• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'We Will Not Be Silent': MP Speaks Out Amid Claims Russian Soldiers Are Raping Ukrainian Women

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'We Will Not Be Silent': MP Speaks Out Amid Claims Russian Soldiers Are Raping Ukrainian Women

iu

Ukraine MP Maria Mezentseva

A Ukrainian MP today said they will “not be silent” about the horror of rapes being committed against women by Russian soldiers. Maria Mezentseva recounted allegations that a Ukrainian woman was raped by soldiers in front of her young child after they had killed her husband. She said while that case had been publicly talked about, there were “many more victims” who will need support in the future. Mezentseva said details of such incidents must be recorded as they happen because “justice has to prevail”. She told Sky’s Sophy Ridge On Sunday programme: “There is one case which was very widely discussed recently because it’s been recorded and proceeded with [by] the prosecutor’s office, and we’re not going into details, but it’s quite a scary scene when a civilian was shot dead in his house in a small town next to Kyiv. “His wife was – I’m sorry but I have to say it – raped several times in front of her underage child.”

Mezentseva, who was speaking from western Ukraine, said the country could benefit from the experience of other countries in how to help victims in the aftermath of war. She said: “There are many more victims rather than just this one case which has been made public by the prosecutor general. “And of course, we are expecting many more of them, which will be public once victims will be ready to talk about that.” She insisted: “We will definitely not be silent.” The MP also said there had been two incidents reported in the past week where Russian soldiers had been accused of shooting at civilians queuing for humanitarian aid.

Thr Russians rape and murder women because women are vulnerable "pressure points" to force capitulation.

iu

Ukraine MP Maria Mezentseva

Thr Russians rape and murder women because women are vulnerable "pressure points" to force capitulation.
Sadly, this happens in every war. Women are seen as defenseless and easy targets for those who feel they can exercise power over them. Soldiers of every country have been guilty of this, including our own troops. Russia however had a terrible reputation in WWII for taking those "spoils of war" far more often than most.

History keeps on repeating;

"Rape was always part of the war. From ancient times to the battlefields of the 20th century, armies raped women. The Roman army was no exception. The Roman soldiers raped women and young boys.

According to Roman law, the possibility of being charged with rape depended on the victim’s social status. Forced sexual intercourse with slaves, prostitutes, and foreign women was not considered rape.

The Roman army was notorious for rapes during the war. For the Romans, war was always a total war and everything was allowed. When the soldiers captured an enemy city, they were free to rape women and young boys. The rape didn’t serve only as instant sexual gratification and anger relief; it was also revenge and subjugation of the conquered people". https://historyofyesterday.com/love-lives-of-roman-soldiers-80728bf2012e

Unless it was filmed I believe nothing from either side in this war.

And even then you wouldn't believe it.

"January 6 was just a few tourists that got out of hand".

Indeed. But that doesn't mean you just dummy up about it and ignore it.
Agreed. However, even when we know about it we do nothing. It's not like Russia has the monopoly on rape during wartime;

"Gina Marie Weaver, in her book Ideologies of Forgetting: Rape in The Vietnam War, finds that rape of Vietnamese women by American troops during the US invasion of Vietnam was a “widespread”, “everyday occurrence” that was essentially “condoned”, even encouraged, by the military, and had its foundation in military training and US culture. She explores why US rape in Vietnam was so common, and why this aspect of US behavior has been virtually “erased” from “narratives of the war”.

Agreed. However, even when we know about it we do nothing. It's not like Russia has the monopoly on rape during wartime;

"Gina Marie Weaver, in her book Ideologies of Forgetting: Rape in The Vietnam War, finds that rape of Vietnamese women by American troops during the US invasion of Vietnam was a “widespread”, “everyday occurrence” that was essentially “condoned”, even encouraged, by the military, and had its foundation in military training and US culture. She explores why US rape in Vietnam was so common, and why this aspect of US behavior has been virtually “erased” from “narratives of the war”.

Your employing Whataboutism and poor logic.

This thread is about Ukraine, and two wrongs don't make it acceptable

Your employing Whataboutism and poor logic.

This thread is about Ukraine, and two wrongs don't make it acceptable
Agreed it's not acceptable! Rape is never acceptable. No matter who does it and for what reasons.

And even then you wouldn't believe it.

"January 6 was just a few tourists that got out of hand".
The full quote was,

Unless it was filmed I believe nothing from either side in this war. Even if it was filmed I take it with a grain of salt. Too much propaganda everywhere.
Context matters.

The full quote was,

Context matters.
Pirate, this accusation has been made public by the prosecutor general and an MP. It is apparently being prosecuted, which means the victim is 'proving it' somehow. Witnesses, rape kit? I don't know, but I don't see any reason to question it, considering how unsurprising it is that invading soldiers are engaging in rape. It's SOP, I guess. You've heard about Genghis Khan's dna, right?

Pirate, this accusation has been made public by the prosecutor general and an MP. It is apparently being prosecuted, which means the victim is 'proving it' somehow. Witnesses, rape kit? I don't know, but I don't see any reason to question it, considering how unsurprising it is that invading soldiers are engaging in rape. It's SOP, I guess. You've heard about Genghis Khan's dna, right?
Its propaganda until proven otherwise. Sorry but that is just how I see it. SOP for rape? Are you daft? Soldiers have better more pressing concerns, like not getting shot or worse. Rapes in war time don't happen usually during battles or near frontlines. Rapes tend occur in captured fairly secure areas were control of the populous is fairly certain and the soldiers are bored or unoccupied with other duties.

Its propaganda until proven otherwise. Sorry but that is just how I see it. SOP for rape? Are you daft? Soldiers have better more pressing concerns, like not getting shot or worse. Rapes in war time don't happen usually during battles or near frontlines. Rapes tend occur in captured fairly secure areas were control of the populous is fairly certain and the soldiers are bored or unoccupied with other duties.
I'm just going by what others have posted here. I was never a soldier, so I can only go by what has happened before in other places.

Sadly, this happens in every war. Women are seen as defenseless and easy targets for those who feel they can exercise power over them. Soldiers of every country have been guilty of this, including our own troops. Russia however had a terrible reputation in WWII for taking those "spoils of war" far more often than most.

This happens a lot more frequently when there's a breakdown in command and control of the military. Professional armies don't do this sort of thing. Russia's units in Ukraine are obviously not that professional. They're traumatized. They were sent into a 'battle exercise' and have in many cases been running for their lives as they've watched their comrades and commanders get their heads blown off. Trauma brings out different things in different people and different groups of people. Blind rage and a desire to inflict pain on a perceived enemy is one of those reactions.

Regardless of the psychology behind it, it's still grossly criminal behavior and needs to be documented.

You [Rogue Valley] act like am paid to be on the board. I kinda wish I was.

I feel you. If you know how many times I have been accused of being on Kremlin payroll. Even this morning someone told me my Roubles I received from the Kremlin are now worth rubbish. To tell you the truth, I dont even know what a Rouble looks like. If I keep getting accused of being on Kremlin payroll I may have to complain to Moscow that someone is stealing the checks they send to me :)

Like Nanjing after the Japanese invaded? They were not unoccupied bored guys. Read a book. This site has a preview for you:

Like Nanjing after the Japanese invaded? They were not unoccupied bored guys. Read a book. This site has a preview for you:
They didnt do any of the real nasty stuff until AFTER the areas were secured more or less. Bored or unoccupied. Either way bad things happen.

Back
Top Bottom