• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

We won't Burn UP for over a Billion Years!

How does that work out for the global warming craze?

Fox has a "science" section.

pq4f88beee.jpg

Couple of problems here.

1) From the article:

as long as nuclear holocaust, an errant asteroid or some other disaster doesn't intervene, a new study calculates.

In no way does this article suggest that Climate change is, or is not a factor.

You're making that comment without anything to support it.

2) This article focuses strictly to matters of the sun and it's expansion... in regards to creating the possibility of life in our solar system.

You're reaching... and there's nothing to grab.

How does that work out for the global warming craze?

It doesn't look to me that this study took climate science into consideration at all.

Seems like it's only addressing things of an astonomical/cosmological nature.

I'd expect that global warming would fit in the "some other disaster" category:

Article said:
Earth could continue to host life for at least another 1.75 billion years, as long as nuclear holocaust, an errant asteroid or some other disaster doesn't intervene, a new study calculates.

We could probably also include things like rampant over-population, pandemic disease, and the Zombie Apocalypse in that category too.

The article is certainly interesting, but trying to spin it as an anti-global warming argument strikes me as overreaching and absurd.

All it's really saying is that the Earth's orbit isn't going to shift close enough to the Sun to render our planet uninhabitable for almost 2 billion years.

Every other TEOTWAWKI scenario, including climate extremes, seems to remain in play.

It doesn't look to me that this study took climate science into consideration at all.

Seems like it's only addressing things of an astonomical/cosmological nature.

I'd expect that global warming would fit in the "some other disaster" category:

We could probably also include things like rampant over-population, pandemic disease, and the Zombie Apocalypse in that category too.

The article is certainly interesting, but trying to spin it as an anti-global warming argument strikes me as overreaching and absurd.

All it's really saying is that the Earth's orbit isn't going to shift close enough to the Sun to render our planet uninhabitable for almost 2 billion years.

Every other TEOTWAWKI scenario, including climate extremes, seems to remain in play.

New study says threat of man-made global warming greatly exaggerated

A peer-reviewed climate change study released Wednesday by the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change finds the threat of man-made global warming to be not only greatly exaggerated but so small as to be “embedded within the background variability of the natural climate system” and not dangerous.

Read more: New study says threat of man-made global warming greatly exaggerated | Fox News

Is that better

Its a bitch when for years you been told a lie and you make fun of the skeptics to have it turn around and bite you in the ass kinda makes you feel foolish doesn't it

Last edited:
Is that better

Not really.

Your article doesn't make the OP's comments in relation to the OP article any more relevant.

You do understand, of course, that we're discussing the OP in this thread, right?

Hmmm now I'm going to have to step up my plans for world domination.

PINKY WE GOT WORK TO DO!

I'm confused as to why you brought up climate change in an article about the Sun's expansion billions of years from now??

That will be one hell of a change, won't it?

Otherwise, I can't understand the argument. "The Sun will expand in a billion years, therefore there is no global warming?" That doesn't make any sense as a tautology. I like beer, therefore Canada is North of the equator. Disprove that!

A study by the UN would seem to make us wish the world would end sooner:
If, for the sake of illustration, the fertility of countries is kept constant at 1995-2000 levels, the world
population soars to 244 billion by 2150 and 134 trillion in 2300, a definitely impossible outcome. All
of this increase occurs in the less developed regions, whose population rises from 4.9 billion today to
134 trillion in 2300. In sharp contrast, the population of the more developed regions declines from 1.2
billion in 2000 to 0.6 billion in 2300 were its fertility to remain constant at current levels. Among the
less developed regions, Africa, with its very high current fertility levels, grows most rapidly, passing from
0.8 billion in 2000 to 115 trillion in 2300 in the illustrative constant-fertility scenario.

Think it's hard to get a parking space now? Think of competing with a few trillion others.

I didn't think Fox viewers were able to acknowledge that the Earth is billions of years old, let alone that it will last for billions more.

I didn't think Fox viewers were able to acknowledge that the Earth is billions of years old, let alone that it will last for billions more.

I didn't know that Fox actually had articles by scientists. Amazing the things you learn.

The Earth can expect to get hit by a major asteroid (15km +) every 75 to 100 million years as the solar system passes through the the disc of the galaxy. These extiction events will most likely do us or our evolutonary descendents in long before we need worry about this stuff !

Unless we send up a nuke to blow it out of the sky, of course.

I can hear the debate going on now:
"The asteroid is coming, we must act!"
"You're just an alarmist, wanting to expand government. It's a hoax, I tell you."
"It's real, and it is headed our way.
"Says who?"
"Says every scientific organization on Earth."
"But, here's a blog saying that it's a hoax. Who are we to believe?"

Wups. Too late. The rock hit the Pacific Ocean, causing a tidal wave thousands of meters high, sending plumes of steam into the air and disrupting ecosystems all over the Earth. The few humans who survive the flood have to contend with famine. After it is over, and homo sapiens is once again only a few roving bands of hunter gatherers, then they retell legends about how the scientists tried to put one over on us.

"You're just an alarmist, wanting to expand government. It's a hoax, I tell you."
"Says who?"

Wups. Too late. The rock hit the Pacific Ocean, causing a tidal wave thousands of meters high, sending plumes of steam into the air and disrupting ecosystems all over the Earth. The few humans who survive the flood have to contend with famine. After it is over, and homo sapiens is once again only a few roving bands of hunter gatherers, then they retell legends about how the scientists tried to put one over on us.

Don't forget the frighteningly real contingent of people in this country who actually think that an all powerful god will prevent such a catastrophe from occurring. They think magical intervention will knock the asteroid out of the way or evaporate it into nothing or some kind of flashy miracle. And these people will make decisions that affect the rest of us based on this.

Don't forget the frighteningly real contingent of people in this country who actually think that an all powerful god will prevent such a catastrophe from occurring. They think magical intervention will knock the asteroid out of the way or evaporate it into nothing or some kind of flashy miracle. And these people will make decisions that affect the rest of us based on this.

Scary, isn't it?

Scary, isn't it?

Not quite as scary as say a religion based on a science fiction writers series of books from the 1980's, who's followers are among the richest people in the world, most admired and famous.

Not quite as scary as say a religion based on a science fiction writers series of books from the 1980's, who's followers are among the richest people in the world, most admired and famous.

Actually no. While Scientology looks more obviously nutty, it's only because we're more used to the nuttiness of old religions. And I have yet to hear of any murders, crazed torturers, child rapes, or any other heinous crimes committed for Scientology.

"Says who?"

That asteroid is coming. Therefore there is no global warming.

Strawman much?

Or is this another part of the argument: The sun will expand in a billion years and scientologists are crazy. Therefore there is no global warming?

Back
Top Bottom