, despots, control freaks and parasites for example (not an exclusive list)

Ahhh typical never been mistake- to think it will be a one way range and the 'parasites' will wait their turn to be shot by a few 'freedom loving patriots' is absurd. For every bullet a 'herd thinner' fires a dozen will be coming back and the 'thinners' have to sleep sometime.

No Sir, I see the wealthy hiding in their gated armed camps and paying others to take the risks. Can't buy anything if you are shot dead.

Actually its liberals who want to cower and hide and have government agents do their dirty work

If you are getting your panties in a wad over the rich having wealth, by all means don't advocate the government taxing those people more-WHY DON'T YOU GO AND TAKE WHAT you think you deserve

we will laugh when we read about what happened to you in the newspaper's crime blotter

Actually its liberals who want to cower and hide and have government agents do their dirty work If you are getting your panties in a wad over the rich having wealth, by all means don't advocate the government taxing those people more-WHY DON'T YOU GO AND TAKE WHAT you think you deserve we will laugh when we read about what happened to you in the newspaper's crime blotter

More never been fantasy, tuff guy talk from someone who never walked the walk. :roll:

It won't be 'liberals' who don't like personal ownership of firearms, it will be agents for the tax man who come for the assets. You forget the idea is a law passed to enact a tax which is what governments do. It isn't a riot to attempt to break into the enclaves the wealthy hide in. It will be enforcement of law and a forfeiture of assets if the wealthy don't pay...

I never said I wanted your money- show me where I ever said that- I think the wealthy can pay more taxes- HUGE DIFFERENCE :doh

FYI I don't see many wealthy risking their lives to fight this- if a law is passed they will either run like frightened bunnies or meekly hand over whatever the Gubmint says. (after all 10 million is better than death)

But if flipping the script is what fills your one way range fantasies have at it, reality is going to be quite a shock.

More never been fantasy, tuff guy talk from someone who never walked the walk. :roll:

It won't be 'liberals' who don't like personal ownership of firearms, it will be agents for the tax man who come for the assets. You forget the idea is a law passed to enact a tax which is what governments do. It isn't a riot to attempt to break into the enclaves the wealthy hide in. It will be enforcement of law and a forfeiture of assets if the wealthy don't pay...

I never said I wanted your money- show me where I ever said that- I think the wealthy can pay more taxes- HUGE DIFFERENCE :doh

FYI I don't see many wealthy risking their lives to fight this- if a law is passed they will either run like frightened bunnies or meekly hand over whatever the Gubmint says. (after all 10 million is better than death)

But if flipping the script is what fills your one way range fantasies have at it, reality is going to be quite a shock.

the envy is strong in your posts. I have shot someone up close and personal. You talk the talk but your posts suggest you never walked the walk

I think you are bitter that you are not as wealthy as you think you should be

nothing more nothing less

the envy is strong in your posts. I have shot someone up close and personal. You talk the talk but your posts suggest you never walked the walk

I think you are bitter that you are not as wealthy as you think you should be

nothing more nothing less

Not yet again with this stupid ENVY nonsense. People do not envy your pretend life Turtle. Nobody here does. People take positions because it makes sense to them. Its not about envy.

Its about what its always been about........... American patriotism and community over individual selfishness and greed.

the envy is strong in your posts. I have shot someone up close and personal. You talk the talk but your posts suggest you never walked the walk I think you are bitter that you are not as wealthy as you think you should be nothing more nothing less

LOL... you seem unable to understand anyone but yourself- I don't envy you at all... all your money doesn't seem to have made a happy, well adjusted man- quite the contrary it would appear.

yeah you claim to have shot someone- but like many of your other Commander McBragg stories much of it seems more puff than stuff.

I am wealthier than I ever thought I'd be, lived through more crap than I ever thought I would and enjoy life, even listening to the never beens talk about shooting people- imaginary ones who would come and 'steal' his inherited wealth... :roll:

What most don't realize is there are plenty of consultants with the necessary skills who will do the heavy lifting if the price is right. I met a few as I was in that type business awhile ago. To them its not personal, its just business.

I think its an idea that appeals to losers and failures who are mad that other people have done better than they have. ITs an attempt to enact envy into the law

Ah the Ad hom is back.

What most don't realize is there are plenty of consultants with the necessary skills who will do the heavy lifting if the price is right. I met a few as I was in that type business awhile ago. To them its not personal, its just business.

As I helped train a few 'contractors' during the mad scramble to put mercs on the ground in both Iraq and Afghanistan I know there are quite a few who are now looking for the payscales of those days again. The same fate befell quite a few of them as did factory workers in this country- corps out sourced the work- in this case Eastern Europeans.

What some may not realize is these select individuals are well known to the same folks who would want to enforce any new tax law on the wealthy- it isn't the Bourne Conspiracy in real life. Most of these guys are easily removed from the 'play of the problem' if there was any thought of turning their skill sets against the gubmint. They are not super soldiers- just a few soulless ones... I personally wouldn't bet on any large numbers of mercs deciding to go rogue for a few wealthy types who want to refuse a new tax. I do see the Gubmint looking long and hard at communications between key people to detect a conspiracy to assassinate Gubmint officials.

It is one thing to refuse to pay a tax- quite another to try and hire mercs to kill feds. There may be one or two rich loonies- but my money is on most either flee or quietly hand over the money.

As I helped train a few 'contractors' during the mad scramble to put mercs on the ground in both Iraq and Afghanistan I know there are quite a few who are now looking for the payscales of those days again. The same fate befell quite a few of them as did factory workers in this country- corps out sourced the work- in this case Eastern Europeans.

What some may not realize is these select individuals are well known to the same folks who would want to enforce any new tax law on the wealthy- it isn't the Bourne Conspiracy in real life. Most of these guys are easily removed from the 'play of the problem' if there was any thought of turning their skill sets against the gubmint. They are not super soldiers- just a few soulless ones... I personally wouldn't bet on any large numbers of mercs deciding to go rogue for a few wealthy types who want to refuse a new tax. I do see the Gubmint looking long and hard at communications between key people to detect a conspiracy to assassinate Gubmint officials.

It is one thing to refuse to pay a tax- quite another to try and hire mercs to kill feds. There may be one or two rich loonies- but my money is on most either flee or quietly hand over the money.

The most likely scenario is no tax, because in order to get elected politicos need money. That money comes from the wealthy. Take too much and they find another politico. Of course there are those politicos that get too big, that's what the media is for. Wheels within wheels.

Back
Top Bottom