• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"We want to outlaw abortion in Oklahoma"

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"We want Oklahoma to be the most pro-life state," or something like that.

Let's try to have a good discussion on abortion.

If you want to watch an excellent documentary about why abortion is necessary:

Hands down the number one reason why abortion is "necessary" for most is convenience (what most will call "social and economic reasons")- so they don't have to pay the consequences for having had sex and managing to get pregnant in the process.

Statistically, that's about 96.5% of all reasons. All other reasons add up to about 3.5%. Source

Hands down the number one reason why abortion is "necessary" for most is convenience (what most will call "social and economic reasons")- so they don't have to pay the consequences for having had sex and managing to get pregnant in the process.

Statistically, that's about 96.5% of all reasons. All other reasons add up to about 3.5%. Source

You will forgive me, EdwinWillers, but are anti-abortion laws meant to protect innocent life, or to punish (i.e., impose consequences) on women for wanton sexual promiscuity?

Now that's a trustworthy source. Here's their tagline...
"Empowering you to build a pro-life, pro-family world."

You will forgive me, EdwinWillers, but are anti-abortion laws meant to protect innocent life, or to punish (i.e., impose consequences) on women for wanton sexual promiscuity?
Is that a rhetorical question?:unsure:

...and which age group of men most support the "punish" choice?

Your opinion is noted but theres no facts that make it true, thanks!

I was responding to the OP's comment about the video and specifically, "why abortion is necessary." The reasons for abortion are many - and invariably subjective - but the statistics clean up a lot of such subjectivity, making the discussion more objective - and hence the point I made.

But re your question on the purpose of abortion laws - "to protect" or "to punish" - the obvious answer is.... "yes."

But that too is a subjective question; and it also depends on the law and one's interpretation of its supposed purpose. One might similarly ask if laws against murder are "to protect" or "to punish." Unlike what we see in many abortion arguments, we rarely get the question "don't laws against murder punish the battered housewife [who committed it]?" Ostensibly, there being mitigating reasons for committing murder, ergo, murder laws are somehow wrong - at least in those circumstances - and not discounting the fact that some reasons are in fact legitimate. That said, I don't have the statistics, but I daresay safety (battered spouse) isn't the number one reason people commit murder.

As far as abortion goes - the "mitigating reasons" put forth most frequently - i.e. rape, incest, safety of mother, and to a lesser extent the "future quality of life of the child" - such reasons honestly account for just a fraction of the reasons most provide for getting one. And this is indisputable (despite the fact that contrarians for abortion will dispute whatever facts don't comport with their world view).

Last edited:

Since when are things like making sure you keep your job, can put food on the table, keep a roof over your family's heads, uphold your obligations and commitments to church, community, employer, society, etc 'conveniences?" They're all necessities in life, and civilities and expectations in one's social contract. Is staying off welfare 'a convenience?'

No woman has an abortion unless she needs it. Your opinion of that "need" is meaningless, since you dont know her circumstances and you wont pay her consequences.

Btw, what's wrong with having an abortion? Please be specific?

Now that's a trustworthy source. Here's their tagline...
"Empowering you to build a pro-life, pro-family world."
Well, you're welcome to provide stats of your own that refute theirs.

But hey, we might just pooh pooh them right now as being obviously untrustworthy as you did with mine, so what'd be the point, right?

I was responding to the OP's comment about the video and specifically, "why abortion is necessary." The reasons for abortion are many - and invariably subjective - but the statistics clean up a lot of such subjectivity, making the discussion more objective - and hence the point I made.

and that point completely failed because it was based on nothing more than your subjective feelings and opinions, nothing of factual or objective value

Mighty CONVENIENT that your body will never be ravaged by pregnancy and childbirth, eh?

Are you also for people with AIDS 'paying consequences'?

How should men 'pay consequences' for having sex?

Mighty CONVENIENT that your body will never be ravaged by pregnancy and childbirth, eh?
Mighty CONVENIENT that the world revolves around you and you alone, eh?

What an asinine and pointless comment. "Ravaged by pregnancy and childbirth?" I don't discount the travail a woman goes through during pregnancy, or the sheer pain of giving birth - and I'm glad I don't have to go through it myself. But don't EVER assume you're the only one affected by pregnancy - let alone an unwanted one or in a serious way.

But thanks for lending support to the stat that convenience is the most common reason.

Are you also for punishing people that have AIDS?
WTBH??? Do you hate ladders and kittens?

I'm serious - get a primer on how to read, because clearly you struggle in this area.

But thanks for lending support to the stat that convenience is the most common reason.

So what if "convenience" were the most common reason for abortion?

Net result of this and every other law of it’s ilk is that most women who want an abortion will go to another state to get one and those who can’t because they can’t afford it will either do it illegally or have the child. If you can’t afford to drive to the next state you certainly can’t afford to raise a child. So the kid and mom are pretty much doomed to poverty. Eff’in brilliant.

I'm going to ignore your trolling.
Who's trolling? In your opening post you state your purpose for this thread - to have a "good discussion on abortion" and you include a video on "why abortion is necessary."
Let's try to have a good discussion on abortion.
Then I make a comment about its "necessity" and you respond with this inanity that has nothing whatsoever to do with abortion or why abortion is necessary and which does, in fact, derail your own thread by completely changing the topic from abortion to gay men having sex and AIDS:
Are you also for people with AIDS 'paying consequences'?

How should men 'pay consequences' for having sex?
When you DO respond to what I actually said, your response is a snarky "so what?" - ignoring the fact that I provided the "so what" in the very comment to which you responded.

You're all over the map, my friend. You don't know what your own topic is and can't seem to effectively read other's responses so your response seems to be... to snark.

....and I'm the one trolling?

Who's trolling? In your opening post you state your purpose for this thread - to have a "good discussion on abortion" and you include a video on "why abortion is necessary."

Then I make a comment about its "necessity" and you respond with this inanity that has nothing whatsoever to do with abortion or why abortion is necessary and which does, in fact, derail your own thread by completely changing the topic from abortion to gay men having sex and AIDS:
When you DO respond to what I actually said, your response is a snarky "so what?" - ignoring the fact that I provided the "so what" in the very comment to which you responded.

You're all over the map, my friend. You don't know what your own topic is and can't seem to effectively read other's responses so your response seems to be... to snark.

....and I'm the one trolling?

Address your "pay the consequences for having had sex" and the punishment aspect of that by replying to my #13 or don't.

My 'so what if abortion is for convenience' wasn't snark. If we're going to get down to what your objections to abortion are specifically with regard to what you've already said in this thread, then you can answer those questions and leave the drama out.

Ok. So what? Let's assume you're correct. What's wrong with the "convenience" of not having to lug around another organism inside your body for 9 months, and not having your body permanently altered against your will?

Mighty CONVENIENT that the world revolves around you and you alone, eh?

What an asinine and pointless comment. "Ravaged by pregnancy and childbirth?" I don't discount the travail a woman goes through during pregnancy, or the sheer pain of giving birth - and I'm glad I don't have to go through it myself. But don't EVER assume you're the only one affected by pregnancy - let alone an unwanted one or in a serious way.

Nothing wrong w/ convenience.

I never said I was the only one affected by pregnancy. Nor did I say the world revolves around me. smh

Back
Top Bottom